exercise III - Jedi Code and Doctrine question

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49515 by
After reading the Jedi code and doctrine i see a lot of similarities in my life in the here and now, however, i was in the U.S. Army and was trained to kill or be killed in a combat situation and have been in combat and have killed and attacked and destroyed villages as per my orders. the question i have is how does the Jedi order feel about the military and their way of training, i know that the Jedi are supposed to bring peace and serenity to parts of the world where there is conflict and oppression, however the military believe in doing so we must use violence in order to bring about peace, am i wrong to think that this is a contradiction or does the military and the Jedi Order share the same beliefs.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: forgot to add exercise number as per exercise I,II,III guide Lines

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #49551 by Br. John
There's plenty of current and former members of the armed forces here. I hope you'll post this as a topic under Jediism in the forum so everyone will feel free to answer. Being in your journal there's the rule of not generally allowing others to post here.

Rest easy. You're OK. If someone were attacking your family in your home you may have to kill. Think of it along those lines.

Founder of The Order

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 3 months ago #49555 by Jestor
I took the liberty of moving this thread Kenion, I hope that's ok...

That way the membership can chime in, as Br. John has already suggested....

You have a journal, already, so, I figured this was more a general question....

And, my opinion is....

You use force as a last resort right? Generally speaking...

I train in the Martial Arts....

While I don't train to kill..

I do train to defend myself and those I'm sworn to protect....

I would feel terrible if it came to that.. It is a possibility....

You train to kill, if you have to... You don't train to kill cause you want to (kill that is)......

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49561 by Adder
The Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) guides military operations to operate within humane limits;

Law of War: The “law of war” is that part of international law that regulates the conduct of armed hostilities. Frequently, it is referred to as the “law of armed conflict.” The law of war encompasses all international law for the conduct of hostilities binding on the United States or its individual citizens, including treaties and international agreements to which the United States is a party, and applicable customary international law.

I think all US military personnal undergo “law of war” training. Looking at some info online it appears that the basic principles are inline with Jedi philosophy, IMO;

(1) fight only enemy combatants.
(2) do not harm enemy soldiers who surrender - disarm them and turn them over to their superiors.
(3) do not torture or kill enemy prisoners of war or detainees.
(4) collect and care for the wounded, whether friend or foe.
(5) do not attack medical personnel, facilities, equipment, or chaplains.
(6) destroy no more than the mission requires.
(7) treat all civilians humanely.
(8) do not steal; they respect private property and possessions.
(9) do their best to prevent violations of the law of war, and report all violations to their superiors.

I guess what it doesnt say in those basic principles is to use the least amount of force necassary to disarm and disable - to try and relegate to last resort the destruction - but that level of awareness and capability to adjust in a timely fashion is impossible most of the time I'd guess... so perhaps more an ideal then a rule. Whereas the above basic principles seem to represent the legal obligation to follow at all times.

Source: USMC HQ, MCO 3300.4

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
12 years 3 months ago #49576 by Wescli Wardest
I have struggled with some of the same questions. And I think it is hard to describe how it is to be in combat to those who have only seen it on TV.

Adder brings the LOAC and makes a good point. Unfortunately, in the heat of battle civie’s will get hit and killed from time to time. And that is a whole other can of worms to open.

I am Ex Army. I do not regret my service, but I am not always proud of our actions. Or better yet, I am not always proud of what we were asked to do. We did as well or better than can be expected with the task at hand.

For many people setting back in their homes enjoying the freedoms provide them by their countries military it is easy to set back and pass judgment. For those on the front line, the only one you have to convince is yourself and then make sure you get home. Don’t worry what others think. I know you did what you had to and chances are if you were put back in that situation you would do it again. I am not yet a knight, but I am an apprentice and have completed the initiates program and there is nothing I have learned that makes me believe that anything I did was wrong. If you are here, we are probably very similar.

I am always open to talking if you have any questions, PM me.
And may the Force be with you in all your journeys my friend.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49577 by
I as well, was in the ARMY.. never exposed to any hollywood situations.. but understand where your coming from.
It can be frustrating at times. We are here and alive, some brothers are not. Bless those fallen, and there families.
Freedom is never free

Keep on, keeping on... until the day breaks and the shadows flee away..
This is a good place, lots to learn here.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49579 by
I have never served with the armed forces so I cannot begin to understand what it must be like to be on the front line. I do however have an opinion on this topic. I believe that where ever possible conflict should be avoided, but I also believe that the weak should be defended from the strong. If a situation cannot be dealt with without coming to blows I would lean towards the teachings of Aikido and try to suppress the attacker without causing them harm. However, sometimes it comes down to kill or be killed in which case the only option is to use this most extreme response to defend yourself, those you care for or the innocent.

The problem with many wars, in my opinion, is not the individual soldier, like yourself, who is following orders, but rather the politics and motivation behind the leaders who are giving the orders.

Rest assured, and this includes anyone who reads this and has served with the military, I am extremely appreciative of all you do to protect the freedom of us all and bow to your bravery and to the sacrifices you make.

The Force will be with you, always.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi