Thoughts on smoking/vaping ?

More
4 years 3 months ago #346816 by Alexandre Orion
I vape like a bastard... but then I smoked like a bastard for 20-some years. Having tried various techniques to get off the fags, nothing seemed to work. It would take between two months or two days for me to fall off the wagon.

Took up vaping on the 8th of March, 2014 and haven't lit a ciggie since. Some here remember me smoking ...

As for cannabis, there are some quite good things in it, the cannabidiols (CBA, CBB, CBD &c.) which are very healthy for us. When one considers that the THC which makes one "high" really doesn't last that long and leaves the cannabidiols in us going for hours, I'm pretty sure that I'd vote to legalise it too. But I'm not in the Senate anymore... ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Malicious

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #346821 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Thoughts on smoking/vaping ?

Alexandre Orion wrote: I vape like a bastard... but then I smoked like a bastard for 20-some years. Having tried various techniques to get off the fags, nothing seemed to work. It would take between two months or two days for me to fall off the wagon.

Took up vaping on the 8th of March, 2014 and haven't lit a ciggie since. Some here remember me smoking ...

As for cannabis, there are some quite good things in it, the cannabidiols (CBA, CBB, CBD &c.) which are very healthy for us. When one considers that the THC which makes one "high" really doesn't last that long and leaves the cannabidiols in us going for hours, I'm pretty sure that I'd vote to legalise it too. But I'm not in the Senate anymore... ;)

Thank you for saying exactly what I would say but better. Good to see you around friend.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi, Malicious

More
4 years 3 months ago #346824 by steamboat28
Vices are personal, so long as they aren't hurting others, but I caution moderation--when a substance controls you, you lose a bit of self-determination.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Rex, Malicious

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346827 by
Replied by on topic Thoughts on smoking/vaping ?

Rainbow Firefly wrote:

CaesarEJW wrote: Inhaling anything other than the 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide mixture that we call "air" is bad for you.
Duh.

I don't think you are right in this opinion. Not just anything except of pure "air" is harmful. "Natural" air, for example in the forest or nearby the ocean, also includes hundreds of other compounds that can be helpful for a human. For example, pine forests produce lots of phytoncides, that can cure infections just by inhaling them, even tuberculosis!

Oh, eat me.
I'm not wrong, am I?
That is the correct chemical composition of air (give or take a bit of argon and whatnot).
"Natural" air? As opposed to "unnatural" air? You do realize that everything is technically natural, even man-made things. We occur in nature, our creations occur in nature, therefore it is all "natural" (a city is akin to a beehive, just much more complex).
And as for the rest of your response, a resounding DUH (ALTHOUGH that bit about the phytoncides is fascinating, thank you for sharing).
Not to mention I was being humorous. :P
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago #346859 by
By "natural air" I mean "not polluted air", air that can be found in wild nature.

And you're wrong because it's impossible for air to be a mixture of ONLY nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide and argon, it also includes other compounds, but not all of them are bad for a human.

Just re-read your opinion carefully. You say that everything other than a proper mixture of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide and argon is bad for human health.
But:
1) This mixture just don't exist in "pure" version, there are always hundreds of other compounds.
2) Not only this four components of air are the components of "healthy" air.
3) A "pure" mixture of this four gases can be worse for our health than air with extra compounds such as phytoncides and sea salt.

Conclusion: you're wrong in this opinion and most likely not a medic/chemist/biologist by education.

More
4 years 3 months ago #346873 by ZealotX
I had a mother-in-law who died from lung cancer because she was a smoker. When I met her she was probably already stage 4. Watching her die slowly and the effect it had on her family wasn't easy.

Part of me wants to give the whole black lung speech and fry an egg in a pan, but I'd rather say...

You should think of your body as more than just the outside surface that you see in the mirror. Inside you there is a whole entire micro universe. If you could visualize a small piece of it... all those living cells working, growing, functioning together with the Force flowing through them, giving them life and energy. Imagine a lush tropical environment fueled by your positive health choices... consuming fruits and vegetables.

Now imagine Mustafar with Darth Vader's castle. (The story of Mustafar, told in Vader Immortal, is interesting because it wasn't always like that) Imagine turning your own body into a wasteland, a little bit each time you pump pollutants into your internal atmosphere. You're slowly killing yourself but counting on your cells to compensate and grow back. But can your body keep up with the work you're forcing upon it to make up for your unhealthy lifestyle choices? Can the Amazon rain forest last forever with all the fires and deforestation?

I'm not telling anyone don't smoke. What I'm saying is that its not something you want to do every day. It shouldn't be habit or routine. It shouldn't be something you feel the need to do. I won't smoke cigarettes or anything with bad chemical ingredients. I can count how many cigars I've smoked on one hand. It's not zero but it's not even 5. These things have cancer-causing chemicals. They might be legal, but they're not safe and the companies that make them don't care what happens to you as a result of using their products. And the results wont come today or tomorrow. But they'll come. And you have to think about what kind of quality of life you want to have when you're 50,60,70+ Do you want to be on oxygen and coughing all the time? Do you want to have some kind of Darth Vader mask that helps you breathe?

If you're going to smoke anything, smoke weed. Get it in a bag. Roll it yourself. Make sure you have a reliable source who's not going to try and lace it with something else. I used to get it for myself every now and then and smoke socially just when someone's passing it around. But these days I'm only ever going to buy it for myself when I'm in Jamaica which is not often. So for me its more of a vacation thing and I know Rastafarians who have either cut back a lot or stopped smoking weed altogether.

Take care of your body, not just the outside. Take care of the inside too. Drink lots of water and make sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet or take supplements if you have to. Remember that you are a vessel and a conduit for the Force.

More
4 years 3 months ago #346876 by ZealotX

CaesarEJW wrote:

Rainbow Firefly wrote:

CaesarEJW wrote: Inhaling anything other than the 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide mixture that we call "air" is bad for you.
Duh.

I don't think you are right in this opinion. Not just anything except of pure "air" is harmful. "Natural" air, for example in the forest or nearby the ocean, also includes hundreds of other compounds that can be helpful for a human. For example, pine forests produce lots of phytoncides, that can cure infections just by inhaling them, even tuberculosis!

Oh, eat me.
I'm not wrong, am I?
That is the correct chemical composition of air (give or take a bit of argon and whatnot).
"Natural" air? As opposed to "unnatural" air? You do realize that everything is technically natural, even man-made things. We occur in nature, our creations occur in nature, therefore it is all "natural" (a city is akin to a beehive, just much more complex).
And as for the rest of your response, a resounding DUH (ALTHOUGH that bit about the phytoncides is fascinating, thank you for sharing).
Not to mention I was being humorous. :P

when the planet "smokes" in the form of volcanoes, that's also "natural", but it will definitely kill you and any other animal that gets too close.

...and no, man made things aren't natural. That's why we make them.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346881 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Thoughts on smoking/vaping ?
I am an off and on smoking, though it isn't a huge deal for me, I am one of those who started in my twenties, so it doesn't have such a firm grip on me.

Nowadays I mostly smoke when I drink, and I don't drink very often either, so.

I would definitely prefer to stay away from cigarettes, and would advise anyone to do the same.

I do enjoy weed, though probably once every other year, so I assume the dosage is low enough to be irrelevant. I don't smoke it. I prefer it in brownies. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Manu.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346885 by

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #346886 by

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi