Jedi Funerals

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163355 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Funerals
I do wonder if burning the corpse was in some way meant to point to some component of belief in the fictional model of Jediism... like the corpse being eaten (by microbes, bugs or animals) in some way interfered with the "Force bodies" connection to the Force - but I think that would probably make Jedi vegetarian as I doubt they'd be too keen to be hypocrite's about it.

Otherwise it would seem more logical that they would have buried their dead, as the life Force within them could have been spread to other life forms - reinforcing the Force. But they didn't.... perhaps its just a made up story
:silly:

So I currently have no opinion in that regard (yet), but yes, as a healing ceremony for any surviving friends/relatives - whatever they deem most fitting.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Adder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163413 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Funerals
I'm not sure how a Jedi funeral would be any different than any other Religions? You pretty much document your last wishes for others to act on and and they do what is best for themselves upon your transition.

FYI Burn me, scatter my ashes in nature some where, have a blow out party with any $ I may leave behind. :woohoo:

Live in peace and harmony. :cheer:

More
9 years 6 months ago #163428 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Jedi Funerals
It's always about death in October, I find, lol.

So ToTJO brought up funerals, Gabe and I are talking about how to fix the current Jedi Funerary I wrote a few years ago (even adding a meditative practice to aide in the mourning process! XD!), and then my mind wandered to those subjects in a thread going on in the closed FA Light halls- when something occurred to me based on my SAR training back in Kentucky...

BURIAL.

For a long time, I said that burial should be something that you can do anything with, but it occurs to me that there may be one option of burial that isn't Jedi. People can bury themselves upside down, or in a locked container or just be buried in dirt, etc. But all things considered, locking your body away in an air tight vault, or even mummification (http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/videos/modern-day-mummification.htm) (unless it's dedicated to science) is probably outside of the realm of what a religious Jedi (Jediist) would want when you consider the last line of the code after death.

"There is no death, there is the Force"

After death, this suggests that we return to "the Force". But what exactly does that mean for the body itself? If we were to look at that from a new prospective- that our bodies should be available to be recycled into the world, through mummification or locking away in an airtight vault- there body doesn't actually get used effectively for YEARS (depending on just how well that vault can withstand the elements, might be centuries- or perhaps never at all).

Thoughts?

Also, as it concerns cremation- that would simply be another way of transforming from one state to another. You're matter is never actually destroyed according to the law of conservation of mass and energy, simply transformed. So it can still be put to use by the universe on some level.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163430 by
"So it can still be put to use by the universe on some level"...... simple.... put me to use... ashes to ashes
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163431 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnISAAZa3Ys

More
9 years 6 months ago #163433 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Jedi Funerals
Thank you, Khaos, for posting the video. That is, more or less, what I was thinking.

It only looks bad because you are imagining it happening to you while you are still alive. :pinch:

That would be awful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163434 by
Well, I hadnt considered that, but yes, yes, that would be awful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #163436 by
I can't see the video at work... is it the sky funeral where you are eaten by vultures nd the poop you all over the land? i saw pictures of that once and it stiil gives me the creeps. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163438 by
Hey, you said you wanted to be put to use.

Dont know why it would be "creepier" than anything else.

The deceased is beyond caring in any respect.

In either case, you not only become a part of the vultures, and there offspring, etc, but part of the earth as fertilizer as well.

Becoming part of the land, the grass, etc,etc.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #163439 by
Some people already think I'm part vulture. :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi