Jedi Funerals

More
9 years 7 months ago #163102 by Breeze el Tierno
Anyone here going to die someday?
Yeah, me too.

The topic of the Jedi funeral came up in a conversation earlier today. I am interested in perspectives.

For the purposes of the discussion, please do not get hung up on the fiction. If you like cremation, well and good. Please don't feel bound to it.

How would you like a Jedi funeral to proceed? Disposal of the body is not the big question. My friend wants the Viking burning boat. I am interested in the Tibetan sky burial. Not that important. Tell me about the structure. Who speaks? What is said? How long or short? What is the intended mood? Tell me the story of the Jedi funeral that comes to your mind.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #163104 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Funerals
I believe that a person's funeral should be however they want it. If they did not take the time to lay out how they wanted it then their closest relative (significant other, oldest child, parent, etc depending on circumstance) should hopefully be able to determine how they would have wanted it.

For me, I'm still on the fence but I'm thinking cremation (I know you said not to get hung up on it but it's a part of how I want it done). Then I want it to be a celebration of life, not just my own either. Talk a about me but make it fun stories. If people don't laugh I will find a way to haunt them. I want there to be great food and to play my favorite music. As far as people speaking, of every funeral I've ever been to the person who I liked listening to the least was the priest. They made everything about God (the only funerals I've been to have been Christian) and not about the person who died. It seemed like they had no idea what to say so they just read passeges from a book that the deceased may or may not have even been that fond of.

I wouldn't mind if the Jedi creed were said by someone. I'd rather like it actually. But after that it should be about fun and celebrating me rejoining the Force.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #163106 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi Funerals
I used to want to be cremated, but I don't really want my family and friends' last memories of me to be the inside of a crematorium. I don't want my death to be associated with death... if you understand my point.

There is a place not far from where I live, open countryside, where you can be buried and a tree will be planted above you. Personally I'd rather that because, firstly, it is outside and away from the paraphernalia of death and, secondly, because the last thing everyone else will remember is something alive. I don't really want anyone mourning me over a piece of stone.

As a Jedi, being buried out in nature feels kind of appropriate as an emphasis on movement of life back to the Force.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno,

More
9 years 7 months ago #163108 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Jedi Funerals
Open air cremation in full regalia. Family may speak. Physicists eulogy read. Big party afterword. Likely to have fireworks hidden in the pire.

rugadd

More
9 years 7 months ago #163109 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Jedi Funerals
Screw, it, anyone can speak.

rugadd

More
9 years 7 months ago #163111 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi Funerals
Due to the day in age we live in, reality is after your death wether in a hospital or not, your ashes will be and can be shipped to you UPS. Sadly the day in age of the family tending to the dead no longer exist, and medically speaking thats a good thing, but the question is how to remember....My plan is to be burned and my ashes, Only my one true love will let the ocean have whatever she wants from me then the rest will be given back to the Force. Ilive a small part in a grand scheme of things. We are all conected in some way shape or form.. As quietly as i slipped into this relm is how i want to leave it. I live in hopes that my family and friends use me now for their lifs and choices as well as in the future, and this i thinkis becoming a good part of the FORCE. This is my plan. It is goo dto plan ahead and have things ready so when the time comes it speaks well of you to have been prepared. Meditate on how you wished to be remembered, for me no partys or ceremonies just pure memories..for when i am gone i will live on. Hope it helps.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
9 years 7 months ago #163113 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi Funerals

carlos.martinez3 wrote: Due to the day in age we live in, reality is after your death wether in a hospital or not, your ashes will be and can be shipped to you UPS.

Are crematoriums at hospitals in the US then? Here you collect your relatives ashes yourself..

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
9 years 7 months ago #163115 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Jedi Funerals
Edan... no but you have to send the body away for the procedure. It is usually the funeral homes who do the actual services and they have the means to do the burning and ash as well as the dressing and "mounting" so to speak.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #163117 by
I'm hoping that the people who attend my funeral would, whether they believe it themselves, understand that death for me wasn't an ending as in finality but an ending of one phase of existence and into a new one (the Force). Hopefully they'd throw my carcass in the dumpster in the alleyway and have a raging party.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #163120 by
Being from a "decidedly Irish" family, we're pretty good at throwing ridiculous parties when someone passes on. Granted these are mostly Catholic wakes, but I think my family will make an exception for a Jedi if it means they can all get together and drink.

I'd like to be cremated only because I don't see the sense of taking up valuable space in nature for a giant box. I also think it expedites the process of dispersing the chemical parts of me back into the universe so they can fulfill their destiny.

I've left a few short words concerning my feelings about death and the Force that I would like to be read. Death, yet the Force and all that it means to me. If people want to make it about Star Wars and choose to believe that I will come back as a blue ghost that shows up with sage advice, then I will oblige and haunt them for my own amusement.

At our funerals we like to sing, we dance, we get loud, we get drunk, and we let whatever feelings come. It isn't a party until someone punches someone else and then hugs them five minutes later. Then it's time to get on with the business of living. I would expect nothing less from my family when I move on, extended Jedi family included.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi