What's the difference between hunting and buying meat?

More
10 years 1 month ago #141923 by SilverWolf
Personally, I have NEVER been hunting either with a gun or a bow, not that I don't like hunting...but I was born with mild epilepsy and cerebral palsy in my left side and I cannot effectively turn my wrist on my left hand far enough or well enough to properly hold a rifle or shotgun. I would love to go bow hunting, but compound bows are differcult because even though I can hold one in my left hand keeping it steady is a challenge. I do want to get a crossbow but trying to properly cock it to fire it one handed is tough. Other than that, I do not have any issues with hunting or fishing other than to say only kill what you NEED and be respectful of what you kill and thank the animal for it's sacrifice for you. As far as the comment hunting is for jerks, I say this: There are people that qualify to be placed under the heading of jerks everywhere: A person cuts us off in the car, a jerk, a guy that looks at a woman like the only thing she is put on this earth is to serve him, a jerk, certain people in our favorite MMO like SWTOR or SWGEMU or WOW, or LOTRO that steal our kills or just act immature, jerks. You can find "Jerks" everywhere, not just hunting. The difference is how you react to those people who act like "jerks" you can fuel their hate and respond to them, or you can tell yourself that you will rise above how they act and will strive to act better than that towards people. I know a few guys that hunt that aren't jerks. It's not the sport of hunting that makes a jerk, it is the personal choice of the indivual person to be a jerk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141928 by
Steamboat, Since you are local, i would like to inform you that a few of us will be going spear hunting for boar in the future. Your welcome to come. Something to think about anyways.

Attachment h1f6b031.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141930 by
I love hunting with an outstanding passion. This being said, I have never hunted before lol. It has always been something I wanted to do. I never had the chance because of my estranged fathers utter fear of firearms, the irony being he used to be a Marine who, during a live fire training session, he went insane. So no father son bonding over a fresh kill like the good old days. But I've always had a fascination with firearms, hunting, camping and overall bushcraft. I've actually been taking my cousin (more like my little sister) to the woods and showing her the things I've learned on my own in the wilderness. I've never felt that there was a better way to be with someone you love, whether it be family, friends or significant other then when sitting around a campfire and sharing the love with nature. If more people would take their kids out for hunting, fishing, etc. , we would live in a more meaningful world where people are people and everything is more simple. Its a hard life, we need to pull together and see each other as part of a community of understanding. You could live a completely different life from someone in like Afghanistan, but go on a hunt with someone like that, even if you don't speak to each other, you both will come out with a better respect for each other. We all came from the same stuff, we're all looking for the same answers even if we ask the question differently, and we will all end up at the same place eventually. I don't know of its heaven, hell, a ball of conscious energy or nothing at all, but I will see all you there with open arms and welcome you into my mind body and soul no matter who you are. I love you all. I haven't posted in a while so sorry if this is too much and wayyyy off topic lmao. But I couldn't stop typing.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141944 by Whyte Horse
Hunting is cheaper than buying. It used to be free and legal until the king declared ownership over all the animals and made everyone pay a tithing to get a license.

If you eat meat, an animal dies either way. If you do it yourself you can control the circumstances of the death and free someone else from the task. It's morally superior to hunt rather than buy.

In this day and age, meat isn't necessary and is actually bad for your health. I've cut way back on my meat consumption and am extremely cautious about where it comes from because of this. I keep trying to find foods to replace meat in my diet. Nuts and Tempeh are helpful. You can probably cut your meat eating by 50% just by eating nuts and beans and tempeh regularly. I just heard of a study that eating nuts all the time is really good for you.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 1 month ago #141956 by Reacher

Andy Spalding wrote: Steamboat, Since you are local, i would like to inform you that a few of us will be going spear hunting for boar in the future. Your welcome to come. Something to think about anyways.

Attachment h1f6b031.jpg not found

Did someone bring up spear hunting?

I usually take one large boar a year with either a knife or spear. It lasts through most of the year.

There are many things about the hunt which appeal to me - particularly hunting with bladed weapons. Firstly, the boar is similarly armed. Granted, it has no dogs for tracking and catching, but when it comes time to thrust the hunter is in very real peril. Razorbacks have inches of cartilage across their shoulders and backs that can stop bullets. Additionally, their tusks are nearly razor-sharp. Their molars act as whet stones each time they chomp down. Catch dogs do their best to hold, but a 200-350 pound boar will toss them in a hurry. One friend took too long and came away with 94 stitches for his hesitation. It's food with consequences - it requires teamwork, skill, and caution.

