Are you an early bird or a night owl?

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
12 years 6 months ago #43184 by Jon
Some people claim getting an early start on the day is the best way to live. You have the opportunity to get focused early on and tackle the day`s tasks and projects with little to no distractions. Then, when the rest of the world wakes up, you`re already a few hours ahead of the game.

Yet there are those who claim the better way to clear the day of its chores is early on to allow you to look at the "get to do`s" as the day draws to its close. Many people have had the day to allow ideas and strategies to percolate throughout the day and spend the waining hours of the day making those ideas happen. In essence, they`re getting a head start as well but just really late the night (or in the early morning) beforehand.

Personally my life is pretty much screwed up anyway, since I usually go to bed at 10 am and get up at about 6 pm. But in my past and when I do have free from nights I usually stay up till the early morning hours. I usually find the best ideas come when the night falls and that my capacity to memorise things greater when I go to bed at night. So I would describe myself very much a night owl. Although that doesn`t say I`m impossible to get up in the morning. I just find the night inspiring and intimate. I like to have things done and organised when I do get up. It gives me a feeling of security.

There are "psychological" studies which claim that those night owls are of a greater IQ. They are however emotionally less stable and reliable.

Now you may be asking yourself what this is all about. It is about you and me. I do think it important to know our habits, why we do them, in what way they effect us, where they are taking us and where we want to go.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 6 months ago #43187 by ren
I like the night better. More peaceful I seem to get more things done, and my "day" actually feels longer. Unfortunately I work days now, and when I'm on at 4am it means it's been a long day. I miss working nights. So I guess I'm one of them night predators.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 6 months ago #43191 by RyuJin
i'm certainly a night stalker myself, i absolutely dread waking up during any point with daylight present, when i do i'm always tired. yet when i wake up at night i feel fully energized, it's easier to figure things out, the weather is cooler...of course there are some things that can only be done during the day due to nature...but there are also things that can only be done at night too....

interesting theory/point about the night owls being of higher i.q's...i took a kinsey institute i.q. test and my results place me in the top 2%(i actually took 3 different i.q. tests and got the exact same score each time)....it'd be interesting to see if it's really true.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43192 by
“Who is the early bird... is always sleepy”, one of my favorite revision of a famous proverb.

But, it's probably all just in the habit. This summer, I usually had to wake up for work at 4:30 AM and after a while I was glad about that, so there was a large part of the day left after work, which could be used to my pleasure. When I was working at night, still I could sleep when I wanted and have a time for my pleasure.
Probably it also depends on ones social life. I have the same percentage of the friends with whom I hang out during day / evening and the same number that is "online" at night. My creativity is not dependent on time of the day but on the surrounding events (specifically whether or not my kids are at home) and my level of availability for such creative expression. For example, today my family went to see my mother in law and will stay there all day. I decided that this time I divide, first the time at home spending online and among other things type the first part of lesson V that I wrote yesterday (pencil and paper rules). And in the late afternoon, will go out and socialize with friends.

There. It makes sense.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43193 by

RyuJin wrote: ...i took a kinsey institute i.q. test and my results place me in the top 2%(i actually took 3 different i.q. tests and got the exact same score each time)....it'd be interesting to see if it's really true.

I know the jedi should be generous, but you could give money to charity instead to them :whistle:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 6 months ago #43198 by ren
It is time to put and end to that stupid early bird myth. The reality is the early bird exhausts itself flying around all day waiting for the damn worm to get out of bed.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43208 by
I prefer the night. I'm awful at getting up in the morning. If I HAVE to get up then I do, but I normally lay in my bed dozing for a while (advantage of being 19 years old and only part time employed and having NO responsibilities :P)

But once I'm up I'm up for good. I never go back to sleep.

I sometimes half-sleep on the car on the way back from work (I get driven rather than drive so don't worry lol) or sometimes when I'm on the bus. When I am dreaming but completely aware that I'm dreaming even though I don't expressly think that I am; but I am always completely aware of my surroundings when I'm like that (which I think is really awesome!)

I had heard that the best time to learn things is around 10pm I. That might be to do with you remembering thoughts better when you sleep soon after thinking them. I am definitely one for always reading or posting on forums and generally feeling more relaxed in the evening.

More
12 years 6 months ago #43212 by Adder
Sleeping in late is great for dreams, but I dont mind so long as I get 10 hours sleep!! If your not too close to built up living areas with artificial lighting then a clear night allows a connection to the galaxy seeing all the stars, and is usually a lot more serene. Each has its advantages. In regards to the Force, dusk and dawn are interesting times as the living world shifts gears into different habits, and its when the temperatures change by the largest amount... not to mention the colours as light scatters through the atmosphere.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43275 by
I'm very much a night owl! I feel more energetic as it becomes nighttime also. It is like the dark pumps me up or something.

On that note, I think I could totally handle Alaska or something in the winter when it is dark all day or most of the day. It is almost as if I have the opposite of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Instead of getting irritable when it is dark or dreary for too long, I get irritable if it is sunny for too long.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43988 by
I am absolutely, 100% a night owl. I am a little strange though. I do my best work at night. However, being from L.A., I love the sun. Sun makes me very happy and I am reminded to be grateful when the sun comes out because it is a beautiful day and I can go outside and take a walk, which is also very good for reflection. I'm lucky because the light doesn't wake me up since I'm blind.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi