Honesty Reward

More
12 years 7 months ago #43318 by Damion_Storm
Honesty Reward was created by Damion_Storm
This weekend I had something happen that made me think. While on vacation last week I had the opportunity to go to a Renaissance Festival. On the last day we went to a booth and made a purchase got change and left. Being the person I am and the type of people I generally deal with at these events I did not bother counting the change he gave me back. On our way out we decided to get something to bring home to my daughter. When I went to pay realized that the last vendor had given me 2 $10 bills and a $100 bill instead of three 10's. I then ran back up the hill to catch the man before he left since this was at closing time and just made it. I explained what happened and gave him the $100 back and he gave me $40 not just the 10. I tried to give it back saying that was still too much. His reply was "For your honesty you deserve a reward. Please, take it along with my thanks." His wife then stated we needed hugs also and her thanks as well.

So the topic of this is: "Do you believe doing the right thing should be rewarded?"

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #43329 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Honesty Reward
My reaction is that it shouldn't be expected, but can be accepted. I guess in that scenario another option might have been to buy something else from them with the extra they rewarded you with, but they sound like the sort of people who might have then tried to give you that for free as well!!! Throw the money at them and run :)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43331 by
Replied by on topic Re: Honesty Reward
I don't want to sound overly pious, but generally just the knowledge that I did what I think was right is reward enough.

If I can look back on something and think to myself 'I did what I think was the right thing to do' then I'm content.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #43333 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Honesty Reward
Some people recently pointed out the failings of communism. Humans are reward-driven, so... no reward, no drive...

You could have earned 90 or 0, or 40 + thanks and hugs, or no cash + thanks and hugs. It all depends on what you like... The impact is personal anyway. You can save a guy USD90 which he could then spend on financing the IRA or ETA. You wouldn't be doing anyone a favor. The only predictable outcome in this situation is how you will feel about your actions, not whether your action or inaction has a positive or negative impact.
But most people do not understand wu-wei so I'll stop here. And get on with your question.

There are less obvious implications in rewarding or not rewarding "the right thing".

First of all, right and wrong are never certain. On top of that, they are subjective.
No reward could push people to keep the extra money, potentially putting the general population's integrity at risk, have a dire impact on those clumsier than others and very simply fragment society through distrust.

Offering a reward could mean that the general population receives a reward for something very simple and natural and will in time expect a reward for all things simple and natural. The mere introduction of reward will reshape this "nature" into, well, unnatural acts. "Right" would then mean "actions which are rewarded". This can become a very serious problem as well.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43334 by
Replied by on topic Re: Honesty Reward
'I wonder if this guy experienced a lot of honesty from his customers.' Taro mused. Tensora-san didn't deign to comment, except to keep scribbling in his ledger. It was enough to make everyone wonder what he was writing.

'I know whenever I get a customer who shows some honesty or integrity in the club, I feel grateful.' Tsuneo agreed, sulkily looking away, 'Once, I had a customer leave a piece of blank paper in my tip cup, then they came back and gave me a real tip because they'd done it on accident. It made me want to buy them a drink or something, just to thank them.' And that WAS impressive indeed, given that Tsuneo was always complaining about the job.

'Maybe it's the idea that, with values in decline, some people out there are subscribing to the school of thought that, if we reward people for their honesty, or integrity, or kindness, it will encourage the behavior in the future, or endorse behavior like it from other people. I know that's how I see it when I try to do something for someone who's done me a good turn.' Kakeru added, shrugging.

'Or it could be a karma thing.' James offered. All of the geisha just shrugged, nobody really having an idea of if it was 'Right' or not.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #43336 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Honesty Reward
If the exchange went off without a hitch, then would it be worthy of a conversation? (yes, for everything is...;)...)

We thank the seller for his merchandise, and for the oppourtunity to buy it at a mutually agreeable price....

The seller thanks us for our patronage, and choosing his wares over the products of another...

But, we do not thank for honesty, in the transaction, it is the least we can do, and should do, to remain civilized...

Just my two bits...

:whistle:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi