Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153985 by
Please let me start by saying I am writing this with a clear head and there is no hostility behind it or veiled anger in my words, nor am I pointing fingers. This is a request aimed at the general community and it represents my feelings. It is not intended to represent the thoughts or feelings of others.

I had a miserable day at TotJO yesterday. A ball of negativity engulfed the entire Temple, and it affected me and many other members of the church in unfortunate ways. I wasted 10 hours of my life engaging in conversations that led nowhere and arguments, debates, and disagreements that were of little importance or significance. To a certain extent, I agree with those who say that there is some value or a lesson in all of these encounters. However, I feel strongly that this was not the case yesterday (and on various past occasions).

In my mind, most of us in the community are consciously going through a metamorphosis. The majority of Jedi here are pupae in their individual chrysalises, some have already become butterflies, but others are three inch caterpillars smoking hookahs who are constantly blowing smoke on others.

If you are someone who is not interested in learning, growing personally and spiritually, listening (to alternative perspectives), or engaging in conversations (rather than debates) with a degree of respect for others' thoughts and feelings and an appreciation for the inherent worth and sincerity of other people in this community, I ask, respectfully, that you reconsider before choosing to interact with me on the forum or elsewhere.

I have always worked hard to understand others and mend misunderstandings, and will continue to do so, but I now know where my line is and reserve the right to ignore you or simply say "no more."

Please feel free to discuss this further, though I will not respond in this thread (you are, of course, welcome to PM me).
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153987 by
Replied by on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
Great post, Cade. Thank you for articulating so beautifully what a number of us have been feeling lately.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153989 by

I wasted 10 hours of my life engaging in conversations that led nowhere and arguments, debates, and disagreements that were of little importance or significance.

I would cut back on time spent online for one.

I also dont know why you would choose to engage in subjects you dont find important.

For 10 hours no less.

I think that would give anyone a crappy day.

Still we cant all discuss topics you like, or as you would like.

In my mind, most of us in the community are consciously going through a metamorphosis. The majority of Jedi here are pupae in their individual chrysalises, some have already become butterflies, but others are three inch caterpillars smoking hookahs who are constantly blowing smoke on others.

Not so.

It is simply that not metamorphosis happen the same way, in the same amount of time, etc.

My metamorphosis is not happening in a void, or individually, but out in the open, in front of you, and everyone else.

f you are someone who is not interested in learning, growing personally and spiritually, listening (to alternative perspectives), or engaging in conversations (rather than debates) with a degree of respect for others' thoughts and feelings and an appreciation for the inherent worth and sincerity of other people in this community, I ask, respectfully, that you reconsider before choosing to interact with me on the forum or elsewhere.

As I recall, you chose to interact with others. If you dont like what others say, is not the same advice applicable to yourself?

You dont have to debate with anyone.

Debates in themselves are not disrespectful, and are very much in the vein of wanting to learn and grow.

Those that are considered ones who debate seem to be the ones with alternative perspectives.

but I now know where my line is and reserve the right to ignore you or simply say "no more."

Noted, and hopefully you apply it.

I do wonder why every discussion that doesnt have clear common agreement, or has questions of a probing nature is considered a debate.

This may come off as crass, but people are a bit sensitive here.

No, I am not saying "man up" I am simply observing that people do not actually take it well when viewpoints do not line up.

Perhaps, more than anything it seems a clear indicator that my time here should end soon.

I am who I am, and it seems that grates here.

My condolences on your bad day.

More
9 years 8 months ago #153993 by Llama Su
Replied by Llama Su on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
I could say enlightening to say the least...

Contemplative state...

Took me back to the tenants...

I agree energy was wasted, and feel in mutual regard the negativity was prevalent..

Lead me to focus...

Focus on solutions as opposed to problems.
Focus on answers as opposed to questions.
Focus in hope, as opposed to doubt.
Focus on love as opposed to hate.
Focus on the positive as opposed to the negative

Another test I feel I passed, another lesson in energy work...
I have a better understanding as to where and how I want/need to express/impress the energy I provide/give and receive/take...