Hunting is a very serious thing - one which helps me appreciate the value of the creature I hunt. A deli price does the boar no justice. I like the Native peoples' take on hunting - that every animal had an overarching spirit. When a hunter demonstrated his worthiness to that spirit, it gave him the kill. But perhaps that is my Cherokee heritage and Oklahoma upbringing coming to the surface.

I do understand that buying meat is necessary, though. Without the farming and livestock practices we have today, I'd imagine quite a few species would have been hunted to extinction.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141963 by
What's the difference?

Knowing that when the economy and government collapses, Some of us can still survive on what the Force has provided for us. While those of you who wish to believe that animals were only left here to provide zoo attractions scrape the grocery store shelves and kill other humans for scraps, those of us who chose to understand our place in the physical world, will be doing just fine. Unless you try to steal or kill us. :evil:

Although I am a hunter and do enjoy the sport, I am, as many of us are, conservationists. The hunters of the world understand animal management more than those "Tree Hugging Liberals" that think tigers live in the Hundred Acre Woods with Pooh Bear. The deer population in Michigan is being decimated by the overpopulation of wolves some tree huggers thought would be nice to have and listen to on that warm and fuzzy cool night while they sit around a camp fire singing Come by ya.

This apex predator is at the top of the food chain in the wild and procreates at an alarming rate. I hunts in packs and takes everything it can sink its teeth into, including your family dog. In can run on top of the snow while deer sink. There are a lot of things we hunters understand because we walk among them. How many of you non hunters can say you were within 10 feet of a full grown 200 lbs wolf in the middle of the Ottawa National Forest with no one there but you and it? Have you ever had a coyote sit next to you at midnight in the light of a full moon...and just look at you with that "Are you Stupid" look on his face?

This hunting thing is not just about sport or meat for the freezer, it's about that connection to the REAL WORLD that
you city dwellers and non believers will never experience. Hunt deer, if it were just for meat there would be more farm raised deer and on the grocery store shelves.

I love these threads, so much arrogance by you non hunters.

More
10 years 1 month ago #141967 by Kohadre

Phortis Nespin wrote: What's the difference?

Knowing that when the economy and government collapses, Some of us can still survive on what the Force has provided for us. While those of you who wish to believe that animals were only left here to provide zoo attractions scrape the grocery store shelves and kill other humans for scraps, those of us who chose to understand our place in the physical world, will be doing just fine. Unless you try to steal or kill us. :evil:

Although I am a hunter and do enjoy the sport, I am, as many of us are, conservationists. The hunters of the world understand animal management more than those "Tree Hugging Liberals" that think tigers live in the Hundred Acre Woods with Pooh Bear. The deer population in Michigan is being decimated by the overpopulation of wolves some tree huggers thought would be nice to have and listen to on that warm and fuzzy cool night while they sit around a camp fire singing Come by ya.

This apex predator is at the top of the food chain in the wild and procreates at an alarming rate. I hunts in packs and takes everything it can sink its teeth into, including your family dog. In can run on top of the snow while deer sink. There are a lot of things we hunters understand because we walk among them. How many of you non hunters can say you were within 10 feet of a full grown 200 lbs wolf in the middle of the Ottawa National Forest with no one there but you and it? Have you ever had a coyote sit next to you at midnight in the light of a full moon...and just look at you with that "Are you Stupid" look on his face?

This hunting thing is not just about sport or meat for the freezer, it's about that connection to the REAL WORLD that
you city dwellers and non believers will never experience. Hunt deer, if it were just for meat there would be more farm raised deer and on the grocery store shelves.

I love these threads, so much arrogance by you non hunters.

I am not sure if this is in response to my post, or the post of someone else, however many in the thread seem to be in support of hunting.

So long and thanks for all the fish

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 1 month ago #141971 by ren
there's hunting and buying from a hunter. Then there's farming and buying from a farmer. farming is far more efficient at supplying food and not completely ruining the planet. If we were all hunters we'd be hunting one another or be extinct now.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141973 by

farming is far more efficient at supplying food and not completely ruining the planet.

So efficient in fact, that most of it rots before it gets distributed.

Pretty sure hunters are not "completely ruining the planet" quite like the GMO's and deforestation are.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 month ago #141979 by
Yes, I was thinking along similar lines.. care to elaborate Ren? I'm curious how you've reached that conclusion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi