[Chorus]

And if I bleed, I'll bleed,
Knowing you don't care.
And if I sleep just to dream of you
I'll wake without you there,
Isn't something missing?
Isn't something...

[Chorus]

I am looking for some interpretation ideas to Amy Lee's, Missing off her Anywhere but Home album.
I have yet to read one I find that seems to really click with this song.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #51351 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Missing (interpretations)
Its seems very emotional, and trying to work it out made my wires frizzle this morning - it could be many things couldnt it?

That's the trick with emotions, perhaps they are only in part associated with logical structure and since everyone has emotions then maybe they can operate as a language in their own right - communicating to peoples feelings more then just specific meaning alone. I'd imagine there might be lots of valid intepretations therefore, and thus why your asking of course, and as you state to find an intepretation which really clicks with you personally.

Its why I personally like electronic music, more structure less ambiguity :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51353 by
Replied by on topic Re: Missing (interpretations)
As I listen to this one I can't help but hear the pain of not being chosen. Not that someone else was deemed better but that other pursuits were more important than the person who writes these words.
Whether work, art, or escapism, the person this song was for probably loved her, maybe even very much but was so caught up in what they were doing that they barely noticed her.

Its a sensation both sincere and mutual. Like the spouse that shows their love by working their hardest for the family to the point that the one left at home feels like they aren't a part of their life anymore, both the one feeling neglected and the one over-distracted are so caught up they can't just talk to each other long enough to break the isolation from each other.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51383 by
As I read the words I immediately though of a runaway child who has a drunk parent that doesn't really know whats going on in their life.

Seems very sad and emotional.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51386 by
I think that the beauty of song lyrics, like poetry, are that they can mean something different and totally personal to each of us.

Perfect Day by Lou Reed and Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel are generally interpreted as songs about being in love but they have also been interpreted as being about heroin addiction.

I am sure that most people will interpret this to be about a child or lover who has been forced to leave because of rejection or some sort of drug addiction.

I mean no disrespect but I am going to interpret the words to be of my over-emotional, over-dramatic ego as I refuse to acknowledge it's existence any longer!

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51452 by

Psyddhattha wrote: I think that the beauty of song lyrics, like poetry, are that they can mean something different and totally personal to each of us.

This is quite true. Even more true is that the only one who can tell you what it meant to the the artist that wrote it, is the artist that wrote it. When it comes down to it, does any other interpretation really matter? Because our perceptions are all different, it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

I prefer not to try to analyze art, in any form. I just enjoy it, and appreciate it for what it is. In my opinion, no one has the right to analyze the art but the artist. That is just my opinion, though.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi