What's the difference between hunting and buying meat?

More
10 years 1 month ago #141987 by Wescli Wardest
Farming in itself is not bad. If it weren’t for farming we would not have had the time or luxury of setting around and developing civilization or securing future food stores. The inherent downturn is greed. Wanting more then we need. Wasting all the excess and creating a surplus in the first place.

If we went back to a hunter gather society then most of our daily lives would be spent in search of food and constantly moving to where the food was.

And, in fact there are hunters that abuse their lifestyle as well. No one is perfect and everyone is capable of being infected with greed.

Now… I believe hunting is important. It is a skill we should all have and everyone should kill at least one meal in their life. On the other hand, birthing an animal, raising and then killing it for dinner has a far better ability of showing the individual the cost of life.

So what’s the difference? Buying meat, vegetables, or any other food from someone else you don’t have to get your hands dirty and you are deprived of the opportunity to really understand what it takes for us to live.

:)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141989 by Whyte Horse

Phortis Nespin wrote: Knowing that when the economy and government collapses, Some of us can still survive on what the Force has provided for us.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #141996 by Adder
My chemistry lecturer often went pig hunting with a compound bow... his advice was to take a pistol if you missed because they would come at you. Some of them are huge up nearer the equator. I actually ended up buying one of his bow's but only killed targets with it (but I sold it to buy a 2nd hand mixer)
:whistle:

Random dead pig picture;
Warning: Spoiler!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Brenna

More
10 years 1 month ago #142002 by Kohadre

Adder wrote: My chemistry lecturer often went pig hunting with a compound bow... his advice was to take a pistol if you missed because they would come at you. Some of them are huge up nearer the equator. I actually ended up buying one of his bow's but only killed targets with it
:whistle:

Random dead pig picture;

Warning: Spoiler!

Personally I would prefer to carry a large-bore rifle compared to a pistol, just because I'm a better shot with long arms than I am with pistols.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
10 years 1 month ago #142014 by Garwa Mayharr

Jestor wrote: Things are always as complicated, or easy, as we make them...

I like eating meat...

Not beef so.much, but, chicken, fish, and just about every other kind I've had...

I guess beef is OK, just prefer the others...

Jestor...I too feel the same way, A few months ago a friend gave a free range farm raised chicken. I have trouble now biting into store bought chicken. Especially after he told me about the tumor line they have at some of the plants that use lots of growth hormones. It's a line to cut the tumors off the chicken.

Anyhow try to get a farm raised chicken one time, it will blow you mind, and your tastes buds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 1 month ago #142061 by ren

So efficient in fact, that most of it rots before it gets distributed.

nonsense. besides, what about all the wild animals that die a natural death? Do they count as waste too? When a supermarket fails to sell a rotting tomato, it's waste, what about all the wild fruits that have the same fate? Do they count as waste too?

tzb wrote: Yes, I was thinking along similar lines.. care to elaborate Ren? I'm curious how you've reached that conclusion.

it was very easy. If I hunted down the local wildlife, I'd eat for about two weeks (provided I successfully store the meat), and about 200 people would starve. I don't remember ever seing a tree that produces edible fruit in the UK. If you think of the oceans, there's more of them than there is land, and marine life only forms a small part of our diet... yet the oceans are depleting. And in fact, we've polluted the planet so much now that natural fish (as in: fresh of the ocean) is actually toxic. Eating natural fish everyday is now dangerous.
So yes, farming isn't just better, it's a necessity.

Farming was developed as a mean of guaranteeing food supply by people who were very skilled at hunting/gathering, yet found it insufficient. Even though high-wheat diets are not as nutritionally good for humans as hunting/gathering, it was still overall better than hunting/gathering, and that's why it's been in use ever since. That's when we weren't 10 million on the planet, there's 7 billion of us to feed now.

There is no purpose in hunting nowadays except for "sport". Want survivalist skills? Hormone-free food? get yourself some chickens and grow some corn in your garden. They worked it out 12000 years ago, I'm sure you can too.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #142069 by
Food waste. I don't just make this stuff up.

http://www.nrdc.org/food/files/wasted-food-ip.pdf

It outlines the inefficiencies in the food supply system. Read it. Or not. You already have your opinion made.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #142071 by
For a solution, there is often a problem. In the Southern Coasts of the US, our fertilizer runoff is creating dead-zones in the gulf. The reasons are complicated, but they usually centralize around profit.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 1 month ago #142074 by Brenna
I personally think the difference is quite simple.

Everyone can get to a supermarket and buy meat, not everyone is able or willing to actually kill their own food.

Sport hunting without actually using the meat afterwards is like driving to a supermarket, buying food, throwing it all away and keeping the packaging to prove that you bought it.

The amount of food waste in the world is horrific and we should be ashamed. Hundreds of tons of edible food is thrown away each year. If more people understood what really goes into the production of their food, or were forced to farm/hunt for their own survival, i think that would change fast!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #142075 by
Word, Brenna.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi