Safe for Young Children

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #342062 by
Safe for Young Children was created by
As I've been here, I've noticed the heavy restrictions, brought on specifically because this site is open children as young as 6? 8?

First, I find that incredibly disturbing. In my opinion, very little written here, in the subforums, even in the IP... is what I'd consider acceptable for children of such an age. The transgender topic? Unsuitable. What many write in their journals? Unsuitable. The rant thread, declaring a desire to see all human life end? Unsuitable. The Power of Myth? Unsuitable.

Jediism itself? I actually find it unsuitable, at least in the adult format taught. That is, unless there is a youth only area, sectioned off from everywhere else here? If so, why in the world are children allowed to roam free through these pages?

However, kids are playing Grand Theft Auto these days... this forum is rather tame if that's the standard of what is okay. However, it's not okay, hence the M rating.

Thoughts?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
4 years 7 months ago #342066 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Safe for Young Children
It is completely illegal for 6 or 8 year olds to be here. We do not want them here at that age.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron, Kobos, Brick, Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342068 by
Replied by on topic Safe for Young Children

ren wrote: It is completely illegal for 6 or 8 year olds to be here. We do not want them here at that age.

... and yet, I've read it multiple times... "if it's not something you'd show your 8 year old"... basically, it's not okay for this forum. If 8 year old children aren't allowed here... I don't understand this rule.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342069 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Safe for Young Children
Other than winning the internet - what is your motivation for all the grand suggestions lately?

What do you see the temple as now?
What is your vision for it in the future?

from there we can presumably find the difference and areas of necessary growth or pruning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #342070 by

JamesSand wrote: Other than winning the internet - what is your motivation for all the grand suggestions lately?

What do you see the temple as now?
What is your vision for it in the future?

from there we can presumably find the difference and areas of necessary growth or pruning.

Just sharing ideas, questions, suggestions...

Currently, I think this place suffers because of its need to be "G" rated. This need for "G" rating is due to this place being "kid friendly". I also see this place as far too closed, too strict at times, poorly staffed, poorly run, badly marketed... and in general, there is a massive failure in communication skills between leadership here.

What is my vision for this place (future tense) ?

1. Guest area. This will include...
Guest journals
General discussion
Other Paths (Grey, Sith... and so on)
Cantina
Youth Area (13+ only)

It should be moderated lightly, as these are guests, not necessarily ToTJO Jedi.

2. ToTJO proper. (Read only access for Guests).

ToTJO Journals
ToTJO Subforums (all existing)
ToTJO Proper (Temple)

3. Help Area

Site assistance (where you can post bugs and such)
User Questions (private area between mods and members)
Disciplinary (place where disciplinary action is logged, so people who are banned, know why).

.... you asked.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by .

More
4 years 7 months ago #342074 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Safe for Young Children
Okay, so we change the layout of the fora, what will all this achieve?

What do you want TotJO to be? how will your proposed changes create that?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342076 by

JamesSand wrote: Okay, so we change the layout of the fora, what will all this achieve?

What do you want TotJO to be? how will your proposed changes create that?

It will open the site up to fresh audiences, be more "inclusive" (God! I hate that word) for Guest users. It will also protect ToTJO proper by means of "read only" for Guest users.

What do I want it to be? A place for the free exchange of ideas, A place for people interested in force realism (in general). A place for people to learn Jediism (ToTJO Proper). A place for Jedi to interact with other types of force realists. (IE: Greys, Sith, ect). If there is a welcoming space for other force realists (like Greys and Sith) to interact where they aren't held to the standard of ToTJO Jedi, much can likely be learned from interacting with them/us.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #342078 by
I for one like that idea. Good for both sides, and with the proposed moderation on the TOTJO proper, perhaps the guest area would satisfy the trolls and keep them out of the the serious discussions so they don't get run over.

More
4 years 7 months ago #342094 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Safe for Young Children
What's the point of read-only access to anything?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
4 years 7 months ago #342096 by Carlos.Martinez3
Like a book?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi