The Dormant Members

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51245 by
The Dormant Members was created by
I consider myself to be a positive person who tries to find the positive in all situations, so I hope I don't sound doom and gloom.

I have noticed that many members on this site have gone dormant, and not by days or months, but by years. Many years have gone by where many Jedi Masters/ Knights have not posted messages. If the Jedi life has been chosen by these members, why is it they have disappeared, not even to share their journey or where they have been? (Some have gone on leave and they are not the one's I am speaking of) There are clergy who have been dormant as well and those who have not contributed. (hat's off to Mark Anjuu for his sermons and continued sharing)

We are called to the Jedi way, is it not the Jedi way to continue fellowship with those who share the same journey? Is it not fair to say that as a Master or Jedi Knight you keep in touch with your family.

I'm assuming we are more than a discussion forum.

(This is NOT aimed at those who are BUSY, we all get busy)

What can we do as new members to keep the spirit of the Jedi in our lives and alive in our physical community? Ideas? What are your plans?

In Peace, May the force be with you

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51246 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: The Dormant Members
There are many reasons. Sometimes, people don't learn anything anymore online. Sometimes they just get tired of the whole online thing and associated issues. Sometimes they find something offline. Not necessarily called Jedi, but similar. Sometimes they move on from Jediism. Sometimes they die. And sometimes... People who got their knight rank a few years ago wouldn't deserve your rank of initiate (got a recent case).

Also... Sometimes the admin gets really annoyed when someone posts something that is not an introduction in the "introduce yourself" section and decides to go on strike.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by ren.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51248 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Dormant Members
I appreciate your input and the avatar pics you post!

More
12 years 2 months ago #51250 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: The Dormant Members
It's impossible to predict what will happen in life and how that might affect the way that you see things. You can feel very strongly about something one minute, and then something might happen which will change your mind completely. I'd like to think that I will be a member of TOTJO for as long as I am alive and the site still exists, but it would be impossible for any of us to be 100% certain that we will always be here. Sometimes priorities change. We cannot begrudge people for that as it could happen to any of us; all we can do is wish them well and welcome them back with open arms if they ever return (something that I've already seen many times in my short time here :) ).

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51252 by
So what are you doing V Tog? To make this site something other than a discussion forum?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51255 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: The Dormant Members
I'm not 100% sure to what your question is referring - I'm taking it to mean what am I doing personally to make TOTJO more of a community and way of life than just a website where people come and go?

I don't think that there is anything that could be done to stop people from leaving. As I said, if something makes someone want to leave, I think that it would often be more down to factors outside of Jediism and TOTJO, and if people leave because they are moving on from Jediism, it would probably be inevitable that they reach that point regardless of what we do or say here. As I said, my current view is that I hope to be here a long time, and I am doing what I can to make Jediism part of my way of life now, which definitely makes TOTJO more than just a discussion forum to me. For others, I try to be welcoming and supportive as much as I can, both for new members and members that post about needing some other kind of support, whether it be linked to their training or emotional, or anything else. I think that when everyone does such things (which everyone here definitely does), people will feel more as if this is a network/community of friends supporting each other through our Jediism journeys, and therefore it will become more than a discussion forum to them too.

Does that answer your question? I tried to go at it from several different angles. Out of interest, what would you do?

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51257 by
I think a good point to start with is the reality that some people need more than the internet to stay focused. Some people need something a bit more "real". That being said, I think being able to interact with other jedi in person is a nessecity for some. The Jedi resource center ( http://jediresourcecenter.org ) is a good starting place.

Malkizedek aka, Shem

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51259 by
Just because someone is not posting does not make them a dormant member. The path leads Jedi in many ways and to many destinations. As long as they are following the Jedi Way they are not dormant...just following the path. If they start to post again that is great, if they are following their path, lets support them through the Force.

More
12 years 2 months ago #51263 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: The Dormant Members
There's lots of good ideas here so far. It's not unusual for people to get college degrees online nowadays. Thirty years ago there was no such thing, although there were correspondence classes and schools. Imagine mailing lessons back and forth with no word processors.

Weight Watchers started as physical groups but now has a successful program that's all online. Those degrees are real. All that weight loos is real.

I know our future includes group voice and video chats. We meet people we'd never know about if were not for the Internet.

As far as I know the only way anyone's tried to get a local group together is by seeing if any members were nearby. What would one do to try and get a group together? Post fliers at the grocery store? Hand out pamphlets?

How would a group coordinate with the site?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51264 by
Greetings all.

Phortis makes a good point. As one whose path has once again found its way through TOTJO I understand well that their are times when an individual needs to step away. There could be several reasons; personal growth, life issues, work, etc.

It is unfortunate as their wisdom, friendship, prescence is missed when they are gone. I feel for the newer member who is full of excitement, energy and the desire to learn from the Masters. I would say be patient and do not despair.

The absence of one also creates a window of opportunity for another to rise up in their stead. "When the student is ready, the Master will appear."

Trust that these unseen members continue to walk the Jedi path. Give them the benefit of the doubt, wish them well and rejoice on their return.

Humbly,

Jax

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi