what makes a \"master\" a \"master\"?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #28929 by
Completely fair.

My perspective is that I'm a chronic learner. I'm curious about most everything, so if I'm going to be so fractious with everything that could possibly catch my attention, I may as well pursue the paper that can come with it.

Sometimes there's a usable result. Sometimes there isn't anything material, but the challenges to the thinking process makes me a better person at the end.

The key is not allowing your paradigm to be affected by the chaff that cuts corners. One way or the other, regardless of them you're no worse for having the credential and as people gain more and more of them unfairly you'll remain competitive and be better for the effort.

Just don't cut corners. Simple really.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #28930 by Br. John
We do recognize prior education and experience. Our (TOTJO's) special needs are for people who can stick it out and are dedicated to this cause through thick and thin. We totally understand family problems, financial problems etc - but if there is nobody around to run the show it won't go on.

Add to the equation on becoming a Bishop / Master that thought. There are a few here who despite horrific medical conditions, grave illness of close family members and even deaths still show up and do what they can year after year.

It's difficult enough to get to know folks face to face so with this being online it takes even more. Time will tell. In no way am I putting down anyone or tooting my own horn.

I am stating blatant and obvious (though often overlooked) cold hard facts.

Founder of The Order

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 2 months ago #28935 by RyuJin
learning is fun....i often take things apart just to learn how they work then i try to put them back together :laugh:

ordination is one of my goals here, i just recently received my ordination in spiritual humanism....the ordination is not being done for the papers but for myself, the papers just happen to come with it :)

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #28937 by
For me, some of what I want to accomplish just isn't possible without the credentials. I don't need 30 degrees, a million certifications, and to show off my 900th-degree black belt in Giamata-Do (the way of running away very quickly). But having one piece of paper that shows I've at least jumped through the hoops necessary to know what I'm actually talking about can open doors.

These are the doors which close in my face when I try to help people without them.

That's my reason for wanting any kind of certification. Other than that requirement, I've never had to worry about it. I've *almost* reached 4 college degrees (and never had a single one to begin with), and I've passed several technology cert tests without ever taking classes. I'm what they call an \"autodidact,\" meaning I learn very quickly on my own, usually better than teachers teach, for subjects that can be taught through books.

However, I consider Jedi Mastery (along with Zen mastery) something that comes from the experience of learning, and not from the information itself. I've learned more about myself in the past 6 weeks than I did during the entire previous year of self-study. It's not that my Master has a \"golden bullet\" to teach with, but rather that his lessons are tailored to my particular issues and needs.

And at the end of it all, if I can get a certificate which allows me to show an official state board that I've gone through some training so that I can help people out, then by all means I think that's what I'm looking for.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #28941 by
I wrote this sometime back - and its been posted a few times in here or blogs (and your welcome to check up on me if you dont believe it) - whilst it may not 'answer' generally what is a master - it at least gives my view of what a Jedi Mster is.

Who or What is a ‘Master’

As far as I know it is someone who orders a slave around and puts them in chains with riding crops and ball gags and makes lick thei....oh you mean what is a ‘Jedi’ master right.... (sorry, that was Cygnus’s work :p )

Ok, so what is a Jedi Master or whom is (s)he? Well, for me it is perhaps in some respects, easier to say what I feel this person is not or at least, should not be.

They should not be mini-dictators, strutting about, heads swollen, chests puffed out with a placard ‘look at me’. They are not the ones stood on a stage shouting the odds, barking orders. They are not suppressors of rebellion, they are not a police force, they are not the secret police of a dictatorship, they are not therapists, they are not the wizard of oz who will fix all the cares in the world in the flick of a sabre switch. They are not referee in other peoples fights, they are not judge jury and executioner.

They are human. They are humans who have been given a title or a name by others. They have been given the honour of receiving the trust of their peers, to hold this title. The ‘Master’ title is something often coverted by others but why? Is it some miraculous superpower that upon reception, grants the bearing unlimited power? Like some kind of warhammer, to be brought down on others with full force? A weapon? A Tool? A Licence? A certificate that reads ‘I can do as I please and Im answerable to none’? No it isn’t.

So what is a ‘Master Knight Of Jediism’ well, again, these people are human. Like every human that has and has yet to walk the surface of this planet, a creature with many faults and flaws and as such can make mistakes. Likewise, believe it or not, a Master has thoughts, feelings, emotions, wants and needs. So in that case, what make a master so damn special or different then?

A Master is someone who embodies what it means to be a Jedi, they are a Jedi Initiate, they are a Jedi Apprentice, they are a Jedi Knight. ‘What the f…’. A Master does not lose their desire to learn upon attaining the rank, far from it, this is truly where the learning starts and this is where we remain as initiates and apprentices. We are still Jedi Knights, we still hold the code and creed and teachings at the core of everything we do, every heartbeat is an instantaneous repetition of our oath, every breath a repetition of the teaching. A Jedi Knight is a beacon a part of the fires of life itself, we are the brightest embers that shoot off into the sky to illuminate the darkness. Our life may be a short spark, but we are the brightest and there were many before us and many more to follow. The brightness is not an indicator of wealth, intellect or any measurable human thing, it is our faith in the force.

All people, are a part of this fire.

So what is it that makes a Master different from everyone else… nothing but a name. A master is simply one who is acknowledged by his or her peers as being the living embodiment of the following

There is no Emotion; There is Peace.

There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge.

There is no Passion; There is Serenity.

There is no Chaos: There is Harmony.

There is no Death; There is the Force.

Focus

Knowledge

Wisdom

I believe in The Living Force Of Creation:

I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace;

Where there is hatred I shall bring love;

Where there is injury, pardon;

Where there is doubt, faith;

Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light;

And where there is sadness, joy.

I am a Jedi.

I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console;

To be understood as to understand;

To be loved as to love;

For it is in giving that we receive;

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;

And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

The Force is always with me, for I am a Jedi.

A master is no better than anyone else. They are not demi-gods. A master however does have responsibilities, to themselves, to those around them, to the order. Similarly do all ‘ranks’. Like with all positions of ‘power’ there come the responsibilities. Sometimes, there are those who feel that ‘power’ is something they must have; they must use the power as a means to an end, and therefore seek the title like it is a trophy. So what then for these people who attain the rank? What then do they seek? What more is there for them to seek? Does their existence suddenly become meaning less having attained the goal?

A master only seeks to further themselves, and to guide others in doing the same, a master is like a snake, they will happily shed the skin (or the label) in order to grow, they will not look back at the old skin with regrets or feelings of loss and neither will they gloat in the reflection of the new shiny fresh ‘skin’.

We are all vessels of the force, we are all ‘luminous beings, not this crude matter’ temporary beings, short sparks, floating embers of a bigger fire.

So what are masters? Who are masters? What does a master look like? Look in a mirror, you will see a master, when one realises this, and behaves as such without conscious effort then one may be named a master by their peers, the last person to see this is often the master themselves.

So please remember, whoever you are and whoever you are talking to too, we are all equal, and we equally all make mistakes but a master is more aware and accepting of this fact, not just of others, but especially of themselves.

Treat a title as a possession and you will surely roll towards the darkside, a title is as permanent as life itself, we all know we all have a common ultimate fate as a living creature, treat a title like gold, spread the wealth and benefit others and don't make it something to be coveted as like gold, it can be tarnished, and at the end of the day (or our lives) we can’t take it with us.

Respect is not one way traffic, it flows in all directions, and to blatantly steal an adage, give and ye shall receiver. Everyone is a Master, please treat them as such, whoever they are.

Your Humble Servant and Brother In The Force

Kana-Seiko Haruki – Jedi

MTFBWY - A

The following quotes from Hagakure also ring true (for me anyway) on the subject of 'Masters'

from Hagakure chpt 1 - p31

there are many people who, by being attached to a martial art and taking apprentices, believe they have arrived at the full stature of a warrior. But it is a regrettable thing to put forth much effort and in the end become an ''artist''. In artistic technique - it is good to learn to the extent that you will not be lacking. In general, a person who is versatile in many things is considered to be vulgar and to have only a broad knowledge of matters of importance

Page 26 of Hagakure

A certain swordsman in his declining years said the following:

In one’s life. there are levels in the pursuit of study. In the lowest level, a person studies but nothing comes of it, and he feels that both he and others are unskilled. At this point he is worthless. In the middle level he is still useless but is aware of his own insufficiencies and can also see the insufficiencies of others.

In a higher level he has pride concerning his own ability, rejoices in praise from others, and laments the lack of ability in his fellows. This man has worth. In the highest level a man has the look of knowing nothing.

These are the levels in general;. But there is one transcending level, and this is the most excellent of all. This person is aware of the endlessness of entering deeply into a certain 'Way' ; arid, never thinks of himself as having finished. He truly knows his own insufficiencies and never in his whole life thinks that he has succeeded. He has no thoughts of pride but with self-abasement knows the Way to the end.

It is said that Master Yagyu once remarked, “I do not know the way to defeat others,
but the way to defeat myself.”

Throughout your life advance daily, becoming more skilful than yesterday, more skilful than today. This is never-ending.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 2 months ago #28943 by RyuJin
i remember reading that post way back when i first joined, though i think the hagakure quotes weren't added at that time...very relevent though...i still have to finish reading that...only got a few chapters left to finish

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #28995 by
to further this, i do feel that there are two types of masters.

internal and external.

internal masters are masters of their inner circle, class, room, or dojo. if they are in charge, they are master.

external masters are recognized by their external community.

and then their are artist. people who simple do with out approval of their peers.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #29041 by
my favorite definition is:
\"A master is someone who can't tell you the way but has been there\"
-unknown

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 2 months ago #29195 by
interesting.

i believe part of mastery is knowing how to teach something as well as be/do the thing. also a master should know the \"things\" history.

simply knowing how to do it is application. master is knowing how to teach others.

More
14 years 2 months ago #29196 by Br. John
Yes it's about teaching others how to learn and how to see beyond the many illusions. And in the case of TOTJO it's also about being here and keeping the place going. I wish I had the power to just make a wish and make someone a master - a knight for that matter - we need them.

For the few - the very few - that make it it's worth it.

Founder of The Order

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi