evolution

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43500 by
Replied by on topic Re: evolution
thats a very valide point master Br. John, the problem with the bible is that because its loads of different peoples inputs then its full of contridictions and holes, how can a book/a library of books be classed as something to guide and live life by if the people whom wrote it cant decide on the simplest of things.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43787 by
well sat with my friend for another night of his bible study and the sub brought in the tape on this subject. I can tell there is no persuading them now. The christians in this area are very closed minded and believe humans are not mammals and we were put here to dominate the animal kingdom.

it is sad in a way but all I can do is pray to the Force for compassion to them. They wouldnt even let me speak this time. I think it's cause they saw how uneasy and unpersuaded I was.

MTFBWYA!
brian

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43790 by
Eh at the end of the day people are going to believe what they believe, this is true of all things, religion, evolution, political parties, etc. There are a lot of people who are on the fence or who don't have their minds made up, and these people can be influenced or convinced one way or the other, but very rarely are the people who have made their minds going to be swayed to think another way. This is just true of human beings.

While it would be great to have everyone agree in theory, if this was the case the world would become stagnant. Differing views are necessary to drive new ideas and critical thinking.

Don't let the closed mindedness and arrogance of others effect you though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #43793 by
Evolution is fact... That should be end of story.

I die a little every time someone says "If we came from chimps, why are there still chimps?". Hopefully with time and educating people about what evolution actually is, people will accept it.

Although I doubt it.

This place makes me weep
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43794 by
It should be the end of the story in your mind, but in the mind of millions of others it is not the case, and at the end of the day you have to accept that it is their belief and move on. We can do everything we can to try and educate others, but why would we spend any significant portion of our lives trying to push against the immovable wall?

I agree that evolution is happening and is the cause of humans being here today, so I agree with you on that. I have just learned to accept that the likelihood of everyone in the world agreeing with us is close to zero, and that's OK.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43795 by
Seems that evolving is relatively easy, even though there is pain involved, generally. The suffering of change. Transcendence, however, seems much, much more difficult.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43796 by
whats funny and i just remembered this is in that video that the sub pastor brought in. the creationist on it argues where is the evolution? he tries pointing out that if evolution existed it should happen in a 24 hour period. I take it this individual probably failed science and is going bout this the only way he can. by attacking it with the bible.

oh well, i go to make my friend happy so thats all i can keep doing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43799 by
It is impressive that you go simply for your friend, but you should still keep an open mind to some of the things you can learn there. While you may not believe the myths or many of the things in the bible (creationism etc) there are still valuable lessons to be learned from the bible and it's stories, if one does not take them literally and instead looks to the values or the morals they look to teach. Many of the things they discuss would mirror the same values and beliefs that we look to follow as Jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43801 by
oh i do, what i meant was i go to bible study with him. I attend church with him also but more on the grounds for me learning about them. I have read most of the bible already in the past but I like hearing there interpations of it which sometimes boggles me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43804 by
Right? It's one of the most confusing, yet profoundly wonderful things about religion in general, which is that it's personal and different for every individual.

I very much doubt that there are two people in the world that would tell you what their religion is to them, in exactly the same words, or have it being the exact same thing. It is a unique experience to everyone.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi