Jedi Funerals

More
9 years 6 months ago #163534 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Jedi Funerals
Why do humans require such respect, when the animal kingdom does not recognize such- even in many cultures where it is believed they have spirits, the human body is treated with more respect than that of an animal... (save Ancient Egyptian, then the royal pets get treated with equal respect)

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163536 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Funerals
Alethea, I believe it is just a cultural aspect that many people are raised with. That animals are beneath us, and "Oh well if they die, it's just an animal". Having living in the southern part of the United States, that is a common thing I hear around here. That has never been my thoughts, nor has it been my families. Back at my parents house, they have a total of 3 dogs, and 2 cats. (1 cat and dog are mine though, because the place I was living at would not allow pets :/ ) All of our animals have always been treated like members of the family, and are treated with respect. We have bent over backwards for a lot of our animals, and their developing medical conditions. (We have a boxer that is 9 years old, and is still as healthy and youthful as a 2 year old dog). Though, I can't speak for other people, only what I have seen and witness, and practice in my daily life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163546 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Why do humans require such respect, )

Because we (group we, not us we) think we are more important or better. Arrogant and the cause of our enviromental problems too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163583 by

Why do humans require such respect

Because we treat each other like crap in life, we might as well give each other at least one good day.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163586 by
I would rather have that good day while im alive. Its not going to matter when im dead.

Also, I dont know who you are surrounding yourself with, but I would change your environment.

More
9 years 6 months ago #163588 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Funerals
The justification with the vultures is not the circle of life AFAIK, but rather that bits of the deceased's spirit might be spread far and wide around the world to enable the best rebirth possible.... since birds can fly. Up at the higher altitudes perhaps the body does not decompose as fast, and it would be a bit jarring seeing the only slightly rotted body of your loved one each spring as the snow melted!!!

I think I'd like my brain 'frozen' and my skull kept on a shelf somewhere to watch TV.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 6 months ago #163590 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi Funerals

Adder wrote: I think I'd like my brain 'frozen' and my skull kept on a shelf somewhere to watch TV.

For research, as an ornament, or to have your consciousness transferred at a later date?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
9 years 6 months ago #163591 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Jedi Funerals
As I would be appropriating the practice of sky burial, my intentions may not line up with the original intentions of the Tibetan culture. My thought is twofold. The first is to put my body back into the natural environment as quickly as possible. The second is to purposefully not enshrine the body. This body is made of the earth and I intend to give that matter and energy back when I am done with it. But also, I find most of our funeral practices to be about denying that the death happened or to fight the fact of it. The preservation of bodies. The tombs and waterproof boxes. I find I antithetical to my Jedi practice.

Withe regard to the fiction, I think the cremation was about not leaving anything behind. No trace. Just ash that the wind will take.

That said, Adder, I fully support your skull and television plan. The heads in jars from futurama are good too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163592 by
Phortis said:

Why do humans require such respect

Because we treat each other like crap in life, we might as well give each other at least one good day.

Khaos said:

I would rather have that good day while im alive. Its not going to matter when im dead.

Also, I dont know who you are surrounding yourself with, but I would change your environment.

I'm sorry, I forgot the little smiley face thingy. It was a poor attempt at humor. So here it is...better late than never :woohoo:

More
9 years 6 months ago #163609 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Funerals

Edan wrote:

Adder wrote: I think I'd like my brain 'frozen' and my skull kept on a shelf somewhere to watch TV.

For research, as an ornament, or to have your consciousness transferred at a later date?

Hopefully not ice cream, but in all seriousness for consciousness transference it might work better with some type of scan and virtualization, or combination of scan and cryogenics. I don't know if they can scan enough info yet with current tech and understanding to really pull it off.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi