Social Networks

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43526 by
Social Networks was created by
What's the community's opinion on using social networks such as Twitter and Facebook for discussions and promotion of Jediism? Positives and negatives?

Personally, I think it's an avenue that at least needs to be explored in that it introduces a whole scope of interested individuals to Jediism, however may invite unwelcome guests and negative press if not monitored carefully.

Your thoughts?

Best wishes

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43531 by
Replied by on topic Re: Social Networks
Long time no speak baralfobre.

I support this idea. I can't see any obvious downsides.

Are you saying we use the current social networks such as facebook or that, providing someone has the skills, we set up one of our own?

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 6 months ago #43534 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Social Networks
If your roll your mouse over the menu up top called "Community", you'll find the link to our facebook page... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 6 months ago #43535 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Social Networks
Our Facebook page tells enough about us to show what we are and direct people to come here if they're interested.

We're well equipped to handle all discussions, debates, training, interaction and services here.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43538 by
Personally I keep a Link to the temple on my Google Profile and sometimes mention items of discussion on google plus, rarely have any takers though... so most of my Jedi time ends up at the temple, though I do keep a circle in Google+ to share jedi related news and religious comics with

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43553 by
So the general consensus is that Facebook is enough to promote Jediism and should only link back to the main website?

How about other social networks like Twitter etc. that help put the message out there?

Best wishes

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 6 months ago #43561 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Social Networks
I don't think we really give a damn, we have a nice website and regular intake. We have no need to tell "followers" what our founder ate this morning. But we can start a thread, chat, shout, pm, and make sermons about it.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43571 by
Yes we do already have a Facebook page. But what is the reasoning (excluding the external community for a second) as to why we couldn't make it easier for people here to interact with each other on the website? Perhaps with features similar to Facebook or twitter.

We also have to remember that if someone is a member already of another Jedi site then they may wish to remain there instead of visiting our forums.

A Jedi social network i.e. one in which all the members of it are Jedi would encourage everyone to talk to each other more.

I'm just saying that we should at least consider having a more universal way of talking to all Jedi rather than having them come to our specific Jediism site (or Facebook page).

More
12 years 6 months ago #43576 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Social Networks
At the beginning of this year we were about to try an experiment with Jediism.net. It would have been a non-partisan site for anyone interested or involved in Jediism / Jedi Realism. The idea was to have moderators from all the major / significant organizations.

That was set aside with all the issues we were having with the old site program and the server.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Other than what I said there were no other details worked out.

Is there a use or need for a Jediism.net? (We have Jediism.info available too.)

Founder of The Order

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 6 months ago #43582 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Social Networks
create a new site to allow people from other sites to meet... lol. It miserably failed. on multiple occasions. They can just register here if they wish, we can just register there if we wish. The only one that worked is JRC because it allows people to meet in real life... Not quite your standard social network. No need to reinvent the square wheel, we already know it sucks.

Anyway, what baral is talking about is using existing services to essentially advertise, not quite a thing by Jedi for Jedi. Although google could be used for this with that circles feature.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi