Would Real Jedi use guns?

More
4 years 3 months ago #347204 by Alexandre Orion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BciHfsU7k

:cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #347214 by steamboat28

CaesarEJW wrote: But what happened to the good ol' mythical days of glorious battle and a warrior's honor?

"Wars not make one great."

Romanticising combat perpetuates it needlessly.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, J_Roz, Alexandre Orion, ZealotX

More
4 years 3 months ago #347218 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
A gun is a tool.

If I were to get out of my car with a machete in my hand, everyone in my city would panic. But if I lived in the country, where machetes are common tools to work in the field, it would completely normal.

So, as Alethea said, you have to assess the situation in which you are using your tool, to determine the best tool for the situation.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347220 by
Replied by on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Jedi were definately not just "peacekeepers" zealot. They were warriors. Police are peacekeepers, jedi were the elite combat arm of the government. Like navy seals with super powers. They fought in the clone wars and were the officers/leaders of the stormtroopers. Very definately warriors and if they had not had special skill with a light saber to return fire they would have carried the biggest guns of all the troops!

More
4 years 3 months ago #347221 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Bigger guns aren't by definition better guns. I think the Jedi tried for the smallest footprint possibly, which meant penetration and manouver. Which is why blowing up a small Moon was meant to indicate the exinguishibg of a deeply pervading existential threat.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
4 years 3 months ago #347222 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?

Romanticising combat perpetuates it needlessly.

combat is romanticised by rich people to convince poor people that dying for someone else's benefit is a good idea....
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #347223 by
Replied by on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
Best gun for right job! Light saber if you can direct laser bolts would not work on metal so here on earth jedi would carry guns at all times. So assassin guns for assassins, either teeny guns that bounce, no joy, or big fat barrett, take the head off! Big badda boom!. Bigger gun=better gun!

More
4 years 3 months ago #347225 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?
If, say, you're up to mischief in a vehicle, then perhaps an AM rifle is the right tool for the job.

If we're hanging out in central park and I'm feeling like I need to be a little richer at your expense, then perhaps 9mm will be sufficient.

Of course, if my goal is to be enriched at your expense, perhaps photos of that thing that happened at that place that one time would be even more suitable than a bullet?

right tool for the job....

More
4 years 3 months ago #347275 by Tannis Yarl
In the 100 years war between the English & the French the use of the Longbow vs the Crossbow has been cited as the winning factor. The longbow took years of practice to hone a skill that proved much deadlier than the brute power of the Crossbow. My point is that I would think that we, as Jedi would prefer to master a skill that empowers us to use force when necessary. The time and discipline taken to master a martial art would be instrumental in teaching us the judgement to only use the force necessary to diffuse the situation and give us the control to do so. I would consider Aikido and Judo to be forms that would be appropriate for Jedi, since they use an opponent's aggression against them.

Guns make lethal force too easy. Anyone can pick one up and kill with it. Countless articles are in the news where a very young child has found their parent's gun and killed either themselves or someone else around them. Not taking anything away from those who have honed their marksmanship skills in the military or law enforcement, but simply put guns make death effortless. Point & shoot. The statement: "god made all men, but Samuel Colt made men equal" sums up my assertion. Evolution may have favored the bigger man, and one may have put in the time & effort to develop strength & skill in hand to hand fighting, but all that counts for little when firearms are in use. The Power of life & death shouldn't come easily, it should take time & effort and come with a responsible code of respect for that power.

I'm not saying Jedi shouldn't use them, just that we should have the judgement to avoid the necessity and only do so as an extreme last resort.
I fixed firearms during my stint in the Army (45B, small arms repairer), and I've owned and practiced with them on a regular basis. I've never had need to use one in my 54 years here so far, and looking back there has never been a time when having a gun would have improved a bad situation I've been in. There were several where one would certainly have made it worse.

Tannis Yarl
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
4 years 3 months ago #347289 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Would Real Jedi use guns?

Eleven wrote: A Jedi should never use a weapon to intently kill rather if needs be disarmament of the other. “What if killing the individual is unavoidable?” I cannot imagine most of us here are in those situations on a regular basis unless your a soldier in wartime. I think a gun or weapon when wield is an extension of the human ego.

That is Hollywood tactics you are talking about. How will you disarm? Hit a limb? Do you mean the brachial or femoral artery? Which will kill you just as dead as a shot between the eyes. Hit the weapon? Do you have any idea how hard it is to hit a moving HUMAN sized target under stress never mind a one-inch target on the move and potentially shooting back? ( Here is a hint police hit rate is 30 to 50 percent under stress )
Do you know what every miss means? The potential that your stray round hurts the innocent. So what you just described not only will just as likely kill the offender but puts the innocent at greater risk. That is why you shoot center mass. If you want to go home breathing or to keep the people around you from harm you shoot until the threat stops being a threat. If that means they live great. If they die well that is sad but they chose the course that put them on that path.

I have been in the situation to pull my weapon not once but twice in my life. Both times I can tell you for a fact there was no ego involved. It was survival. Pure I do not want to die and I dont want those in my care to die. Thank the Force I was not pushed to the point of pulling the trigger either time. But it was always a possibility.

Now to answer the op. I carry a gun every day that I am able from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I also at a minimum carry a knife, flashlight, pepper spray, and first aid kit whenever I am able. Why? Because I want to have the tools at hand to render aid if I need to. The variety that I carry allows me to pick the right tool for the job. Just like a Jedi carried a set of tools on their belt regularly.
Do I ever want to pull the trigger? No. But I know if need be I will. Because evil does not respect person, time, or place and you choose the best tool to give you the best odds of survival that you legally can while still maintaining the ability to blend with those around you. Only in Hollywood do you get into a knife fight and not get cut and the reality is that you may be the only defender in the room and thus cannot fail or people other then you may die. You do not train for the regular. You train for the worst day of your life and hope it never comes.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, Rex, Tannis Yarl

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi