American Trash

More
4 years 3 months ago #347466 by ZealotX
American Trash was created by ZealotX
Is This the End of Recycling?
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/is-this-the-end-of-recycling?utm_source=pocket-newtab

E-trash
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/20992240/e-waste-recycling-electronic-basel-convention-crime-total-reclaim-fraud

Trash is something we don't often or want to think about. The movie Wall-E did a good job depicting a future in which trash build up got so bad that humans essentially could no longer live with it, while cracking jokes about humans being fat and lazy, letting computers and robots do all the work.

The creators of the movie were trying to warn people while trying to get them to care about the effort to clean up our planet BEFORE things got too bad. With all the innovations we have pushed by technology there seem to be few innovations and new ideas about trash.

But here's one that's pretty good.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ocean-cleanup-device-catches-plastic-in-rivers-2019-10

But as this article suggests, there's no one silver bullet solution. We need ideas from new materials and fabrication techniques that allow greater biodegradability, as well as some kind of robots that can recycle waste into resuable materials, especially for 3D printing.

What are your ideas? How much do you think about our environment and our impact on it? How should we deal with our trash? Seen any new recycling technology you can share? Any related crowdfunding projects we can talk about or share?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347475 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic American Trash
Here in North Carolina USA- we recycle largely and openly to the point there are recycling centers for neighborhoods and malls n such even at the mall them self’s. Where I’m at , the city manages it. What they do is awesome. They sell the recycling stuff to places each year. Always selling and making money of deals they do here and there. It’s public. Every year. That goes to the city and county and pays for taxes n such. If ya work own or anything city ya get a break at the end of the year and such. Keeps taxes down. Now, I can’t say every one should or does do this but ... I would hope managers understand managing- and truthfully - it’s all done in the greater 48 states, which means all the stuff we toss gets re used here locally. How? A few willing people. That’s all it takes really - those few willing.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347486 by
Replied by on topic American Trash
You, Americans, are quite lucky because you at least HAVE recycling. Because in Belarus, we don't have a proper recycling system at all, and not because our government is doing it wrong, but because the people are indifferent. We had several places with special trash containers for different types of trash. Later, they were removed because almost nobody used them in a proper way. Even my own family thinks that all this recycling and trash sorting is just a waste of time!

More
4 years 3 months ago #347497 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic American Trash

Even my own family thinks that all this recycling and trash sorting is just a waste of time!

Maybe it is?

After you go through all that hard work of sorting things into the prettily coloured bins - what actually happens to it after that? what's the waste/recovery rate like? what's the resource drain to do it?

Mayhap it would be better not to use or create the waste in the first place than to imagine recycling is an efficient and worthwhile solution to a problem.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347498 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic American Trash
It's relatively expensive to recycle, largely depends on the private industry in a given area, and not everything in the bin gets recycled. NPR's planet money did a fantastic exposé on the costs of it

A lot of the issue as far as I know is material engineering plastics to either be biodegradable (read flimsy) or reusable (read not biodegradable) while remaining cost effective

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347499 by
Well, producing less waste is also a problem... For example, I try to use paper for such things as unimportant notes and new pen checking untill there is just no place to write left. But my mother always tries to through away any sheet of paper which have less than 50% of blank space on it.

More
4 years 3 months ago #347501 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic American Trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRMUhZTz924

B)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347599 by
It seems that recycling is actually a bit of a waste of time and money. It really only delays the inevitable consumption of the resource that will end up in a trash pile. And it is very expensive, so the better solution should be to evolve to boidegradabe and after that I shall be starting a space trash business to shoot all the toxic chrap into the sun with reusable rockets like elon musk has!

More
4 years 3 months ago #347604 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic American Trash

so the better solution should be to evolve to boidegradabe

Elimination comes before Substitution.

No thing at all is better than a biodegradable thing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347606 by
Except a giant space rocket full of nuclear waste headed to the sun! The world is sustained by nuclear power and the waste is no issue.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi