An essay to remind us what being human is about.

More
12 years 5 months ago #46105 by Wescli Wardest
Just for clarification, in my previous post I was referring to the Bible because that is the text that most Christians refer to. And I was pointing out discrepancies. I was not trying to use it as any kind of defense to my position. :sick:

Not that any said I was, I just wanted to be clear for others benefit.
B)

May the Force be with you.

Monastic Order of Knights

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #46109 by

Jestor wrote:

Knarf wrote: Your talking about a world where people dont insult eachother. I talk about one were people simply dont feel insulted.

Excellent...

"Nigga" is not an insult, is it? From one black person to another, maybe not, try using it as a white guy...

"Don't be such a queen/fag" isn't slanderous from one homosexual to another....

I'm Middle aged white guy who worries when I say 'Gay", or 'Black', or 'Women', that someone is going to be offended...

When really, being a fat (overweight), bald (hairless), middle aged (almost old), white (racist), male (sexist), public works employee (lazy government worker), is just supposed to roll with it, which i do, cause they are just words...

But call someone fat, or any of those, and I am being... Something... even in jest, to a friend...

I'm not saying we live in a world where no-one feels insulted. I'm saying that striving for a world where no-one feels insulted, is (in my eyes) better then striving for one where no-one 'insults' eachother.

Besides I was refering to people being insulted by jokes instead of simply being called a 'nigga', thats not really funny.

You can start living you live with the credo 'dont insult people'. But you'll still get to endure other peoples insults and might be insulted by them.

The better way seems to be; to simply not let those things bother you and dont feel insulted. This doesnt mean you should walk the streets calling every black person a nigger or whatever...

You said you posted some jokes about catholics...I think anyone who knows you just a bit, knows that you didnt do it to insult anyone...so theirs no point for them to get winded up about it. If they look at it without taking it personal cause of the word 'catholic' they might even like the joke...

Anyway I think I pretty much showed my point of view on this matter, I expect nothing more then there being loads of people disagreeing with me.

Like I said, 6 billion people each with their own oppinion. I think its a beautiful thing.

I'll shut up for now (regarding this subject) :p

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 5 months ago #46111 by Jestor
Knarf, I am in complete agreement with your sentiments!!

We all know, some blacks say that as a form of "man"

As in "wazz up maaannnn"... One of my normal greetings...

And I've heard my gay friends saying, "don't be gay"...

But as a middle age white guy, I can't joke around like that...

And i really like to joke around...

BTW Knarf, I appreciate what you said, sometimes, my humor does miss the mark!! :woohoo:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 5 months ago #46112 by Jestor
What did our moms tell us when we came home crying cause someone called us ugly, fat, short, whatever...

Sticks and stones,
Can break my bones,
but words can never hurt me.....

This is still true, even as an adult....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 5 months ago #46118 by Adder
Under ideal conditions I agree that having thick skin should mitigate these things escalating, but I think lots of people in society do overreach on insults. Its a common cheap shot and amongst friends thats ok because friends have a wider range of interactions due to the greater time exposure to each other, but from a stranger cheap shots usually are intepreted as warning shots to conflict. The problem I worry about is people who are not in ideal conditions, suffering depression etc for whatever reason some people can already be worn down and vulnerable and its people in this position who might not be able to handle extra stress from being stigmatized.

I personally didnt enjoy the article because I think the gay topic is thrashed to death... lots of people suffer harassment and discrimination which lead to fatal results, for lots of different reasons and sexuality is but one of them. Since he doesnt have a partner and no friends he seems to be freaking out about what happens IF people find out rather then having to suffer actual discrimination. Obviously he'll have to relocate because he doesnt have the energy left (for whatever reason) to confront the community about its gender discrimination behaviours. I dont disagree with the article though, and think society should be much more compassionate of others.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #46121 by
I can see Knarf's and Tenrec's points of view here.

Some of the times I've laughed the hardest was when a friend insulted me about something dumb I did, said or acted. But, fortunately, not everyone is like me and won't appreciate that kind of humor. We need to have thicker skin in a lot of cases. It gets so tiring with how many times people get offended in the U.S.; we call them lawsuits.

But on the other hand, we need to be cognizant and tactful about who can endure ribbing and who can't. Some of the things I've jabbed my co-workers with I would NEVER joke about to my wife, sister or father (my father is very prude).

We just need to be smart. Is that so hard? (Haha.)

More
12 years 4 months ago #46334 by Wescli Wardest
I believe that most people tend to over react to things done or said because of a false sense of ego. Most people view their own egos in relation to how they perceive others to view them. This stems from a false sense of security and a lack of true self worth. And it seems that causing a scene has become the social norm for acceptance. That is the only reason I can find to support the popularity of reality TV and shows like Jerry Springer. In any case, why should one concern them self with how they are viewed by another?

Don’t believe me, the next time someone gets up in arms about something; ask them why they care so much. Listen to their answer and continue asking until the root of the matter is resolved. “Because someone did or said something” is NOT a valid argument. (and this will not make you popular)

And to attack one in a venerable position and unsure of their self is cowardly. For many, this is how they reassure their own fragile egos. And it seems it is easier for the general populace to ostracize rather than attempt to understand what may be uncomfortable.

In each case or scenario there are different factors at play which must be taken into account before a suitable response can be calculated. And even under careful scrutiny, not all variables can always be perceived.

And when in doubt, remember that if you lower your expectations enough; you will seldom be disappointed! :P

Monastic Order of Knights

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #48460 by
http://www.danoah.com/2012/01/im-christian-unless-youre-gay-live-reading-by-dan-pearce.html

Posting the video of the essay, and reviving the topic for those who are new and may not have seen it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi