help with rural town usa

More
12 years 3 months ago #50426 by steamboat28
That's just the thing: you should never enter the "what religion is best" debate. Ever.

Instead, only ever have the "what religion is right for ME" discussion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #50427 by Proteus
If I've ever made anybody such as a devoted Christian even begin to contemplate the validity of what I believe vs what they've been following, it's been through the opportunity of them happening to come to me for advice or clarity on something concerning their life in which they felt they didn't wish to consult their church about, or else I just happened to be near and they were personally close to me. Through opportunity like this, they seem more willing to open up their ears to my own views and at least half the time they become shocked (in a way of good revelation) by what I have to say. I tend to usually receive questions about how I "know so much about this" or "how I'm able to give such good advice and views", and when they begin those questions, I slowly lead them down the trail to where I stand.

In this way and in the way as simply serving as a good example, I tend to make a larger impact toward people about my beliefs than any verbal discussion or debate could normally accomplish with these same types of people.

In terms of setting the example (for example), A neighbor of mine is a "devout" baptist christian who's recently been discriminated against and reported to the authorities (child protective services) because of a growing record she's began accumulating with getting drunk and going out driving, etc etc. It's mostly through gossip to and from a lady who doesn't even know her in person. The neighbor called me the other day to ask for advice as to "how she can report this lady to the authorities for being a coke head so that she loses her job to show her how it feels". I quickly told her that I don't advocate that kind of response in a situation like this. I advised her that if it were me, I would insist on meeting with the lady personally so she can get to know who I am and end the gossip right then and there. By "tattle tailing" on this lady, I warned would only cause more trouble and not solve her problem in the end. She felt appalled at the fact that I was recommending diplomacy, confessed that I was not telling her what she wanted to hear, but said thanks anyway, and that was the end of that discussion.

She's a "devote" christian, yet she has no intentions of following what somebody like Jesus would've done in such a situation. I, who am not a christian at all, naturally would have followed this path, and even offered advice that very obviously reflects the teachings of her "god", and she refused. This is okay though, since I'm sure a day will come when she may think back on the conversation while, or after many episodes of drama have broken out and think to herself that she should have taken my advice. Even more, she may one day ponder how somebody who isn't christian was able to come up with such advice and why, and maybe her heart may wander from there.

It's events and opportunity like this that has the most potential to inspire a person to ponder the path one is on.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Proteus.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 months ago #50438 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: help with rural town usa
We already know which is the best religion. It's Jediism (just a friendly reminder for the --I Hope VERY-- few of you who didn't know). Debating that with infidels is blasphemy :evil:

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50440 by
Replied by on topic Re: help with rural town usa
This is how it got started. A friend of mine was nice enough to let me stay with him till I found my own place on one condition and that was I attend his church. He knew my beliefs but kept quiet on the real reason he wanted me to go. I like meeting new people so at first it was fine. Then they tried converting me which irked me greatly so I stopped going. Well recently the pastor of this church contacted me to just talk. I figured there was nothing wrong with that. He wanted me to come in last Sunday to see with 2that others who he said thought like I did but that proved to be wrong too. It was just a my belief was wrong and there's was the truth. So now they want proof why I follow what I follow and not some dude that claimed to be a savior. Im also pureland, I don't believe in the so called christian doctrine. Only person I had an intelligent conversation with was a rabbi who wants to learn more on jediism.

More
12 years 3 months ago #50441 by steamboat28
I understand you were in a hard place, but from start to finish, this whole situation sounds like a really, really harsh thing to do to a friend. I'm not here to pass judgement on anyone, but if your friend wanted to help you out, he'd just give you a place to stay. If he wanted to "convert" you, he'd live in such a way that you'd want to know more about his faith, instead of forcing you into his. Please, allow me to apologize for over-zealous Christians everywhere who simply DO. NOT. understand that they're doing it exactly, perfectly, completely wrong.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 3 months ago #50442 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: help with rural town usa

Jestor wrote:

I've even tried explaining to the pastor there needs to be religious tolerance/diversity. He pretty much said there will be when all see the light and christianity is the true path. I about fell out of my seat hearing that.

Why? This would be the first question I would ask you...

There doesn't need to be... Its their house....

You prolly ought not to come by my house and tell me how to live in it... Cause you might lose... ;)

Seriously, BD, why are you going there? If they are not open to your beliefs, then why go?

As a conversation has give and take... It makes it tough to "give you ammunition"...

What are some things they say?

I know I offered some advice through the PM, and I still advocate talking, as do our brothers and sister thus far in this thread....

Not many "houses" are about open discussion....

Try a neutral meeting place.... Go for coffee... They want, the home field advantage.... In God's house, its hard to defend yourself....

Don't try to convert them, (I don't think you are...), because what they are doing works for them....

One on one....

Two or three people of any religion, especially real knowledgeable ones, have a better chance of "winning" a conversation....

Its not about "winning", its about doing what's right for the individual....

@ Steamboat... ya know... he prolly thinks he is going "right", they all do...

Trying to save a soul...

BD did go to the meeting on his own....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 months ago #50443 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: help with rural town usa

A friend of mine was nice enough to let me stay with him till I found my own place on one condition and that was I attend his church

That is NO friend.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
12 years 3 months ago #50444 by steamboat28
I agree, he probably thinks he's doing the OP a big favor, but something Christians need to understand (as well as members of other faiths, but we're by far the worst offenders in this case!) is that they need to follow the tenets of their faith, and not the doctrines that spring up in the wake of those tenets.

If a Christian really wants to help someone, they should look at Christ's example: Christ healed FIRST, he helped FIRST, he fixed problems FIRST, he was a good neighbor and friend FIRST, and after that, if people were curious, THEN he'd talk about his religious beliefs.

Forgive me if I'm ranty, but my daily prayer is "Dear God, please save the world from your misguided followers."

As for the conversations, I agree that it would be good to speak with the minister, but to do so on some kind of casual, neutral ground. It will relieve most of that pressure as well as taking him out of his element a bit in regards to trying to be overly aggressive.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50448 by
Oh, brother in the Force! No fundamentalist evangelical is going to really listen to you. They believe that if you don't have Christ in your heart, then you're an emissary of Satan. Just like if you have not been unplugged from the matrix, you could change into an agent at any moment! This prevents them from having a real conversation with anyone! How could they? They're fighting the devil!! They're right! You're wrong! You'll only know you're wrong once you see the light!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50451 by
Thank you all. I think I will try to convince a one on one as you suggested Jestor with my own choosing of place. I do believe this is the only way I will make this see everyone is not like them and we dont need Saving in there eyes.

I was trying to justify my belief to them and why but when I had to sit with 2 it made it harder and I was out of my element and in theres.

I believe it is the only way they will understand I am not trying to push mine belief on them and I dont want them pushing theres on me. I seek wisdom not ignorance.

MTFBWYA!!!
Brian

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi