The Reiki Thread :-)

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189356 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Re:The Reiki Thread :-)

MJ Hannigan wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

TheDude wrote: I know absolutely nothing about reiki but I'm very interested.
I considered going to a class but they wanted a LOT of money for it and I just can't afford anything that costly right now.
Is reiki something that can be book-learned and practiced on one's own, for one's self? And if someone were to practice on their own, would they be able to provide help for others as well?

I am not sure about the whole "attunement" thing. It only begs the questions "Why?" and "Who attuned the first reiki master?", and if the first reiki master was not attuned by anyone then why can't everyone participate in that?

I suppose I am fundamentally confused as to what reiki is and how it is learned or done.

Back when Mark Anjuu was here, there was a reiki training thread for Temple members. Its been a long time since it was active, but I have expressed an interest in restarting that tradition after my knighthood. Its one of the things I would like to give back to the Temple.

More like their was/is a thread about how Reiki classes will be starting soon. Since 2005 there has never been a generial reiki lass here at totjo, even though there was much talk over it.

these posts all represent the idea behind this thread

i looked for an existing reiki thread and i saw the old one which basically said "coming soon!" and lots of people were interested but then it died

im not in the position to do much more than ask questions and give encouragement but i was hoping that would be enough - theres an interest for reiki here at the temple and that interest hasnt been addressed in a while so i thought it was appropriate to kick start the discussion

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189424 by
Replied by on topic The Reiki Thread :-)
I'm indifferent to Reiki (for myself only).

I know it benefits a lot of people that practice it, and I'm glad for them. Why stop doing what's helping you, right?

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189499 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic The Reiki Thread :-)
how do you YES YOU! use your breath?

does anyone have any particular advice or suggestions or techniques which they find especially helpful?

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189516 by
In through the nose, out through the mouth.

Breath low, not high.

More
9 years 1 week ago #189592 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Reiki Thread :-)

OB1Shinobi wrote: how do you YES YOU! use your breath?

does anyone have any particular advice or suggestions or techniques which they find especially helpful?

You!? lol.

Start low, end high. I tend to breath in through nose only when their is obvious particulate or its really cold, otherwise I get better flow in through the mouth and adequate filtration through the moisture in the mouth, and out through the nose to retain moisture. Switch them both around in different configs depending on circumstance. Is it releted to Reiki? Else this could be its own thread if you'd posted some suggestions of your own, or links etc
;)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189600 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic The Reiki Thread :-)

OB1Shinobi wrote: how do you YES YOU! use your breath?

Like filling a glass with water: slowly, bottom to top. Everything else aligns with this, and generally just improves the overall condition, regardless of our intent.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189622 by
I am not attempting to teach. This is not TOTJO specific......And all those silly Disclaimers that has to follow such posts. I am simply sharing some of my own material in regards to the question about Proper Breathing. This is actually a subject in Just Jedi's Initiate Curriculum, as it is one of the most important steps for Initiates to begin with (In my opinion) concerning meditation. I hope it can be of help :)

Importance of Proper Breathing

What is Breathing?

Ok so that’s kind of a no brainer question. Right? Riiiiight? Actually, because breathing is one of the single most natural instincts any living creature does, we really don’t take the time to stop and question this simple question. What is it? Why do we breath? And am I doing it correctly?
Proper vs. Improper Breathing

Breathing affects virtually every part of the body. It oxygenates the body, revitalizing organs, cells and tissues. Breathing properly:
Fuels energy production
Improves focus and concentration
Eliminates toxins
Strengthens the immune system
Improves bowel function
Reduces stress, tension and anxiety
Increases feelings of calmness and relaxation
Can lower blood pressure
Increases metabolism, aiding in digestion and weight loss.
On the other hand, not breathing correctly can cause problems for a number of systems in the body, including the immune, circulatory, endocrine and nervous systems. Improper breathing can produce a variety of symptoms including:
Mental fog
Dizziness
Numbness
Anxiety
Chest pain
Digestive problems
Irritable bowel
Neck and shoulder pain

Different methods of breathing

Surprisingly there is a great number of ways a human being can breathe. Some ways are better than others. As we go through this article you should try them.

There are two common forms of breathing. The right way which is called ‘Lower Breathing’ also known as Diaphragm Breathing and the wrong way which is known as ‘Upper Breathing’ or 'Chest Breathing'...Other methods have been developed but they are more advanced and not necessary for this style of practice. Wind Instrumentals for example require a kind of ‘Circular Breathing’ which allows the musician to play his wind instrumental with one, long, circular breath to keep the fluid flow of his melody.

The wrong way to Breath, also known as Upper Breathing - is when you breath from your chest. This actions happens when we breath inwards - our chest expands and lungs fill our shoulders also raise. Due to our chest cavety the extension of your breath is short and shallow and provides a minimum amount of air into your body and blood stream. For both a healthy body and clear mind you need plenty of oxygene

Lower Breathing or Diaphragm Breathing - "The diaphragm is a large muscle located between the chest and the abdomen. When it contracts it is forced downward causing the abdomen to expand. This causes a negative pressure within the chest forcing air into the lungs. The negative pressure also pulls blood into the chest improving the venous return to the heart. This leads to improved stamina in both disease and athletic activity. Like blood, the flow of lymph, which is rich in immune cells, is also improved. By expanding the lung's air pockets and improving the flow of blood and lymph, abdominal breathing also helps prevent infection of the lung and other tissues. But most of all it is an excellent tool to stimulate the relaxation response that results in less tension and an overall sense of well being." - amsa.org

To practice Lower Breathing at first we can start on our backs. Find a chair and raise your legs up onto the chair and make sure that you are able to get comfortable. This position helps you to target the key elements for this exersize. Eventually, you should be able to perform Lower Breathing throughout your normal every day activities as a natural method of breathing.

Once Comfortable. Place your hand on your stomach just under your rib cage. If you like, you can also place a hand on your chest as well.

Slowly draw in a deep breath of air using your diaphragm. If you are doing it right your stomach should expand and your hand rise up higher than the one on your chest. Once you have breathed in all you can -

Slowly exhal out through your mouth. You do not need to open up wide just part lips and let the air out.

Practice this daily for five minuets or however long you feel comfortable. Over time and with practice your timeframe will expand and eventually it will be something you can do throughout the day while washing dishes, driving your car, on your walks, or reading books or when you are practicing your meditations.

Please note key words here: The article above is Initiate level.

....................Later and through natural observation (Apprentice) the Breath will react much like Steamboat describes, though it's more of an alternate......Start with Lower, Naturally allow it to fill up your lungs (upper) and alternate between lower and upper until you can breath in no more. You get the most optimal amount of Oxygene intake. :)z

Also remember to exercise safty. The first few times can leave one feeling lightheaded because your body is not used to this method and amount of intake. Always drink water. And don't over due the practice until it becomes a natural expression :)

As stated above. This is just how I do it :) I simply posted in hopes it can be of help. If not, ignore this.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by .

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189624 by OB1Shinobi
EDIT
Thanks for the article Kit - im guessing that answers what im asking in this post!

Adder wrote: Start low, end high. I tend to breath in through nose only when their is obvious particulate or its really cold, otherwise I get better flow in through the mouth and adequate filtration through the moisture in the mouth, and out through the nose to retain moisture. Switch them both around in different configs depending on circumstance.

Is it releted to Reiki?

the original intent of the question was specifically during a reiki treatment but since its been asked i guess any good suggestions on breathwork are beneficial in general

also id like to be clear with the responses so far -
when people say "start low" are you meaning "belly breathin/use your diaphram" low or "draw from the center of the earth low"?

that may seem like a silly question

i have had great resluts from using the feeling that my feet and legs draw in from the earth with every inhalation
similar to how a plant might draw water into itself from the ground

and generally, i feellike i project outwards better either when i hold my breath or on exhalation

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #189626 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: when people say "start low" are you meaning "belly breathin/use your diaphram" low or "draw from the center of the earth low"?

that may seem like a silly question

i have had great resluts from using the feeling that my feet and legs draw in from the earth with every inhalation
similar to how a plant might draw water into itself from the ground

and generally, i feellike i project outwards better either when i hold my breath or on exhalation

Depends on your intent. IMO.

And I never approve/like holding breath unless necessary. (under water)

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #189627 by OB1Shinobi
its more like an extended pause after inhalation

the idea isnt to get "stuck" somewhere but it feels like a moment to collect and let everything settle before moving it forward
unless i AM underwater!

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi