Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

More
9 years 8 months ago #154119 by Breeze el Tierno
That would be a shame, Khaos. Also a little drama-queeny. You're tough, you can take it. :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154120 by Breeze el Tierno
Seriously, though. You provide some of what little accountability is available online. That has tremendous value.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154121 by
Replied by on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

Khaos wrote: I have seen ToTJo members be much more sarcastic with each other than I have with them, and it seems that the subject matter presented is what is the issue.

Its also not as if i am completely new here myself. No how I go about things. I have been here for awhile.

Rapport? If you know someone is your friend you can be ruder to them with a shared understanding that you actually value them and their opinions... perhaps these people communicate privately and have established their own ground rules. And the same works the other way, if you build a reputation as a sarcastic or negative person people won't read the blank words on the screen as friendly or conversational but antagonistic. These are simple facts of human communication which are lost in the purely logical analysis of what happens, which sadly seems rather apt given the conversation we're having here.

Thank you for replying to this thread and engaging with the opinions put forward to that extent. However it seems a real shame that rather than budge an inch you would leave the forum. All it would take for you to be very welcome and valuable here is a motion towards the exact sorts of things Cabur Senaar mentions: communicating in ways which don't alienate those you're speaking with, and picking your battles. I respect your choice not to do so, but there's plenty I'll miss about your often interesting posts.

As it happens I'm not just talking about you and Gisteron, I can think of at least 5 people my points related to. Perhaps you'll note I said not all fall into petty insults, I was actually thinking about you specifically when I said that (at least in my experience of you). Because you're the only one who responded to this thread, you've become the focus and that's a pity. It was not my intention to give you an example of how unwelcome people feel when the only respondents seem unreasonably stacked against them. As Cabur said... I believed you could take it.

May the Force be with you.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #154136 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

I don't enjoy constant petty semantic debate, or to be made to feel like an idiot for having a new or unformed idea

See, whenever I come up with the crazy stuff i regularly come up with, whenever people are acting touchy-feely or go into that "oh ren is being gross again" mode I just shove it in their face even more.
I discussed this with arcade before actually. He's the kind of person who likes to adapt his speech to his audience, to uh, protect their feelings and such... Not realizing that to me, it's probably one of the most offensive things he could ever do.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154140 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
Ain't that calling the kettle black....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #154143 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
To me it's a form of manipulation. A good example of people telling others what is sweet to their ears are politicians. In a friendlier (non-political) environment, it's still a form of distrust and disrespect. For example if Arcade tells me "sweet" things instead of what he really thinks, what he does is either:
-Hide his true opinion from me on purpose (which is alarming, especially for the kind of stuff we discuss at totjo. These aren't negotiations with world peace at stake)
-Believe that I am in some way not capable of understanding what he truly means to say.
-Rob me of an opportunity to give some thoughts to his ideas and react to them (positively or negatively).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154145 by
Replied by on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
I won't speak for Arcade (nor do I think this applies) but perhaps a person who speaks in that way hasn't got the confidence to bluntly assert what they really think? Or perhaps they have different priorities, valuing a good relationship over blunt direct conversations? Perhaps they don't think in the same way you do and rather than consciously shielding their opinion they're expressing themselves honestly for them, even if that's different from how you'd prefer it done?

You talk of being "robbed"; perhaps the way other people are isn't all about you? What makes you think you have a right to any more of someone's opinion than what they choose to give you?
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

More
9 years 8 months ago #154154 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
A arrogant assumption Ren...
I do not know what to think about that... Self centered?
To believe that you know more about someone than themselves.... Your reasoning is their reasoning? Project much? Maybe perhaps the feeling you have about manipulation is for you, about you?...
SMH...
Contemplate more on this I shall, I do not mean to offend.
Truly.
Appears like maybe this is just a form of antagonistic behavior to pull on emotions....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154157 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

ren wrote: To me it's a form of manipulation. A good example of people telling others what is sweet to their ears are politicians.

I cant agree with this. Obviously it does happen. People do manipulate others. But more often than not moderating or "sweetning" the way in which you say things is designed to avoid unnecessary conflict or prevent future issues. Because, hey, we do have egos.

Good example is Gisteron coming into chat after one of these threads started. I told him that while I agreed with some of what he had said, i felt he'd been harsh in his delivery. You and I have had that same conversation on more than one occasion. OR I could also have told him that I think he was just being a right #$%% and being mean to my friends. (I believe we've had that conversation too :P ) but what would that have achieved? A spat in chat? Futher animosity in the forums? Most likely. And the general outcome of that sort of thing is closed ears to whatever that person has to say in the future.

I don't believe that its dishonest or manipulative to avoid shutting down future conversations. Or having a care for the feelings of others. Or remembering that while my opinion may be valid and "true" its still just my perception, and hurting others with it doesn't seem fair.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154158 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
Why be offended at what ren thinks? Or khaos, or gisteron, or anyone else?

Even if any one of them call you out directly, why are we offended?

What does it matter that ren does not agree with how YOU (any of you) conduct yourself socially? Is he your father?

Is Khaos or Gisteron your uni professor?

This is in no defense for anybody about anything. This is an observation on reality here and now.

When you read something by any of them that makes you huff and puff, before you post something, think about why you huffed and puffed, and whether it really matters. Does it? No really, does it really matter? Are those people significant cornerstones of your life? Does their view of things, their opinions, have any kind of actual significant pull on your life? Are they verified authorities on your personal beliefs and behaviors?

"Well no, but...."

Ahem... Let's not complicate it. Read the question again if you have to. It's simple.

Trust me. It is. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Brenna, Llama Su,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi