New Member Training Manual

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23814 by
Replied by on topic Re:New Member Training Manual
ive sticky'd the thread so its easy to find (and kept alive)

Thanks for the hard work - i will have a read of it later - remember - if there is anyway you think I can help - just slip me a $50 I mean ask ;)

MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23817 by
It is printing now as I type this :)

Can't wait to add it to my TOTJO binder :)

More
14 years 10 months ago #23818 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:New Member Training Manual
Nice work Owen, New members will certainly benifit from having this info all in one document. B)

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 10 months ago #23819 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:New Member Training Manual
Well structured, informative and as has already been pointed out very manageable in printed form. Maybe an index wouldn`t go a miss, for those looking for something in particular.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23943 by
It may be late in the game to remark on this, but I don't really care for the Francis of Assisi prayer as part of a Jedi code.

The first part isn't bad, but the part about being pardoned and eternal life, well, that's a bit too Christian-flavored for me. I know, redemption is a universal thing, but the emphasis on it (and on the afterlife) is not a universal thing.

That prayer, the Jedi code, and the lightsaber meditation are all borrowed from somewhere. That's a safe, passive thing to do, but IMO it makes the creed seem weak. Couldn't we come up with something a little more creative?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23945 by
99% of 'christian' traditions are borrowed (stolen) from other faiths

I understand fully what your saying though.

MTFBWY - A

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #23948 by Br. John
Couldn't we come up with something a little more creative?

You're welcome to try. Like many things the Creed is open to interpritation. It's got a 99.997% approval rating so far but if somebody comes up with something better we'd never stand in the way of progress.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by Br. John.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #23950 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:New Member Training Manual
I personally don`t see the problem with it. It is universal in its morality in nature and we do believe we become at one with the Force after death. Also if we change it because of the eternal life we also have to change the 16 teachings for example:

\"12. Jedi believe in eternal life. We do not become obsessed in mourning those who pass. Grieve as you will but take heart, for the soul and spirit continue in the netherworld of the Living Force.\"

Then you will have to replace it because if you don`t then our emblem would not be right.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by Jon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23952 by
One could argue its a core part of jediism (at lest of the doctrine of THIS temple) - thus essentially - if you cant/wont accept it - you may as well forfwet 9at least in this temple) jediism.

TOTJF use it - Praxeum do - im sure most of the jedi sites do as well.

Its like becoming a christian ans saying you dont agree with the hailk mary or our father or something.

Anyway - as said - your most welcome to have a crack at writing a new one.

MTFBWY - A

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25269 by
The manual has been out for a little over a month now. I'm curious if any issues have been fount with it. I'd also be interested if any material is not in it that would be good to add to it. If anyone has any thought, feel free to send them my way.

MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi