what makes a \"master\" a \"master\"?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #29198 by
So in response to Baru - does this mean all masters are or ought to be teachers ? or indeed, the flip - all teachers considered 'masters' ?

Sometimes - there are folk who just dont want to listen or to learn - I believe this is one palce a clear separation between a techer and a master kis seen. A teacher in such cases, will for the most oart be redundant - pointless.

A Master (at least i theory should) can teach without uttering a word

I know thats an old take - but it happens to be very true

Think back to school - which teachers where the most popular - the loud shouters who were little stalins or the ones who remained calm?

MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 2 months ago #29200 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:what makes a
Kana Seiko Haruki wrote:

A Master (at least i theory should) can teach without uttering a word

I know thats an old take - but it happens to be very true

Think back to school - which teachers where the most popular - the loud shouters who were little stalins or the ones who remained calm?

MTFBWY - A

it's alot like mr. miyagi, teaching without teaching. through mundane activity he was actually teaching the technique and giving physical repetition without daniel knowing that he was being taught...or like the old zen masters using koens to teach lessons without teaching a lesson.

when i was in school usually the most popular teachers were the ones that made games out of learning activities...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #29201 by
Replied by on topic Re:what makes a
In my case, talking about my jedi master, first of all we are friends, we have equal contribution to the process of training: he gives me assignments, i complete them and discuss anything with him. I learn from him and he learns from me. There is no such word like \"absolute master\" and no master here can claim he/she is the smartest person on the Earth.

In my opinion a jedi master has the role of a menthor, more like a guide on the path of a jedi. There is always a connection between master and apprentice and I believe this happens everywhere where human interaction is the base of a training.

A master is not only a teacher and is not only a student. Is not a superior being but someone who worked hard to reach to a higher level of education and self-control.

A true master is that person who remains calm in the middle of the storm, who remains objective and is an example for others. But deep inside that person is a normal human being. The rank of the Master only gives more responsibilities and more commitements.

In my opinion, the ranks we have here at the Temple, have a more traditional significance. You cannot call yourself a master after you trained few ppls and learned all you could in this short period of time. There are more aspects of the life of a Jedi which are not included here, but what I like about this site is that I can always add new things and no one will stop me from going in one direction or another.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
14 years 2 months ago #29240 by Jestor
“A man who is master of himself can end a sorrow as easily as he can invent a pleasure. I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”
Oscar Wilde (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

“A man has to learn that he cannot command things, but that he can command himself; that he cannot coerce the wills of others, but that he can mold and master his own will: and things serve him who serves Truth; people seek guidance of him who is master of himself.”
James Allen (New Zealander Statesman. Minister of defense (1912-20), 1855-1942)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi