lightsaber - hilt question

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 1 day ago #29940 by RyuJin
i have a 4d maglite....the only ones bigger are the 6d that police use....but even a 4d is pretty nasty to be hit with....

even the tiniest of pebbles can be lethal in the right hands. that was a lesson i learned while studying ninjutsu....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 day ago #29947 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:lightsaber - hilt question
what's the right model for the graflex flash tube?, someone knows?

@Kana Seiko Haruki i perform several serches about lightsaber, or hilt... do it yourself, you can spend 6 hours reading, and there is only 2 pics, and not much info...

this is why i create the post.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 1 day ago #29957 by RyuJin
you can use any flash gun, it doesn't have to be a graflex. however if you're intending to make a movie replica from the original trilogy there is a specific graflex model that is needed. some of the earliest hilts i made were from flashguns, i made 4 different graflex based ones and 4 from another flashgun manufacturer.

really all a hilt is, is a hollow tube about 1.5inches in diameter, about 10-12 inches long but can be up to 20inches depending on the type of saber your making. the electronics can be found on various saber sites or you can take a trip to radio shack and find them...or cannibalize them from toy lightsabers,led flashlights etc...it can be as basic or as ornate as you want...it should reflect something about you personally...

we have one member that machined his own hilt using a brake lathe at an autoshop. the only limitation on designing/making one is whatever you want.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 day ago #29958 by
Replied by on topic Re:lightsaber - hilt question
You can use anything from a sink tube to a Graflex replica (since the originals are hard to find) to a maglight to a Master Replica.

Lightsabers are something that are all different and what one person wants another may not. Most like Luxeon LED's or simmilar. Some swear by the Led strip in the Standard Force FX or simmilar strip LED set up. Some love EL blades. It's all very personal I think. I have a vast collection of sabers and it grows all the time. Some I've bought as force FX and modified to luxeon, some I've left with the LED strip, some I've made, some I've had made. etc.

As suggested try the custom saber shop forum and it will give you a really good education as to what are the differences

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/

If you decide to buy a Force FX try e-bay.
MTFBWY

More
14 years 1 day ago #29959 by 666
yep, looks like I'm gonna go first for a Force FX standard, just need to know,if there is any difference between hasbro ones, and master replica...

for my own hilt, I don't need parts and pieces, i can made it myself ...

then eventually, i like to have another lightsaber , but I'm gonna try to look for, best metal hilt, ( possible custom made) with sound, best light effect

and this is where my search start, looking for the best light, then sound, then hilt, then make it happen,

any input is appreciated.

also looking for a Graflex 3 cell hard to find, nice recommendation by Br. John

thank you to all of you guys...
also more than one looks like have more than 1 lightsaber, can this people upload pictures to the gallery, because in post, i didn't find

thank you

almost ready

Knight of Jediism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 1 day ago #29960 by
also ultrasabers does offer a few premade duel quality lightsabers...i have ordered from them and they are really nice blades, great lighting and can withstand a lot of abuse. http://www.ultrasabers.com/ is the link...feel free to check them out...i would also suggest http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/ for some ideas for hilts, as they have a number of templates as well as materials lists for you to go by to build your own to get an idea of how you want to make your own...i would suggest if this is your first time to try to go by one of these designs just to get a feel for it so you don't get frustrated in the future when creating your own masterpiece.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 12 hours ago #29970 by
666 wrote:

what's the right model for the graflex flash tube?, someone knows?

@Kana Seiko Haruki i perform several serches about lightsaber, or hilt... do it yourself, you can spend 6 hours reading, and there is only 2 pics, and not much info...

this is why i create the post.

Looks like your having humble pie for tea :p

http://templeofthejediorder.org/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,27945/catid,53/limit,6/limitstart,0/

20page + thread. I suspect you didnt try different search terms, thinks such as luxeon, hilt, saber, ceremonial hilt, lightsaber etc etc.

anyway - now ive more time to respond - i'll go back to the original question and answer as best as can - but these are only me experiences.

For the record - I cannot and will not promote the idea of a hilt as a weapon but as said - anything inthe right hands can become a weapon. Most people dont realise that with the right technique, you can inflict as damage using a credit/plastic card as you can with a razor.

what about the hasbro ones?

the master replicas?

laser?

leds?

with sound / without?

original licensed from the movie?

what about price and usability?

can you guys have custom made hilts?

can someone post pics of your hilts?

Hasbro = Force FX? if so - well, the hilts are nice but the blade is fixed permannetly - the leds run the length of the tube (inside) and are not designed for duelling etc - they are fragile. You can however repair them (but as these things are about £40 now, may as well buy a new saber) or youn can scout around online and look for conversion kits which will replace the tube and led strip with a polycarbonate tube and luxeon led whilst keeping the sound and if your careful, a nice hilt as well, just use a thumb screw instead of the grub screw to make the blade removeable.

Sound - well - the force fx is ok - its good for parties but a little cheap n nasty. Ive just ordered a crystal focus card (and hilt) but the whole thing will cost £500 when done (picture of this hilt to follow - its nearly ready for pickup now ;) )

Master replicas - well, i dont have noe and not seen one in person but i know they have a good solid reputation, but like anything in life, you want the best, you pay the large summs of cash to get it.

As for laser - forget it - the legalities are always changing and youd be gutted iof you spent (say) $200 on a laser unit ot find its now illegal.

LEDs - you have a wide choice - but most folk luxeons 3 are an excellent compromise between brightness and battery life. Again, this is discussed in length in the above link but one small hint - you can have the best led money can buy - but if your blade tube is poop - the effect will be poop. Another factor is getting the correct focusing lens that mounts atop the led - you may need to do a bit of experimenting to get what you like.

Polycarbonate tubes are best, they are stronger and safer than most other material, 10mm will be fine for moderate duelling 12mm for rough stuff - but if the hilt is entirely for ceremonial use, then the tube is a side issue.

Mde personally, i klike my hilts to be strong enough in reality for a proper fight - that way, they dont look too fragile and delicat - thus unrealistic - otherwise they look like glass katana.

Not sure what yopu mean about liscened movie version, if you mean what i think you mean - buy one by all means - but keep it under lock n key.

Graflex flash guns are hard to comeby (in the UK anyway) in fact, its like trying to find rocking horse manure :D BUT some smart folks are now making exact graflex copies which is a good compromise. The USA is easier to find these originals but you should still expect to pay a good sum of money for one.

Price depends pn what you want - you could spend a few £'s or $'s or hundres or thousands - depends on what you want. Making your own is rewarding and need not cost the earth - try a google search for the big yellow box for ideas, they even give you a shopping list and instructions to get you started.

I would strongly suggest making non electronic ones first - the electronics are not hard but all those extra drillings for switches, rechargers etc etc etc makes a big difference in terms of forward planning and design - as well as cost - and one mistake with a drill could ruin your lovely hilt.

There are plenty of sabersmiths around - but again, youll have to pay a fair amount for one - although some of mine came from JQSabers (in wales - do a google for their site) thye also sell diy kuts to make basic dualling sabers ;) as well as force fx conversion kits.

Here are some pics of my hilts etc....

My new hilt (mid construction) - the £500 one

One I got off ebay (another source to consider)

The keyring option :D

My converted Force FX Luke saber

One I built for Alix Yell (a member here)

My home built katana enspired hilt

Various others ive built (7 of these with slight variations, some for other people)

My custom built dual bladed saber (JQ Sabers) - My design

My 1st Custom built saber from JQ (note the emitters match ;) )

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 hours ago #29973 by
Having perused thecustomsabershop.com, I've got my design. Now I just need a spare $200..... :)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 4 hours ago #29974 by RyuJin
the fun begins :laugh:

i can't post my saber pics here because they were taken with an HD camera and thus the file size is too big...of course i may be able to do some editing of them at some point...it just takes time.

Quotes:

More
13 years 11 months ago #29980 by 666
thx for all the replays, now i have a better idea

thank you

Knight of Jediism

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi