New Member Training Manual

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23323 by
I've picked up the task of making up an inroductory manual for new members. After some though this is the draft layout I am going to start with. This should end up being a manual that we start with, then revise as needed to keep improving it. Keep in mind that at first it will be less than perfect, but still of great value to those just starting out and wondering what to do.

That being said here is my initial plan

Outline for new members

Section 1

This will have introductory information; Who we are, what out temple is about and such things. No big details, but a couple paragraphs to introduce some basics.

Section 2

Introduce our code a creed so people know where we stand. I’ll also cover the oath and the considerations on whether to take it now or wait.

Section 3

This is the getting started section. I’ll walk people through setting up their training journal and tell them about their introductory lessons and the steps to take before being considered for apprenticeship.

Section 4

Here I will spell out the lessons and some thoughts about what they should write in their journal.

Section 5

Here I will give them some information about what comes next.

Resources

This will talk about some other aspects of the site, chat, profiles and how to set them up, the forum...etc.

Now that it's on the table, feel free to comment. Not every comment will be implimented, but every one is read, valued and considered.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23441 by
Replied by on topic Re:New Member Training Manual
I borrowed much from the pages that already have the information, but here is the draft for Sections 1 and 2

Temple of The Jedi Order
New Member Guide

This is a guide to get you started. It by no means covers every aspect of life at the temple, but it should help you get your footing and smooth out your start at the temple. Keep in mind there is no time limit, read the forums, and asking questions is a good thing.

SECTION 1 – Introduction to the Temple of The Jedi Order

The Temple of The Jedi Order is a primarily web based community that share and pursue a belief if Jediism. We are not fictional Jedi from the wonderful Star Wars movies, neither are we role playing; we are the Real Jedi Religion and asserting our right to practice said religion. Jediism is not the same as that which is portrayed within the Star Wars Saga by George Lucas and Lucasfilm LTD. George Lucas' Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe.
To support the practice of Jediism, Br. John on December 25, 2005 had The Temple of The Jedi Order chartered as a Texas non-profit religious and educational corporation and donations to us are US income tax deductible as we are an international online church and interfaith initiative in the process of building local communities. We are tax exempt under the provisions of 501(c)3[po].
Jediism is not exclusive is its practice. Jedi may also belong to any Church or no other Church as long as s/he takes a true oath to follow our Creed and Code which is published here for all to see. This oath should not be taken lightly and until you fully believe you are ready to commit to such an oath, you are still welcome to register and participate as a guest and begin training to find out if it is actually for you.
In the recognition of diversity The Temple of The Jedi Order is divided into five Rites, each of which tailor themselves broadly to support Jedi that are singularly Jedi, or include Jediism in their other faiths. They are mentioned here as an introduction, but far more information is available to help you find your place.
1. The Jedi (ism) Rite (aka Pure Land Rite)
2. The Judæo-Christian-Abrahamic Jedi (ism) Rite
3. The Buddhist Jedi (ism) Rite
4. The Pagan Jedi (ism) Rite
5. The Spiritual Humanist Rite
This is by no means everything there is to know, but it is a brief introduction to get you acquainted. Read on to know more.

SECTION 2 – Our beliefs and our Creed, Code and our Oath.

To understand anything about anybody you have to understand what they believe and where they stand in the world. While everyone has differences, many share core beliefs. These similarities are what bring us together as Jedi, even when many of use subscribe to other religions that may not get along themselves. To that end here are some basic tenants that The Temple of The Jedi Order hold to:
Before you start reading all this, keep this thought in mind. Don’t dwell on all of this over much at the moment. You will delve into the meaning as your trainings progress. Consider each item, and what they mean to you and if you agree with them. If you do then you are looking at the correct path. This is not the time for detailed reflection, that will come, for now make sure they match the path you have laid out for yourself.
Jedi Believe:
• In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human.
• In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, degree of ability, age, etc.
• In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1
• In the importance of democracy within religious, political and other structures.
• In the separation of church and state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 2
• That the systems of truth in the field of morals, ethics, and religious belief that we have studied are not absolute: they vary by culture, by religion, and over time.
• In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3
• In the importance of individual believers determining evil influences and policies within their chosen faith group, and advocate for their correction.
• In the importance of education. We believe that people are not truly educated unless they have studied at least the world's major religions and ethical systems. They need to learn of the good and bad impacts they have had on society. 4
Footnotes, mainly about exceptions:
1. However, like the rest of North American society, we have not been able to reach a consensus about when human life, in the form of a spermatozoon and an ovum, becomes a human person deserving civil rights.
2. However we have not been able to reach a consensus about the age at which an individual should fully enjoy these freedoms. We also recognize that some of these freedoms should have limits. For example, we do not feel that, in most cases, parents should be allowed to let their children die if medical treatment will assure a cure. We do not feel that individuals should be free to advocate genocide or yell \"fire\" in a crowded theatre.
3. Exceptions are a handful of destructive cults which have had an overall negative effect.
4. They need to understand the religious sources that inspired Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, and Mother Teresa to commit their life to the alleviation of human suffering. But they also need to learn the shadow side of religion: how religious beliefs have contributed to hatred, intolerance, oppression, discrimination, as well as mass murders and genocides in such places as Nazi Germany, Bosnia, East Timor, Kosovo, Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Sudan and countless other countries.

The Orthodox Jedi Code
1. There is no Emotion; There is Peace.
2. There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge.
3. There is no Passion; There is Serenity.
4. There is no Chaos: There is Harmony.
5. There is no Death; There is the Force.
Another way of seeing this is:
1. Emotion, yet peace.
2. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
3. Passion, yet serenity.
4. Chaos, yet harmony.
5. Death, yet the Force.

The Jedi Creed
1. I believe in The Living Force Of Creation:
2. I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace;
3. Where there is hatred I shall bring love;
4. Where there is injury, pardon;
5. Where there is doubt, faith;
6. Where there is despair, hope;
7. Where there is darkness, light;
8. And where there is sadness, joy.
9. I am a Jedi.
10. I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console
11. To be understood as to understand;
12. To be loved as to love;
13. For it is in giving that we receive;
14. It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
15. And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
16. The Force is always with me, for I am a Jedi.
Note: This is a direct adaptation from the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi
Three primary tenants of Jediism
• Focus
• Knowledge
• Wisdom

When used correctly, these allow us to better ourselves and overcome any obstacle, helping to improve the world around us and fulfill our purpose to Love, Learn and Be Kind.

THE JEDI OATH
An oath is a simple thing, often one paragraph or less. In our case it is a mere three sentences long. But keep in mind; it sets forth your commitment to the Jedi path. Many take it without really having the commitment in their heart and stray early from the Temple. We encourage all to know their hearts and take the oath when they are ready. All are welcome to begin their lessons, whether or not they have taken the oath. The oath is not required until after the introductory classes and before accepting the rank of apprentice.
The Oath
\"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, (state your legal name) born on (date of birth), without reservation, choose the Jedi path, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force and its will. I vow to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to henceforth devote myself to the life of a Jedi.\"
When ready you take the oath in written form in the forum at the following thread
• Jedi Forum link on the left side of the web page
• Records thread in the forum
• Take The Oath Here thread
• Click on REPLY TOPIC and Type or paste in the oath with the correct information for yourself inserted where required.
This is the public declaration of your oath so make sure it is what you want, what you believe and what you commit to.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23442 by
I would also love some feedback on what format this should take. SHould it be a Word Doc, PDF, or a webe page on the site?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23444 by
I feel pdf would be better for the training manual

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #23451 by
I think this is a great idea and about time too - with no disrespect (and I KNOW other longer standing members feel the same) the same old questions being asked gets annoying.

Anyway - I feel the easiest way to deal with this manual or at least distribut it is as follows

Make it pdf (easily done for free - do a web search for primo pdf - contact me if you need help with this great little tool)

Once it is pdf - when a new member signs up - the IO's email the new comer a copy of this file or at least supply a link to a host of the file (dropio or this site)

There could and should also be a link in BIG BOLD letters on the front page of totjo and a sticky'd link and or attached copy of the file in the newcomers and or initiates section of the forum - basically no excuses for not finding the information

If people cant be bothered to read it 0- then as harsh as this will sound - they obviously wont be bothered about training

If I can help in anyway with this - dont hesitate to ask

It sounds like alot of 'links' but actually - it would only need to be uploaded the once ;)

Forgot to say my reasoning for pdf is that its standard across all machines these days - I would think everyone has a pdf reader of sorts on their pc/mac etc - and they can print it off without any issue for a paper copy to read at their leisure - web format is ok - but a little unprofessional these days (and lazy) - doc etc isnt usually cross format compatible.

MTFBWY - A
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23474 by
SECTION 3 – Getting Started

This is the place where everyone jumps to when they come to the Temple. But contrary to the popularity of the question, the first thing that happens at The Temple of The Jedi Order is not the assigning of a Master. Before you are chosen by a Master you must complete a series of introductory lessons. These lessons are not what you may think of a Jedi training, but they do provide a lot a good background material to support later lessons. Additionally the discussions that come from these lessons let members of the Temple know more about you, how you think, and your personality as well as demonstrating your commitment to learning. All this allows a Master that shares similar ways of thinking to select you as a student and improves later training.

That being said, the first thing you need to start your lessons is a training journal. To start one do the following

• Scroll down and click on the Apprentice’s Forum thread
• Click on NEW THREAD
• In the Subject line enter “Your Name” Training Journal or similar
• In the message body just let people know you have started a journal and your thoughts of things so far.

This journal is where you will post you thoughts, learning’s, and any other training comments you have during your introductory classes and apprentice training. Very little of what we do at the Temple has a right or wrong answer. So be honest about your thoughts in your writing. The writing is what will lead a master to you when you complete the introductory lessons.

Next if you have not already done it, you should introduce yourself. There is a place in the forum to do just that.
• Click on the New Users Introduction Forum link
• Click on NEW THREAD
• In the Subject line enter “Your Name” Intro or some other greeting
• In the message body just let people know a little about yourself. What you want to say or not say is pretty much up to you. It is a public forum, so don’t tell anything that you do not want to be displayed.

Now you have a journal and are ready to start your training. Before we look into the lessons I’ll give you a little guidance on training at the temple. As I mentioned earlier, a Master will find you after your introductory lessons are completed. There is no time limit and rushing through them will actually make things slower in the end. Be patient, write in your journal often. Read and reply to topics in the forum. Join chats when you are in the mood to socialize. The main thing is to interact and become part of the community. A Master cannot learn about you and decide to train you if you make 4 entries in your journal and have not let us get to know you.

All this said, on to the next section and the lessons

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23477 by
This covers the balance of the first draft. Could use ideas for other small topics to go in the reference section of section 6 if there are other thoughts of things to go there.

SECTION 4 – Introductory Lessons

Here is where it is time for you to start your learning. These first lessons may not seem like material to help you become a Jedi, but they are, in more ways than you might think at this point. Go through them with an open mind and heart. Just as important, don’t rush through them, listen or read them more than once. Some go through them once and write their thoughts, then listen again a couple days later to see if their thoughts change after thinking on them. The main thing is that it is not a race, but a journey.

All of these lessons are linked on the Front Page of the Temple web site.

Lesson 1 – Myth

These are a series of Lectures by Joseph Campbell. Listen and discuss what you learned, thought or felt about each in your journal.

1 Episode 1 – The Hero’s Adventure
2 Episode 2 – The Message of Myth
3 Episode 3 – The First Story
4 Episode 4 – Sacrifice and Bliss
5 Episode 5 – Love and the Goddess
6 Episode 6 – Masks of Eternity
7 Bonus Lecture on Star Wars

Lesson 2 - The Book

This is a 100 or so page book titled THE BOOK – On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

This lesson is a bit more intellectual and controversial than Lesson 1, but it is great for helping you learn about yourself. There is no requirement to agree with everything either, some do and some don’t. We learn from everything in life, even when we disagree. Myself I did not care for the book the first time I read it, but more of it, not all of it, made impressions when read later.

Lesson 3 – Meditation

This is another Lecture, one of the most important. Listen and learn with this lesson. Meditation is a critical skill for a Jedi. This lesson is important background as meditation will be an important part of your later training.

Lesson 4 – The [Real] Force

This is another series of lectures on The Field. As with all the lectures, listen, think about them and comment in your journal

Optional Lesson

There is an optional reading titled God Wants You Dead. It is interesting reading that may be very controversial to some, but great reading none the less.

So now you may ask what next, since all of your lessons are completed and commented on in your training journal. Now it the time you let Br. John know that you are don with your introductory lessons. If he is satisfied with your training he will update you as a graduate of the Introductory Lessons.

SECTION 5 – What Comes Next

Not really a lot to say here. By the time you have spent the weeks completing your lessons you should have a good handle on the general going on around the Temple. But you likely are wondering about finding a Master to continue your training.

This is not a set process. Once you have graduated from the introductory courses, you are eligible to be an apprentice. Depending on how active you have been and are in forums and chat will determine how long it takes to be chosen by a master for training. Each person taking on a student tries to find a student with compatible views, mannerism, attitude and such. By doing that the teacher tries to find a student that has a good chance of learning from that teachers teaching style. This process takes some time and your interactions within the Temple provide the information needed to match you with a Master.

Once you are picked up by a Master, s/he will provide your training path and guide you from that point on. By this point you are no longer a new user and this guide has likely fallen out of use. I hope it was of some help to you in your early days here.

SECTION 6 – Other Helpful Information

This section is just a mix of useful things to help out.

CHAT

The Temple has its own chat program. The link is on the left had side, second item in the USER MENU section. It’s usually a ways down the screen and you may have to scroll down a bit. It will open a new window with the chat program in it. It also places an icon next to your username in the members list on the right hand side of the Temple home page. If you see the icon next to a user name it means they are in chat.

FORUM PROFILE & SIGNATURE

If you click on the Jedi Forum link on the left hand side of the page it brings up the Forum page. At the top, next to your name, is a link for My Profile. A lot of these details you can edit yourself. For your signature decide what you want it to say and message or catch online one of the following users
-Kana Seiko Haruki
-Br.John
-Karol Fett
-Sarus
-Daniel L.
-Garm
-Zanthan Storm
-Nayeldraccon
-Neaj Pa Bol

What Else????

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23482 by
Thank you Owen for putting the manual together. It will be handy for new mamber to have all of this information in one place. I had to piece all of this stuff together from different sources.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 11 months ago #23488 by
and should you decide to be apprenticed to a knight or master - youll have much more of that to do as well

We really would prefer people to use initiative and find the infor for themselves - but occasionally a push in the right direction (jump start) is needed

as said - this is probably going to be an ongoing project

also as said - its worth while re-checking the FAQ and other things occasionally as things to get revised and updated

MTFBWY -A

ps - keep up the good work and remember im usually lurking somewhere if you need a hand Owen ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 10 months ago #23793 by
First published version of the manual is completed. Keep comments suggestions and improvements in mind as we can improve on it over time.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

MTFBWY

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi