Jediism and drinking

More
4 years 1 week ago #351111 by Carlos.Martinez3
I drink coffee in the morning along with soda and a Cig or smoke some mornings. Some days a Red Bull and water is where I’m at too. I don’t fiend - some days I get caffeine headaches but that’s part of the use I guess. It is the Opinion - of this Pastor that a good balance is always a good thing, regardless of what. Too much is always too much. Some days I drink to much juice and it’s obvious- Then again - that can differ from 7.5 billion to 7.5 billion. Results may vary and WILL. Expect it.
Hope this helps .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 week ago #351114 by
Replied by on topic Jediism and drinking
Well said. I mostly drink gfuel for the caffiene and the vitamins in it. That and it takes really good for having no sugar or splenda in it.

More
4 years 1 week ago #351119 by Carlos.Martinez3
I gotta have my two pink packs for coffee - it’s rare now I don’t take anything - but I will - I’ve drank coffee from a pot and sock - everything from that day on is a good cup for me.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Kobos

More
4 years 1 week ago #351121 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Jediism and drinking
Eh, everyone pretends like their habits are within the totally reasonable bounds and will try and find post hoc rationalizations. Finding a good standard I'd think balances the interests of personal enjoyment with health and other lifestyle factors. Acting as though any one specific action (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, etc.) is necessarily and in itself good or bad seems a bit reductive

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Rosalyn J, Kobos

More
4 years 1 week ago #351122 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Jediism and drinking
There once was a sailor from Sydney
Who drank 'til he shriveled a kidney
He drank and he drank
And it shrank and it shrank
But he sure had fun doing it
Didn't he?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Kohadre, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
4 years 1 week ago #351124 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jediism and drinking
The search fun, a Jedi's friend is.

He does state that he personally doesn't drink because apparently people with aspergers have lower tolerance as a result.

That sounds anecdotal at best.

As far as it goes, and hey, if you want to use the search function to see how this question has been discussed before, go for it! - Taoism and Nietzsche both oppose alcohol use, and both inform my views - however I am by fits and turns a perennial user of the stuff.

As for caffeine, well....*sip*

Do I encourage drug use in others? No, not really.

Do I think the whole point of being human is to make your own damn decisions on your own ability to measure risk and benefit? Yes.

Do I think Jediism is (or should be) a tool to deny what it is to be human? Nope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Rosalyn J, Kohadre, Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

More
4 years 1 week ago #351125 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jediism and drinking
Alcohol / drinking, smoking / hard drugs, sweet treats, fast foods ,etc.

The sentiment from my study and understanding, is meant more as advisement to distance oneself from harmful temptation.

I personally craft / brew and consume various types of Alcohol, however I have a solid control on the amount of alcohol I consume and when I consume it. Where it concerns smoke however (tobacco / marijuana), I am more prone to overindulge; so there fore I no longer consume those types of products.

If you can exercise and maintain control, by all means enjoy an occasional beverage. If you can't control your consumption, or your behavior in the midst of whatever choice substance you've used - you should probably abstain.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Kobos, Rex

More
4 years 1 week ago #351132 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jediism and drinking
To be fair to the bloke, it's really tricky for a spiritual system to endorse and teach use of mind/boy altering substances.

And though avoidance for avoidance sake seems naive - in the absence of time enough or education enough to partake in something without appropriate awareness and understanding of its actions and effects..... then it might be a good temporary rule of thumb.

Even if he did think it had merit, it would surely take a whole volume of its own and be an advanced stage after much progress on other parts of self development (for a system to endorse it).

I prefer the approach of strictly avoiding social usage unless its the rarest of occasions, just because the dynamics of motive within groups can detach oneself from appropriate focus (situational awareness (inner and outer), dosage and symptom record keeping, substance quality control, subject matter knowledge recall) that seems required for 'use' of substances for spiritual development.

To me the most compelling reason is the only reason needed, health, and I think the only reason sugar and alcohol are rather disastrous to our health is just because its so prevalent and ingrained in our cultures that its use is way over the top, used as a superficial bandaid for woes (hunger, emotion, stress). Peoples inability to exert self control in diet, distraction and entertainment are probably the main reason the more powerful substances remain illegal! History shows that if a society is vulnerable to addictions (see the Opium Wars ) then it is prone to fall to them, either at their own hand or the hand of another. So I don't like the 'avoid' argument, but I understand its place, and how it impacts me and my actions to its topic. I think it will always be an individuals decision, and is not really something which should be promoted, or denied, at the level of the individual.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 week ago #351142 by
Replied by on topic Jediism and drinking
Short version of my opinion: controlled substance usage is ok (morally, since legal standpoints are a whole 'nother ballgame) within reasonable limits. What those limits are differ from person to person.

My justification is that I drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, drink caffeinated drinks, eat sugary food, etc. For all of these, I feel that I've found the limits at which I still have control over myself and my usage doesn't bother anyone else.

More
4 years 1 week ago #351149 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Jediism and drinking
Moderation is key.

My general rule of thumb, with substances is it screwing up the things/activities you like doing?

That's IMHO where a negative effect (besides biological) first develops as far as substances go. From there if not addressed for some it gets worse others not. I have my substance I avoid completely because of that tendency. Other things I'm fine.

So moderation and contemplation.

Much Love,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, ZealotX

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi