• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165460 by
A J.u.s.t Jedi Manual
By: The Keeper
The Lessons of Jedi Manners & Etiquette
Presented by Gathered Force Community

A Jedi is a representative of the Force and the Community at large. Our actions determines our worth and ability to be heard. If we cannot respect and show proper manners and etiquette, then, no matter how indepth and worthy your teachings and lessons are to an indavidual the true person missing out is you. Not those that judge you for your actions.

As one of the Jedi Behaviors states:

Honor The Jedi Order
"When a Jedi behaves badly in public, an observer might think, 'If this Jedi is a representative of the whole Order, then plainly no Jedi is worth respect.' On meeting a second Jedi, who behaves better than the first, that same person might think, 'Does this say that half the Jedi are good, and half bad?' On meeting a third Jedi, who behaves as well as the second, the person thinks, 'Was the first Jedi an exception, then?' In this way, only by the good behavior of several Jedi can the public be certain that the poor behavior of one Jedi was unusual. Thus, it takes many Jedi to undo the mistakes of one."
―Odan-Urr[src]

Every action a Jedi made reflected on the Order. Good deeds boosted the Order's reputation, but poor behavior sometimes caused incurable damage. Jedi were taught to remember that each person they met might not have set eyes upon a Jedi before, and that the acts of the particular Jedi that person would influence their perception of the Jedi Order as a whole.

Below are several chapters based on Jedi Manners and Etiquette by the beliefs and practices of J.u.s.t Jedi. Thank you for your participation and support *bows*

Ch. I - Announce Yourself

Guests:

No one likes a lurker. That's just weird and just a tiny bit creepy ;)

Of course on the internet it is easy to Lurk without the weird and creepy part. But it is still proper etiquette to, at the very least, announce your position. Most online community forums will have an “Introduction” category for just this purpose! Even if you feel as if you are not so good at the whole “Talk about me” thing, you can follow a simple format that will be quite sufficient and will give you the opportunity to learn more about the place you are lurking.

Name: Give your Name! Or at least your online ID name ;)

Where are you from?: Some of the members come from multiple Jedi (or other) communities. It helps to state what other communities you are a member of so that others from those same locations can relate to your experience and give you a little support.

What is your Occupation: Tell a little about yourself! What do you do in the “Really Real World?” Are you a mom/father? Student? Instructor? You don't need to go into full details but just like above, letting people know a little about the things you love and enjoy will help the members of said community relate and support you.

Show Interest: Tell why you are there. Is there anything in specific you liked about the community to prompt your introduction? Do you have any questions about the place? It's members? It's process? Now is a great time to ask!

Members & Initiates: You are not required to greet new members and say hi. But it sure would be helpful to the Knights and Administration if you did! Remember that the head staff is always very busy and by helping with the small things, such as making a new guest feel welcome, is a great start to behaving and acting like a Jedi.

Apprentices: This. Apprentice, should be a requirement. Some communities may not say so or expect it. But part of having proper manners and etiquette is by doing the things not asked of you. You are the doorman, you are the eyes, ears and the representative voice of your Master. S/he cannot always be there to welcome guests and perform the small tasks of social interactions and depends on you to stand out not only for him/her but for yourself and your ability to show your involvement in the community.

Knights: The vast majority of the Community should already know how busy you are and respect what you do to keep things running smoothly. But part of the process to that job of your's is to get to know the people you serve. The sooner you can make yourself known through involvement and participation in welcoming members and answering questions is to build a measure of trust and familiarity so that when a problem does arise...the guests and members know it is ok to approach you. If you hide behind the Knights sections of the community and get so involved in your work that none of the members really know who you are besides “That one knight” then you will find yourself in a tense and unfriendly situations later down the road because you didn't take the time to show you cared for “The little people”

Author Note:
I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it here, or create a "Second" Journal. I decided it might spur some good conversation so...here it is. I will be adding to this with new chapters over the week(s) I hope all enjoy *Bows*
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165495 by Edan
I agree with everything except....

No one likes a lurker. That's just weird and just a tiny bit creepy

I message almost every new member and remind them to introduce themself... that said, I lurked here for a long while before I joined. Some people are just trying to pluck up the courage to speak, and some just trying to figure things out, some join and change their mind.
Sometimes you don't want to announce yourself because you realise you are not sure if you are staying.

I think part of the safety of places like TOTJO is being able to lurk without feeling pressured.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Edan.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165499 by
Thank you for your comment. Although I am wondering if you caught the ( ;) ) and the following line which states "Of course on the internet it is easy to Lurk without the weird and creepy part."

While it is not discouraged to lurk and many do so. I have. It is important for members to always remind people that it IS ok to announce yourself. The more a person is given encouragment and instructions like the lesson above...it helps quail these fears that causes "Lurking"

:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #165502 by
What you said here makes great sense, but it is something that I have been doing since the start. No one ever told me I HAD to do it or that I SHOULD do it, I just do it. I try to greet every new person that comes here just for the sake of being polite and giving everyone I can some encouragement. I like to let people know that we are genuine here and that we WANT to help them, if they so seek it.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Re-phrasing

More
9 years 6 months ago #165503 by Breeze el Tierno
Thank you. Etiquette is key.

-or-

Rudeness is a poor substitute for strength.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , rugadd, Edan

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165507 by

Silvermane wrote: What you said here makes great sense, but it is something that I have been doing since the start. No one ever told me I HAD to do it or that I SHOULD do it, I just do it. I try to greet every new person that comes here just for the sake of being polite and giving everyone I can some encouragement. I like to let people know that we are genuine here and that we WANT to help them, if they so seek it.

I am quite certain many of us already knows about proper manners and etiquette and already applies it into their daily postings :) I am in no means suggesting you or anyone here does not do it. I just thought it was a fun thing to write up. *Shrugs*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165511 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: I am quite certain many of us already knows about proper manners and etiquette and already applies it into their daily postings :) I am in no means suggesting you or anyone here does not do it. I just thought it was a fun thing to write up. *Shrugs*

I apologize. I was edifying what you wrote. I should have added that it is good to have something like this written up because some people may not understand these things. Considering we all come from diverse backgrounds, we do not know how each other was raised and if that included Manners and/or Etiquette. And whose to say that what we believe is Manners and Etiquette isn't insulting someone elses culture? There is nothing wrong with taking the time to greet new people and making all feel welcome.

I just want people to know that I believe things like this need to be written up and viewed for those who don't know or understand what would be considered respectable etiquette.

So, thank you Kitsu Tails. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165514 by
*bows*

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #165699 by
A J.u.s.t Jedi Manual
By: The Keeper
The Lessons of Jedi Manners & Etiquette
Presented by Gathered Force Community

Ch. II Familiarize Yourself Through Research & Participation.

Guests: Once you have made your introduction it is time to get to know the place better. It is quite likely you have already “Ghosted” the community and read some or a lot of their content. But let us do it one more time...Just to be safe.

Make special care to note the communities Rules & Guidelines, FAQ's, and Staff Contact lists. These will be the most helpful to you when trying to communicate within the community. Also take a moment to note the main forms of communication here. See the Forums?

The Forums are a great method of communication that has been used in our community for over 20 years. It allows for us to discuss topics with detailed commentary

Chatroom – Chatrooms are great for more one on one back to forth communication, you can almost find one at any community which allows for multiple members to join and converse and a higher speed of communication than is found on forums.

A new addition to some of our communities are what is called a “Wall” It is just like facebook. You can post statuses and things that happen within the community will post up on the wall as well, making it really easy to find where the action is!

Another new addition are “Groups” These groups are also like facebook and allows you to create your very own little Niche

Journals – These are very important in a lot of our communities. Some Journals are actual blog like applications. Others is just a specified location on the forum. You simply create a thread in the Journal Category. Name it [your name Journal] and each journal entry becomes a new post.

Profiles can be quite elaborate, or very simple depending on which community you join. This is just a place for all of your general information such as contact, your Private Messaging box, avatar, signature...Take a look and fill your way around.

The above are just some of the great perks of community life within the Jedi foundations and it ok to try them out now! Just say hi. Or if you find a topic that calls to you. Go with the flow and don't be shy....we don't bite....much ;) At the worst simply say you are “New” and you will find plenty of members to help guide you along the way.

Initiates: Depending on which community you join being an Initate can either mean you have been here for awhile and finely made the decision to join a program. Or you are quite new and still feeling things out. Either way this is a great time to ask questions, in a lot of ways this is just as much research as it is looking through site structures. Ask about the Code, ask about The Force, ask about relationships, ask about purpose, about direction, ask ask ask... And log away the answers either to memory or in your Journal. Perhaps reflect upon the conversations you have had and how they make you feel. Participation is part of learning.

Apprentice: While it is asked for Initiates to “Ask” questions. It is your chance to “Answer” these questions. Through answering you learn more about yourself and about your beliefs. You may find through the “Answering” of simple, common questions that your beliefs are a little different, advanced, or in need of improvement. Don't be afraid to answer and show off what you know. Your Master is most likely watching and grading your efforts. ;)

While in the process of Answering questions however. It is important that you slow down and think your responses through. Stop. Read, edit and re-read again. Put yourself on the otherside of the conversation and ask yourself “Is there anyway this can be misunderstood?” and “How can I refine this to be the most clear in words?” While you may Intend to write in a none conflicting manner...it may not come out that way to someone else reading it. If you are unsure...it is ok to leave your reply hanging on a separate document program, stand up, get a drink, do some yard work and come back to further refine your post. You do not have to answer questions right away, you do not have to be the first person to do so, you do not have make the world record of most posts in five minuets. Step back. Slow Down. And be your own worst Editor. Remember, words are very powerful...use them with the same care you would a sharpened blade.

Knights: While you may have been here the longest, and have the most experience within this community. There are still plenty of new guests and members who do not know anything about you. Your participation within the communities conversations helps to bridge the gap. Even if you have had repeated yourself a hundred times over, be ready to do it a hundred time's more. It is your job to stand with your peers, support their efforts and to remember....you were once just like them....trying to learn and feel accepted in this grand community you represent.

When it does come time to do your job and monitor the actions of others within a conversations. Don't disrupt a thread with your disciplinary actions by posting it in there. PM the person who has caused offense and handle it in private. This is the polite and respectful course of action not only to the person you are reprimanding, but to everyone else in the thread.

Things like “Please, Calm down.” or “Relax” or “This is your warning.”

When you take disciplinary action inside of a thread it not only derails the conversation, but it makes the person feel disrespected and perhaps even humiliated for being called out in public. They may attempt to defend themselves, or try to explain and refine their comment which further causes derailment of the conversation. If there are more than one “offender” then make more PM's to each of these individuals, or one massive PM to all involved in the offense so that they can all hash it out and refine their words in private. Thus, leaving the topic and thread on course.

This also allows for the members to correct their own faults publicly. It allows them the appearance of doing the right thing thanks to your feedback in PM and others will respect him more for his own corrective actions vs sputtering excuses in a public offense.

More
9 years 6 months ago #165780 by Breeze el Tierno
Okay. I'm a noob.

What does J.U.S.T stand for?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi