Surviving the Modern Jungle

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42635 by
"Rules! Hell, there are no rules here… We’re trying to accomplish something." – Thomas Edison

This quote has been a favourite of mine for many, many years.

I would love to hear what people think it means and how it applies.

My spoiler text is my rendition.

Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #42640 by Adder
My opinion is that rules should exist to speed up decision making, and they should exist within a matrix as a function of available time. If rules are inappropriate then they are bad rules or are being applied badly. Rules should not be automatic (or autocratic) restrictions, but instead be vehicles for keeping control when control is required. So I think Edison meant they were trying to create an unknown thing, outside existing frames of reference, that was deliberatly not under the influence of existing knowledge... an unnamed, new accomplishment which could only be called 'something'.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42644 by
Replied by on topic Re: Surviving the Modern Jungle
@Sana, I like your rendition of the quote. I kind of take it like you, not rules as in "Thou shall not kill," but rules of normality. Edison was quite the eccentric man, and this quote is about challenging the rules of societies norms. "Were trying to accomplish something." I don't care how society views me, I'm trying to do something that changes the world. Perfect example, the Wright borthers. The old rule was, man will never fly. Yet here are 2 guys who says "Screw that, we can totes do this!" and changed the way travel was forever.

Look at me, rambling on. :blush: Oh well. That how I take it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42649 by
I was not taking it as in moral rules, but as in rules of social, normal, and "the Box"

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42654 by Adder
Arent they the same thing, but in different contexts?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42702 by
To a point, but I think that there are different codes for handling social and logical circumstances.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 7 months ago #42713 by Jestor
Rules, are a way of control....

We, as a society agree that rules should be a certain way...

By calling something a rule, society tells us it is bad to go against it...

Against the rules of nature...

against the rules of man...

The rules of nature are recognized patterns we take for a fact, and such, no deviation is right...

The rules of man, are the majority of people agreeing that something is right.. (Or a few people in power wanting control...)...

Like the saying is...

Rules are made to be broken...

Use your judgement...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
12 years 7 months ago #42716 by Angelus
Rules represent something called civil liberty. It's the notion that one lives freely within the rules set down by the lawmakers. I think the purpose of any Jedi here is to achieve moral liberty, where one doesn't need to follow rules because their moral convictions either already comply with or supersede the rules. For example, in my world of moral liberty, the law cannot tell me that I cannot marry another man if I so choose, but my own convictions will not allow me, so to speak, to murder someone.

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42820 by
I like Jestor's way of explaining :)

I concur also with Angelus, stating the ideals taught here at TOTJO and within the code/a person's moral convictions already comply with the ideals, to a point.

Let's apply the idea of "Rules" to the thought process.

Most people think within set patterns. Why are they set like this? How are they taught? Why do we continue to think in that manner?

Sana's Opinions
Warning: Spoiler!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42833 by
Are you a trafic signal or a detour? Discipline breeds moral and creativity, Ego slows a process but is sometimes good for realignment of vision...

Edison was a plagiarizing crook so he was probably trying to get a paten on someone else's work.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi