More
11 years 2 months ago #91445 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Physical Temples

V-Tog wrote: V-Tog's awesome house of awesomeness' it would let me... :silly:

Sounds like an awesome place to visit....do you offer tours? :laugh:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #91446 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Physical Temples
Hahaha it's actually not awesome at all, I can't wait to move out...

I actually could now, but if I resist the temptation and leave it a few months longer I can save up some more money, which I guess is a good idea.

Once I move somewhere else which is less:

a) cluttered
b) cold
c) falling down

You're all welcome to visit :P

If you want come visit from the States RyuJin, I'll be more than happy to give you a tour... ;)

B.Div | OCP

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91447 by RyuJin
:laugh: a home with "rustic flair" then huh....nothing a hammer and some nails can't fix....cold, some blankets work well for that...or.....cluttered, I hold annual garbage days to get rid of any/all rubbish that accumulated throughout the year

Back on topic, shipping containers are being used for apartments, condos, in law homes and a slew of other housing uses...most containers can be bought for cheap too since shipping yards get rid of their old ones regularly

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91449 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Temples
if put alot of thought into this in the past and present ive recently came acroos a cheap and effective soultion to there not being a temple last summer some kids burnt down a trailer that has been in my family for years in retrospect it actualy helpped me to bring about my idea the total cost of this temple excludeing my man hours put into buliding it it would cost only 60 grand and cold house at first 20 to 30 people it would be a comunial liveing as in the tents would have to work off site and throw in on bills and the property tax also buliding permits and such but it would be a greate thing to begin somethiong big basicaly it would b e a huge log cabin with two restrooms abnd a loft sperated into two one for males one for females a thrid story room wich would be mine of course just because i dont like sleeping in a room with thirty peole it reminds me of jail lol would also be a bissness room agian this is under 60 grand its right near the water and is sorrounded by woods on three sides so privacy is our concren we have it i work many jobs but with a family my size 60grand is alot to handle on my budget

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #91456 by
I think that is one important topic concerning any Jedi temple (otherwise said "a temple for Jedi and the like). What will people do for "jobs" when relocating to the area or visiting?

I would assume that those who chose to come visit would deal with their own expenses before they come. Those that would come and stay for longer might not just be able to cut all expenses for an indefinite amount of time. When I was out at Odiyan retreat center and the Nyingma Institute in Berkley, Ca they paid me $50 a month as a volunteer. However, my shared room / communal showers and meals were all provided. Needless to say, if I wanted to have a cell phone (this was back before the iPhone) I wouldn't really be able to afford it on that income.

The remote monastery idea is more or less a developed campsite with just the means to survive. More than likely it would be constructed to withstand periods of no one being there. Just basic structures and resources like water and soil plots for food. Some food crops could be created to more or less grow wild so it doesn't need constant tending but should people arrive, they would have SOMETHING to eat. A stocked pond wouldn't be a bad idea either.

With the retreat center idea, employees and pay would need to be controlled based off of income from retreat attendance. The income would also need to pay for any utilities the center uses, such as natural gas or propane for the kitchen and/or heating the place. If we did connect to the power grid (which I'm not advocating we do except specifically for this reason) and we created more energy we could use like from several wind turbines, we could make money by selling the power we pump back into the grid when where're not using it. I do think there should be internet out there though.

The micro temple is much easier to develop funding with. Having a coffee shop, sandwich/salad shop, whole foods market, and/or things like them, are all basic businesses that people who live and train there can have jobs for their own uses. Not to mention, that rent can be charged if there aren't enough Jedi or other Trainees to fill the rooms and instead they need to be rented out to local college students or something. This is also in an urban(ish) setting where non temple jobs could be found.

Honestly I would like to see each one of these types of temples happen. Which ever one comes first, I don't care. Alot of the same things need to be adressed for all of them.

So, who knows about legal stuff? Like liability issues for individuals and/or groups. Specifically this group. Would it be better to have this church own and operate a retreat center or training center type business, or an individual(s)? And what if it is built as if it were our physical church? How would liability issues work if we were doing physical/martial training at our 'church'? Would things be just like how fitness clubs do them now, like the YMCA? Aren't they a non-profit? (You know, I've heard that the CEO of the YMCA receives one of the largest salaries of CEOs... hmmm)

Next, what does any one know concerning building permits and codes? People are building all sorts of buildings with things like shipping containers and rammed earth. What are they doing to cross all their T's and dot their I's? Do things change for them if they want to run a business inside them?

And what about having dormitories for people to stay at? Are there special requirements for "rentable rooms"?

Lastly for now, what stipulations go along with a non-profit church/organization wanting to run a store (coffee, food, or grocery)? What about if they want to sell a consumer product(s). For example, some monasteries make and sell things like beer, wine and soap from what I hear.

Hopefully someone knows these answers or knows where to find them.

Peace,
Matt

P.s. I honestly never used to make huge posts like this. I'm sorry :(
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91460 by
It's nice to see that this subject brings out such deep thoughts and considerations from people .... It shows the dedication Jedi have for their religion.

Too bad Wm. M. Keck isn't [wasn't?] a Jedi supporter.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91466 by
well seeing as i have 12 years in the construction industry i know everything there is to know about permits ad such i also grew up in the industry. as for legal matters if its classifed as a a barn not a monstatic or church then there is no problem. as for the jobs i hope that people would take inatitve and support them selfs the porperty tax is no more than 200 every four months as i am the jedi in the area and have kids to suport i couldnt take care of everybodys food this would be just the begining of course as our comuntiy is rather small with a smaller number of serious members it would be foolish of me to try and bulid by myself at this point as for training on the grounds you would be more than welcome to but its at your own risk yes people could come for a retreat if they wanted to but im looking long trem there would be a monthly rent depending on how many people come and what they contribute to the temple as a whole this right now is just a idea but id like it to come to being

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago #91469 by RyuJin
Around where I am there's a couple of communities that I looked at in the past as being perfect settings for a jedi community...they had homes, a community center, pool, etc...all the buildings needed already existed...but ultimately it comes down to money and population....

Likewise I have many years worth of experience in construction...and academically I'm qualified to design...I had to learn all the business,legal,and production aspects...I spend most of my free time simply drawing up prints and various other designs...

Quotes:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #91477 by
well as ive said before i allready have a plan under way funding is my main problem basically where im at with permits and stuff wont be a problem seeing asa how im the deffintife concotractor in the area and have knowen everybody snice i was young i could bulid a milltary base and it wouldnt be looked at as more than a barn lol with thye materails id be useing thats only about 30 grand and as for the ohter 30 thats for equipment rentals and hireing help because i dont do roofs lol just hights

More
11 years 2 months ago #91511 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Physical Temples
I wonder what a religion like Christianity would have been like if people didn't feel adamant on needing to build a church for it...

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi