lightsaber - hilt question

More
13 years 11 months ago #29917 by 666
Hi evryone, me again

I have a question, in the past, I always run away from the idea to have a lightsaber, because when you start talking about the force with something, immediately the person mind goes to star wars , and if also you have a lightsaber, you become another fan, trying to fanatize others..

and the force was always important to me, more than a movie, the movie just show part of what I really feel

But maybe now is time...

So aclaration and some questions.

I'm going to build my own Hilt (no electronics, no blade)

But also I like to ask, because, almost sure, someone here has experience and more than one lightsaber

if i like to buy one , or 2 who knows, what the market offer?, witch one is the best, and why,
what about the hasbro ones?
the master replicas?
laser?
leds?
with sound / without?
original licensed from the movie?
what about price and usability?

can you guys have custom made hilts?
can someone post pics of your hilts?

Thank you for sharing some of your experiences, and knowledge.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #29923 by
Replied by on topic Re:lightsaber - hilt question
I can't speak for everyone else, but I have plans for a forge which is going to make metal blades, with a hilt that contains electronics. No licensing issues, and it can be both cool AND practical.

It even talks about how ancient Jedi started with metal blades in:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

So, since we don't have the technology for a force-contained plasma blade, why not adopt this at a practical level? If we use the blades ceremonially, they don't have to be sharpened weapons to begin with, and we can still reap the benefits.

People want a lightsaber... why not a Saber of Light? Using newer, super-bright LED's, we can channel light in any direction along the blade using fiber-optic lighting. The color of the LED can be any color that LED's are made in (typically, red, yellow, green, and blue).

However, the cost of building one is up into the low 4-digit range, price-wise.

More
13 years 11 months ago #29924 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:lightsaber - hilt question
metal blades with nice hilt and electronics, sounds good, just my question is, we are talking about a sword blade, or a metal stick as blade (what make more sense to me)

and if is going to be for training why metal? fiber, plexiglass, wood, are better option
actually a shinai is an excellent option to do training.

for metal blades, my chose is a samurai sword or wakizashi (I like smaller than the long samurai for todays days)

Knight of Jediism

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 11 months ago #29926 by RyuJin
there's many routes you can take in the construction of a lightsaber hilt. they have premade ones that are semi custom you can buy at ultrasabers.com or you can go to thecustomsabershop.com and select the pieces you want and see an assembled version before you decide to buy.

if you buy one you can get various lengths for the blades, as well as different grades of durability. the best are the polycarbonate blades because they are made of the same material as bullet proof glass and are nearly impossible to shatter so they work well for training, dueling or what not.

the cost of buying one vs the cost of making one varies depending on how you go about it. i've made several myself, some costing as little as $10 some as much as $50. i've also bought a custom made one and paid close to $300.

whether it lights up and has sound or not is totally up to you. neither is required....

i'm designing a new one that incorporates the typical electronics and light up blade(removable), but also contains an autobaton making it practical for defense use. by having the electronics i can use the l.e.d. light as a flashlight, and flip it over for the autobaton.

as to pictures there's already a thread here somewhere that shows lots of our sabers..

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
13 years 11 months ago #29927 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re:lightsaber - hilt question
the hilt, I'm going to make it myself, not with pre builded parts, from scratch, with I don't know yet, aluminum, bronze , or I don't know, but not from pre-made parts.

the other one, a full one, polycarbonate blades are the way, looks like, but actually I'm not going to use it, is more for display, to use it, like i say, a shinai a boken or a real sword, witch I have all

so the idea, is, the hilt, made by myself, is gonna take some time,

but... i like to have a lightsaber... and I'm looking for a good looking one, with sound, nice light, and maybe someone can point me

Knight of Jediism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #29928 by
Hi 666, you should check out the Custom Saber Shop.

More
13 years 11 months ago #29929 by Br. John
My personal notion is the Real Lightsaber that is also a working defensive device. It would have a dazzler laser that temporarily blinded and disoriented an attacker - human or animal - without causing any permanent damage. For now I have a modified FX with a Luxeon LED and removable blade. I have an untouched Graflax flash tube just like the original Episode IV Luke Skywalker one.

Depending on the style it could also be used like a baton and could have a stun gun built in. In Texas as long there is also an ordinary flashlight mode - which is handy anyway - this device is legal to carry.

A 6 D cell Maglight Flashlight can beat the poo out of someone but it's legal whereas a baton of the same size is not.

Of course a Jedi would only use this for defense and never for attack.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #29930 by
there are several threads about hilts on this site so try using the search bar in our site (above right corner)

most of your original questions are covered - sorry to be blunt but this is jsut A flying visit.

I have a few hilts, some ive made from kits, one (now modified) force fx and a few ive had custom built

do the search then psot fresh questions, there is one long thread with alot of pictures of folks hilts ;)

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 11 months ago #29932 by RyuJin
the blinding light, that's why i thought of combining a working hilt(w/removable blade)with an autobaton, those luxeon3 led's are pretty blinding, but not permenant. at first glance it would look like a normal hilt, which could double as a bright led flashlight. fortunately autobatons are legal in florida (for now)

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 years 11 months ago #29939 by
Br.John, the AA-cell Maglite is a more deadly weapon, just for the record. Was proved in a court case in New York State (IIRC, I don't have the reference). Larger than a 2-C-cell flashlight in NY State was illegal for a long time (can't remember if they repealed that or not).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi