My belief system

More
16 Apr 2019 17:04 #337263 by Lenny C
Replied by Lenny C on topic My belief system
I think the problem with society in modern times that there are so many paths or religions one can choose. So let’s say your Buddhism and your best friend isn’t. Is it your place to enlighten them and communicate what you believe in, or do you start to hate them because they aren’t like yourself, Remember it’s your best friend. Or do you teach and let them decide which path to go down. The force religion has many paths to go down and some are mixed religions some are based on fantasy, but like the best friend would hate or teach them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 17:39 - 16 Apr 2019 17:41 #337264 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic My belief system

Lenny C wrote: I think the problem with society in modern times that there are so many paths or religions one can choose. So let’s say your Buddhism and your best friend isn’t. Is it your place to enlighten them and communicate what you believe in, or do you start to hate them because they aren’t like yourself, Remember it’s your best friend. Or do you teach and let them decide which path to go down. The force religion has many paths to go down and some are mixed religions some are based on fantasy, but like the best friend would hate or teach them.


Very true. I understand his concerns because I share them to some degree when it comes to certain, historically destructive, religions. I think when you say "this is what I believe" maybe he sees that as you saying "this is what's true to me" and then he feels the need to step in and say "that's not true". I think we all have the potential of seeing it that way because it's logical. But logic is sometimes only half the story. It's important, but everything in every story doesn't have to be historically accurate in order to have value to us. Star Wars has more value to me than the bible does and yet the bible is more historically accurate.

The things that are accurate are used by 'corrupt' people in order to control others and to get others to do bad things and use the God of the Hebrews as a justification. And since the biblical God doesn't really exist he never stopped or corrected them. And so a lot of people got trapped in a lie. But that being said, do you get them out? From the outside perspective they may seem trapped to us while inside they feel free and feel like we're trapped by our "unbelief". They feel like they have the all powerful God of the universe on their side. What are we offering? Truth? Ah... but nothing to replace it with. Good and evil can manifest themselves within a single religion. It was fallen Jedi, after all, who gave rise to the Sith. Lest we forget.

So it's easy to try and take something away but if you have nothing to replace it with then you can do more harm to that person than the harm you imagine them in because of their faith. And it's really easy to find points on which we all disagree because we're not the same entity. We have different minds and experiences. The key is that we need to accept each other, differences and all, and only seek to step in if there is evidence of harm being done. And I would suggest that no one was trying to attack you but "test" your faith in an effort to protect you from it. But there's no need. It seems like a positive and empowering thing and I plan to read more of the links you posted.

may the force be with you
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 17:41 by ZealotX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 18:17 #337265 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Replied by Kyrin Wyldstar on topic My belief system

ZealotX wrote: Consider that beliefs are kind of like mental programs that people accept… It was her faith that helped her deal with the emotional catastrophic loss of her husband, not science, not strict adherence to the truth. Her faith made her feel better and feelings matter.


Why was it faith she relied on and not the emotional support of friends and family? I’m not saying science deals in emotions, but the human condition does and that’s where service begins. Not in some false belief system but in real human connection! That is the Force to me. The force does not exist “out there”, it’s inside us. I would rather believe we have the power to comfort and make feel better, not some ancient book or arcane belief system. Understanding the natural cycles of life and finding support in other real beings instead of inventing supernatural crap that is ultimately meaningless and serves only to waste our lives by replacing that real human connection we all require.



ZealotX wrote: The key in what you said is "misplaced beliefs", but "turning into something bad" betrays your fear and fear leads to the dark side.


I don’t believe fear leads to the dark side. I believe that superstition and faith lead to detrimentally destructive behaviors.



ZealotX wrote: What if Lenny had such a bad experience being "corrected" by Jedi that it soured him on the whole site and all the positive people he could have interacted with?


This is not my issue. He is responsible for his own thoughts, feelings and actions. I take no responsibility for them. He can choose who to interact with outside of any influence I may offer.




ZealotX wrote: And come on... we are the "temple of the Jedi Order". Is there anyone that can pretend that our name doesn't come from the fictional realm? So to judge "other fiction" is simply to say that I sanction this fiction over here but not that fiction over there.


Actually I sanction neither fictional realm. Star Wars is just a fantasy movie. What I do sanction is the relevant wisdom behind it. I don’t claim Star Wars as a belief system and I don’t think anyone should make up a revisionist spiritual history of our world and then claim that as a belief system. It does an incredible disservice to the real history of our planet and it cheapens those old world spiritualties by corrupting them into something they were never meant to be. Those ancient spiritualties are incredibly rich and full of wisdom. Why not explore them for what they were instead of trying to squeeze them into a fantastical realm of a specific science fiction construct? To treat them so badly seems like escapist ideology not a search for truth.




ZealotX wrote: At some point thesis and antithesis must become synthesis… I understand where you're coming from but I think you're seeing the problem too broadly.


I don’t necessarily agree. Truth is not about compromise. If one position is wrong then that position must relinquish its position in favor of the other. It’s not about compromise in this instance. How we view our world can be about synthesis of course so I agree there. That is a place of cooperation and human experience, but facts are facts and to rewrite history to entertain a fantasy is just wrong. I don’t think this is too broad a spectrum to quantify into a coherent argument. I love a good fantasy as much as the next person. It’s why I was drawn to Star Wars and the exploration of this site. I just don’t want to see people confuse the fantasy with the reality and that happens all too often on this site.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 18:24 #337266 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Replied by Kyrin Wyldstar on topic My belief system

Lenny C wrote: Kyrin Wyldstar Is there a problem with copying the easiest simplest version I could find and copying it on what I believe. Its like your mindset is hell bent on proving its false ,you mention other religions as false. So do you look at life as real is real and has to be fact or do look at life open minded.


No there is no problem with it per say, but be careful to always site references and give credit where credit is due. That was my issue. This place is harsh on plagiarism so if you plan to further training here you must be very aware of that fact. Any quotes or reference to other material must be plainly sighted.

Your comments were not harsh so there is no need to apologize to me either. What I prefer and what I think others prefer for the most part is for you not to just lazily cut and paste some article and say this is what I believe. I want to hear what you believe in your own words. Tell us what you feel not some article. I want to know your experiences and your thoughts and your feelings and beliefs. I don't want to read an article that you find interesting, I want to know what you find interesting or relevant in your path.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 18:37 #337267 by Lenny C
Replied by Lenny C on topic My belief system
Ok what I believe truth. When I was young I was all into magic. I got my first set of runes when I was 17. I became mentally unstable when I was 19 but then started to use rune magic and my belief in the force (starwars) As I progressed through the years doing magic ,I realised what I was doing wasn’t really magic at all , but a way of convincing my mind to believe in what Magic I was writing down. Up until recently, I had a revaluation So instead
of just believing in the force and using magic to turn myself into having medichlorians. I would use my magic to create my own personal force only I could use. After I did that I did some research and found articles on djedi which did similar things to me. Right Now after all I have done with magic, is
more rather a way of convincing myself, like the either real or fantasy djedi did. So that’s why I believe in djedi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kyrin Wyldstar, ZealotX
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 18:38 - 16 Apr 2019 18:44 #337268 by Lenny C
Replied by Lenny C on topic My belief system
I’m not a teacher and not telling anyone to copy me.
What I did for myself is unleashed the force for myself
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 18:44 by Lenny C. Reason: Needed to add a bit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 18:57 - 16 Apr 2019 18:58 #337270 by Lenny C
Replied by Lenny C on topic My belief system
I’m not a teacher. But all I have done is opened my eyes and allowed myself to use if you want to call it the force.
The question I think is do you believe or not. It’s a personal journey that probably every Jedi goes through. But where all individuals and no journey is the same . Thanks for being nice about what I believe and will take on board your comments..
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 18:58 by Lenny C. Reason: Miss spelled word
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 19:09 #337271 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic My belief system
This is something that has taken a life form of it's own here in this Temple and has gotten worse over the years.. Kyrin, you have your beliefs, Adder His, ZealotX his, Ros hers, Carlos his, Lenny's his, I have mine as well.

“Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.”
― Lao Tzu

“Maybe each human being lives in a unique world, a private world different from those inhabited and experienced by all other humans... If reality differs from person to person, can we speak of reality singular, or shouldn't we really be talking about plural realities? And if there are plural realities, are some more true (more real) than others? What about the world of a schizophrenic? Maybe it's as real as our world. Maybe we cannot say that we are in touch with reality and he is not, but should instead say, His reality is so different from ours that he can't explain his to us, and we can't explain ours to him. The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication... and there is the real illness.”
― Philip K. Dick

“No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.”
― Ansel Adams

“We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.”
― Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook


Learn to respect one another based on your differences of what you believe. How in this forsaken world is anyone ever truly going to get a long if one can not respect another's beliefs. Whether or not they can research an item as detailed as you Kyrin, having the knowledge base you do, etc. Not everyone has that capacity or ability. (No offense to anyone) Teach Kyrin, stop the banter of the lesser one with knowledge, experience, etc. Yes, help explain but it needs to be at different levels based on each person, not just yours. You could quote every book in the scientific world, Philosophy and so on, you get it, but Joe Blow down the Street is on a lesser understanding of things and doesn't. Just because what you believe is Truth in your life, in someone else's life, their feelings, experiences, spirituality and understanding is at a different level or plane as you. Teaching takes patience as well as accepting not everyone looks at the greater picture in the same way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Ambert The Traveller
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 21:06 #337275 by ren
Replied by ren on topic My belief system

Lenny C wrote: Kyrin Wyldstar Is there a problem with copying the easiest simplest version I could find and copying it on what I believe. Its like your mindset is hell bent on proving its false ,you mention other religions as false. So do you look at life as real is real and has to be fact or do look at life open minded.


You did not quote, or attribute, this copyrighted verbatim copy of a magazine article.

Everything about it is wrong. Academically and legally.


My belief in the page 3 girl's bosom does not give me the right to post it on totjo, and my belief in perkiness is not above criticism either.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Apr 2019 21:41 - 16 Apr 2019 21:42 #337276 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Replied by Kyrin Wyldstar on topic My belief system

Neaj Pa Bol wrote: This is something that has taken a life form of it's own here in this Temple and has gotten worse over the years.. Kyrin, you have your beliefs, Adder His, ZealotX his, Ros hers, Carlos his, Lenny's his, I have mine as well.

Learn to respect one another based on your differences of what you believe. How in this forsaken world is anyone ever truly going to get a long if one can not respect another's beliefs. Whether or not they can research an item as detailed as you Kyrin, having the knowledge base you do, etc. Not everyone has that capacity or ability. (No offense to anyone) Teach Kyrin, stop the banter of the lesser one with knowledge, experience, etc. Yes, help explain but it needs to be at different levels based on each person, not just yours. You could quote every book in the scientific world, Philosophy and so on, you get it, but Joe Blow down the Street is on a lesser understanding of things and doesn't. Just because what you believe is Truth in your life, in someone else's life, their feelings, experiences, spirituality and understanding is at a different level or plane as you. Teaching takes patience as well as accepting not everyone looks at the greater picture in the same way.



Not that I will really expect a reply but what has taken on a life of its own here? You never really defined what you are talking about?

I think this conversation has been very respectful and quite productive. My gift is my ability to research. If I do not provide that to the temple then I have not done my due diligence in service. There has been no banter in this conversation that I can see. There have been different positions discussed and quite eloquently I feel. Part of this conversation has been in PM and not available to the public and that furthered many things not seen here. I wish people would not be so quick to judge the content of a conversation from the outside without knowing all the facts. This conversation has been a teaching moment for anyone willing to accept it as such. To call it a disrespectful conversation is a blatant mis-characterization of its content.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.
My Journals: Kyrin-Wyldstar

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
Apprenticed to: Alan, Senan, Mendalicious
Tribute to Senan: My Friend
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 21:42 by Kyrin Wyldstar.
The topic has been locked.