We can only do so much.

Depleting energy is not on my list.
Unless it is negative energy I deplete within myself...

So I choose wisely which debates/ arguments I engage myself in.
How I conduct myself...
Discern...
Invest in the right...

Maxims: #19, 20...

:whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154011 by
Personally I hope you don't end your time here Khaos. I enjoy reading your comments as your point of view seems very different to mine. You said the other day that you come here to learn and in my opinion you also teach. Yin yang anyone? I know we are all at different stages on our Jedi paths but the ego can really hinder learning. If people want to post their views without discussion then maybe it would be best to do this in their journal then others can simply thank them if they like it.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #154024 by Jestor

Psyddhattha wrote: Personally I hope you don't end your time here Khaos. I enjoy reading your comments as your point of view seems very different to mine. You said the other day that you come here to learn and in my opinion you also teach. Yin yang anyone? I know we are all at different stages on our Jedi paths but the ego can really hinder learning. If people want to post their views without discussion then maybe it would be best to do this in their journal then others can simply thank them if they like it.

I quite agree, I hope Khaos hangs around...:)

But, let me ask, what about the timid person who finally gets up the nerve to post his/her thoughts? And wants input from many people, which can't happen in a journal...

They most likely cannot stand pressure that the logical minded individual can apply...

Even an innocent question can do this...:)

So, how does someone not so, maybe not as strong (yet) as they need to be, engage the community, and make posts when they can't quite figure out the answers?

Do we let them remain lost?

Or, as seems to be our (totjo) style, try to help them figure it out, and maybe help ourselves along the way?

I'm strong, Khaos and Gisteron, are strong, plenty of us here... But that's not everyone...

Shoot, Khaos and Gisteron (not them alone, just our most recent people of topics, lol) often times speak, and I have trouble understanding everything they say because I didn't learn about all the stuff they did...

And, lol, they have trouble understanding me... lol.. Cause I learned different stuff then them....

But, my point was, not everyone is ready for "critical logic", lol....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Brenna, Llama Su, Edan,

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154025 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke
Gotta treat everyone with compassion, unless you know them, else we've no idea of the sort of pressures they might be under outside of the Temple. For some people they need support, for some different viewpoints, but for those that need confrontation to challenge themselves perhaps it would be best for it to be asked for specifically.

Just thinking out loud...

....if another topic that isn't confrontational but some users want to discuss the topic in a different way, perhaps a different thread stating as such, noting its not a personal attack on the OP from the original thread. I'm not sure if it's a great idea, but its a way it could work if we wanted to prefer a default mode of empathy/care.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Llama Su

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #154030 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

I wasted 10 hours of my life engaging in conversations that led nowhere and arguments, debates, and disagreements that were of little importance or significance. To a certain extent, I agree with those who say that there is some value or a lesson in all of these encounters. However, I feel strongly that this was not the case yesterday (and on various past occasions)

Welcome to Jediism, where you get to disagree about stuff of as little significance as communication styles and debate it for days, months, years or even decades now!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154031 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

ren wrote: Welcome to Jediism, where you get to disagree about stuff of as little significance as communication styles and debate it for days, months, years or even decades now!

You've been a bit dark and depressive about Jediism of late... but I would argue that understanding communication styles is essential. How else are you supposed to be objective about what people mean rather than what they say if you haven't bothered to understand the differences in how people approach things. I think its also an essential part of de-escalating potential conflict. Not to mention foster better and clearer communication in the future, meaning we can debate the "significant stuff" with fewer misunderstandings.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Llama Su, Edan

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 8 months ago #154038 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Caterpillars Blowing Smoke

You've been a bit dark and depressive about Jediism of late

That wasn't dark or depressive, that's something I actually like! :woohoo:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi