What's the difference between hunting and buying meat?

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178304 by OB1Shinobi
Turtle dragons live wherever they want

EDIT

really cool note is that according to wikipedia
"map makers sometimes drew turtle dragons along with other fantastical creatures in unexplored areas"

that is a real treasure
thank you

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178357 by

ghost dog wrote: honestly, i'm not sure what to think of franken meat grown in a lab. i heard how KFC changed from Kentucky Fried Chicken for that reason. Chicken isn't grown in a lab.

Well, KFC's sources of Chicken meat might be a veritable hellhole of torture and chemical injections, but they're more like a factory than a lab.

Actually, in-vitro meat would be grown in a controlled environment, without the need for hormones or antibiotics, or genetic modification, and completely devoid of animal suffering. The meat would be totally organic... assuming you can stretch your imagination to consider a ball of cells grown in a petri dish "meat", lol. Really, it's the nature of how the thing is grown that puts people off, not the actual substance of the meat.

This page has a pretty good overview of in-vitro meat, if you're interested in a little read. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178361 by
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

http://www.salon.com/2011/06/23/japan_feces_meat_viral/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178387 by

ghost dog wrote: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/japanese-scientists-creates-meat-out-of-feces/

http://www.salon.com/2011/06/23/japan_feces_meat_viral/

From what they're saying, it sounds like they're basically making meat from bacteria proteins. I guess that's sensible enough, too, since the total number of bacteria between Earth's atmosphere and the deepest levels of the crust where life is thought to be possible are estimated to number somewhere around 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #178407 by OB1Shinobi
My thought is that stem cell meat is a great alternative to any consumption of gmo corn or anything that has been fed gmo corn or hormones or irradiation or any round up ready crop or any chicken with no beak or of any product that puts any money into the pockets of these sith lords of the likes of monsanto

this is not the thread for that debate but monsanto for one is fully aware of the harm it cauzes and completely unconcerned
which makes them the embodiment of literal evil
period
evil
period

however
stem cell meat is still imo an attempt at treating symptoms and not creating cures

we are natural organisms
we are the children of Gaia
we are intelligent mammals
animals
socially domesticated
but ultimately wild creatures
natural creatures if you prefer
we are not meant to feed on science projects
we are not meant to have so high a degree of seperation from the natural.world
our only real problem as a culture today is that we insist on being better than everything else
because we think we're better we make justifications for poisoning our natural foodsources so we can grow happy meals in a test tube
seriously thats effin crazy
we are a crazy species
we have a crazy streak that is utterly frightening

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 3 months ago #178410 by Adder
While I cannot be certain, I'm more of a child of the Universe then a child of the Earth. I see Earth more as my birthing ground then an integral required part of my ongoing existence. It will always be a part of my soul, but I don't feel afraid to leave it. So as a self confessed 'space cadet' LOL, my ideal would be lab grown muscle steaks for sure, perhaps not human though
:S

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178412 by OB1Shinobi
I can imagine a pill that provides all the nutrients the body needs
just add water (like to swallow the pill)
space wheaties
-- --
but to respond to the important part imo

-thats exactly what i mean-
the desire to see ourselves as above the natural homogeny of the earth
and i want to express that i agree with you
in that we are descendants of the universe

theres a song i used to like and my favorite line/s was/were
"we are star dust
we are golden
we are a billion year old carbon
and we've got to get ourselves
back into the garden"

the earth itself is a child lf the universe
so how can we be different?
i mean yes, absolutely i do agree
i also enjoy the desiderata
where it says
"for you are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should"

- - - - -

but take earth out the equation and where does it leave us?
we would not exist
human
would very very very VERY likely not have happened
we are directly and intimately connected
we may "grow up" and leave home eventually
heck mom might even get tired of cleaning up our mess
and decide to kick us out (i think we MUST branch out to ensure human existence - not that i see that as cosmically necessary, im sure the universe would be OK without us. but my guess is if we dont inhabit at least four or five other planets then from a cosmogical perspective we will always be an endangered species)

anyway
if you trace our evolutionary line backwards
you reach EARTH before you reach SOLAR SYSTEM
just as MOM is reached before HOMO SAPIEN SAPIEN which is reached before HOMO SAPIEN before HOMO ERECTUS which sounds like a dirty joke and a good stopping point since i tend to write small novels with every post
thanks for reading!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178547 by Adder
Of course its true, but I wonder to what extent. We seemingly are evolved within this environment and who can say to what extent that association of suitability/survivability also extends to include 'integration'!! Consider that our immune systems program themselves partly by reacting to the foods we eat, as a method to assess and react to our environments to improve our survivability - it shows our bodies at least might need this planets flora to stay healthy more generally..... a good little movie that could be said to demonstrate this (by Ridley Scott) is 'Loom' where they have to use lab's to create food;

I'm not sure what rating this is but I don't think it has any violence or sex;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcvSTk8M5qY

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
9 years 3 months ago #178570 by rugadd
"meant for"?

Who decided we were "meant for" anything?

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178571 by

Adder wrote: So as a self confessed 'space cadet' LOL, my ideal would be lab grown muscle steaks for sure, perhaps not human though
:S

Actually, my mom, who's a raw vegan dietitian, told me that human meat would be the most ideal (since it's proteins are already pre-packaged in human form and would need only the minimal processing in digestive system to be ready for use), were it not for the harmful effects of cannibalism. However, a human can eat tissue that is of their own body without succumbing to those effects - a paradox, because taking flesh from our own body merely to eat it would be a detriment to our health for other, much more obvious reasons. However, if one were to send a stem cell to an in-vitro meat lab... :) You could have Adder-burgers that your body would digest more efficiently than any other possible type of protein-rich tissue available.

OB1Shinobi wrote:
we are not meant to have so high a degree of separation from the natural.world

True. Ever since human royalty, probably dating back to ancient Mesopotamia, began distancing itself from nature by having houses built from stone instead of mud, chairs to separate us from the ground, it's been humanity's great dream to distance itself from the natural world. Over the millennia we've succeeded in closing ourselves off in many ways, until now Nature is known to us as "the other".

Just taking a weekend into the forest, or at the top of a mountain, or on a beach, or in a cave, or in the desert, with no electronic connections to the bubble of human civilization, is enough to remind a person that our species co-evolved among millions of other species, long before we began to divorce ourselves from Nature.

But then, that's the thing about Nature. The cytoplasm in our cells is still, in essence, sea water. We are unmistakably products of nature on Earth. But if we remove ourselves from the rest of Nature, and go off to develop relationships with other species of flora and fauna on other planets (hopefully long after we've learned to be self-sufficient in our technology without the illusionary need to harm other species), would that be unnatural? Even if we remove humanity from nature, we could never remove nature from humanity.

I'm not arguing against your stance. :) And I understand exactly where you're coming from, and I have a deep appreciation for the spirit of interconnectedness with Gaia. But I can also see the potential for humans to become creatures of space, and I can appreciate that for totally different reasons. Both sides are beautiful to me.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi