• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42345 by
16 September 2011

Original article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14944470

I found this rather interesting:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #42349 by ren
"Evangelical atheists who want to convert the world to unbelief are copying religion at its dogmatic worst. " Not nearly true. We can compare this with fairly recent history instead of the middle ages (that's just too easy):

There were once two great super powers. both of them had access to terrible weapons, whose technology came from scientific study...

One of those super powers was predominantly christian (a religion that supposedly preaches love) and claimed to be tolerant of differing opinions.
The other super power, a totalitarian regime, prohibited religion (all of them).

Guess which of the two super powers did a very naughty thing (sin?).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42360 by Adder

ren wrote: There were once two great super powers. both of them had access to terrible weapons, whose technology came from scientific study...

One of those super powers was predominantly christian (a religion that supposedly preaches love) and claimed to be tolerant of differing opinions.
The other super power, a totalitarian regime, prohibited religion (all of them).

Guess which of the two super powers did a very naughty thing (sin?).

Out of the 2 superpowers (postWW2) the USSR was much much worse. Stalin's rein saw estimates as high as 60 million of people within his borders being killed or deported to Siberia for religious, ethnic and political reasons.

People's consciousness comes programmed with instincts which tend to drive emotions, and these compete with logic in all decision making. Social logic is complex and includes the added burden of each person not fully knowing each persons own motivations and intentions, so emotions are a useful shared component of communication which can transcend logical constructs. Unfortunatly instincts (and thus most emotions) are inheritly selfish and so, without conscious intention we found society would struggle to progress. The benefit religion provided to early humanity was it became accepted widely as a conscious, intentional but also emotional logic. It seemed to connect the subconsciously seated instinct based emotions with humanities logical desire. The nature of its belief required such effort that it became a presence in the persons mind that overrode the persistant emotional instincts.

The problem is humanity seemingly is not born with instinctual morality, but instead morality is a logical construct sharing the same general place as religion in between conscious and subconscious spaces. Religion was, and probably is, the only institution to actually teach morality and in some cases even associated punishment to enforce its application. If society taught morality in its schools in a non-religious context then religion might have less of a place in society, but until it does society runs the risk of sliding downhill whenever religion starts to become sidelined. Listening to Campbell's myth lectures he points out that very same thing happens when a society looses a relevant myth. So while the myth speaks more to a persons individuals desire for self awareness and self expression, it might be that religions provide a necessary social construct for morality. So the author finds himself trying to wrestle with what is belief, well belief is about trust, specifically the personal experience of trusting and the opportunity to be trusted, and.... trust is central to morality.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Adder.

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 7 months ago #42361 by ren

Stalin's rein saw estimates as high as 60 million of people within his borders being killed or deported to Siberia for religious, ethnic and political reasons.

This is standard behaviour for a totalitarian regime. The numbers are high, but considering russia (and the USSR even more so) is by far the largest country in the world, they are not surprising. What I mean is that it's always the religious who come up with cunning new ways of getting things their way... And strangely enough, the moral values that supposedly make religions so important to life do not prevent atrocities, and in fact have on a great many occasions given further incentives to commit said atrocities.

So no. Even the worst bastard to have ever lived did not manage to copy religion at its dogmatic worst. I mean, the guy tried. get rid opf the competition, create cult of personality. But even so he failed to make that extra mile that is so characteristic of "religion gone wrong".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42363 by

ren wrote: considering russia (and the USSR even more so) is by far the largest country in the world

Largest by population or area?

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 7 months ago #42367 by ren
Well not by population obviously. Can't forget about china and india. They go at it like rabbits.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42730 by
no, and it's a fact

More
12 years 7 months ago #42731 by Adder
There are things science doesnt understand which religion tries to contextualize, but overall we are physical creatures in a physical incarnation and science deals with that physical world, whilst religion deals with that outside the scope of science, namely the metaphysical - so I agree that science should tell us more that we can understand then religion can, but I cannott comment on if its as valuable.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42809 by
I think atheists have a bigger problem with the rigidity and exclusivity of religions (I'll explain) more so than the actual religions themselves. I know personally this was what I disliked about them before finding Jediism and beginning to follow this.

When I say exclusivity, I mean the denial of other peoples thoughts, ideas, and ways of life. While this is not true of all religions, in the dominant religion of my country (USA) Christianity is seen as being very closed off and non inclusive. They do not accept other religions as being valid, only their own, they do not see other lifestyles as being valid (homosexuality, etc). I mean I can guarantee you that many many Christians would simply laugh off Jediism as a joke and "stupid" while of course I don't think very many of us would do the same. If I am coming off as having a beef with Christians in this country, it's because I do. I don't mind Christianity as a religion and a philosophy but I do have a problem with a lot of the Christians in this country. I think the majority are fine good people, but there are a lot that are close minded, rude, and mean, and use their beliefs to fuel hate and intolerant messages.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #42821 by Adder
Yes Coryduran I have seen on TV some scary closed minded people in religions, too many... but also a few atheists too. Atheism as a movement is much younger and less institionalized so at least it can shape its destiny more easily then thousand your old religions. Whatever the reason, close minded and opinionated people are suffocating to themselves and those around them.

I do understand how some religions close themselves off to other beliefs though. Specific rituals might acheive specific goals since we really dont know the details of how metaphysicality works. So they might believe that adherance to a set path is the safest way to ensure success in that belief. To me that seems harmless and even logical for metaphysical pursuits.... so long as they do not 'require' you to join!!! That is another problem of some religions is they seem intent on forcing people to join their religions. Families might be a little bit different to some extent as parents do have a responsibility to raise their children in a way they think is best, but as children grow I think its best they be allowed to discover their own position on the metaphysical or religious pursuit of self empowerment.

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi