Why do we consume the media we do.

More
5 years 4 months ago #331300 by thomaswfaulkner
I tend to jump all over the place with what I watch/read...I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on some experience in life. Typically, most of the stuff I read is driven towards more towards non-fiction, I think the last novel I read was a part of my Apprenticeship and I know the next one I'll read is when my wife finally gets around to publishing hers. But as of right now, most of what I read involves being a better listener at work, and learning how I can approach some of the more difficult problems people share with me. That let's me know that while I do embrace silence in therapy, I'm terrified, in a sense to not know what to say, but the more I expose myself to these vulnerable situations, the more I see it's okay to not know and just have that space to figure it out together.

Video media, aww man there isn't really much of anything that truly sticks. Here recently I've been watching informational chess videos, because 11 year old Thomas thought he was decent at chess, but playing against the computers now, after years of not touching the board, maybe, just maybe, I really wasn't. But I'm learning and that's okay! My wife and I love to laugh at comedy shows that never grow old, like The Office, Parks and Rec, and Coyote Peterson, because holy freakity freak, I don't know what it is about him getting stung that's worthy of my attention, [strike]maybe its the curiosity[/strike], or maybe it's the stinging.

I'd like to think there is a lesson tucked away in any experience, and if nonetheless, it's a lesson to not do that again. :P

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #331428 by Kobos
Man what an excellent selection of responses!

James to your hatred of the old ways I present this.....https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d06d6ff4-4b5f-4f8b-9501-37a2abed1ad7

"My preferences seem to have lately been encompassed by one major fact: most of what we see is fake. Thus, my choice. If I'm going to watch something fake, it might as well be something that admits it's fantasy."

This is awesome and kinda starts to lead me to what I wanted to try and get at. What part of the fantasy is what grabs you? All media is a fantasy, relying on the mind to fill in the blanks it doesn't, even if it is a representation of something true. So to further that point is there a that particular fantasy that sticks out. I think the post apocalyptic and scifi genres stick out here. I enjoy both of these in book and electronic (video/game) format. I sometimes have to ask myself why that is. Now, I could just be crazy (likely either way) but I think it shows in interest in the two natures of man. The apocalyptic and horror stuff I think shows that we could be so much worse than we really are simply because we can imagine it. On the flip the scifi/fantasy can show us how much more we can be. I guess I am just trying to answer the question, "because I do?"

I would love to see what people come up with here as I continue to try and focus on this a little bit over the xmas break.

Much love, respect, and peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #331441 by
I have two modes of media consumption. One is, learning. I watch a heck of a lot of documentaries and reporting-type shows (like Dirty Jobs or so). Also a lot of competition shows like Forged In Fire or cooking ones. Lots of Nat Geo, History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet stuff.

And then sometimes I just want meaningless input. I get overwhelmed or sad or whatever and I just need to pretend nothing matters for a while. Then I watch sitcoms: Big Bang Theory, Friends, seaQuest (yep, I'm old). I think of it as candy: it's not great for me but it's ok in moderation and sometimes it's just really nice.

I watch loads of YouTube as well, but it generally falls within the "learning" or "candy" category.

I do not watch horror or most action (ie, violent) stuff. I'm super sensitive and life is horrible and violent enough without courting it, for me.

In terms of music, I really dig traditional/ethnic stuff. Celtic, Pacific Island, and a lot of African stuff especially. I also like folk and choral and Broadway and classical that isn't too frilly. Some of what I guess is now considered "classic rock" is nice, too. It's music that makes me feel connected and reminds me of how global society is now.

More
5 years 3 months ago #332136 by Kobos
Just bumping want to see if anyone has something to add, I think it can be appropriate with some of the other discussions going on! :)

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

More
5 years 3 months ago #332146 by Kobos
I actually have something for this yay!

So I have been watching music videos a lot all variety and I have been making a point to mark my emotional sensation from said song and then think about the artist who then designed the visual the music video represents to draw a further emotional connection to the song. I find this really interesting because, when I separate my reaction from the song from my reaction to the film. There are some pretty beautiful scenes of cinematography and direction of people and resources to put to image the director or artists emotional perspective to the song, even if that is different from mine. Then the beauty of music itself really it's a pretty awesome thing to consider both separate but the same assembly.

For example I think the Cranberries original video of Zombie is and would be kind of a work of art without the music. Are there any music videos, art or songs that make you consider things like that. Let me know what you got so I can check it out.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

More
5 years 3 months ago #332308 by Streen
I have an example...

When I first saw the music video for "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons, I thought it was a dumb song. Later, when I saw the band perform the song on stage, I realized how much I like the song and hate the video. It's a complete distraction from the lyrics and musicians.

It's the opposite of your example, Kobos, but I think it applies.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
5 years 3 months ago #332312 by Kobos
I think that's an awesome point to bring up. So, here is this video that literally in now real substantial additive to any thing IMO. Even the entertainment value without the music is horrible, save the level of Lou Diamond Phillips involved.

So one of my professors way back in the day; taught us oil painting. Kind of explained where I think there is a disconnect in this video and song combined (the original purpose of this art form). See so the film part seems to be too much liberties taken with artistic freedoms. So, we want to be free when we all produce art, we still have a general purpose in most times. So, to me it seems like this artist behind the video to add a purpose to the video via a message. So, to me personally, this video starts at first like an anti-animal fighting ad. Through out it I feel that the attitude pushes that as a theme the whole time. So, I think that then the original intent, to make a video for music, become the second to the artist want/need to make a statement. However, it is not a bad thing but in the case, the IMHO, it was a poor match for the music it was paired with and pn top of that poorly executed as a team (filming, editing, to even the artist signing off on it).

I hope that all makes sense but this is also a huge thing in media in general. Some times it good sometimes it is the absolute opposite and fails to leave any sort of message to anything.

Absolutely awesome example! Thank you for the addition.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

More
5 years 2 months ago #333266 by Kobos
So, I have recently been writing and cleaning a lot. I normally clean to music or I throw on the early seasons of South Park. Just thinking about it I often find myself very much in agreement with the writers when they take comedy deeper than just the dirty jokes. So I started thinking about how this may have shaped my own morals and perspectives.

I was wondering if anyone else had a show like this for them?

Much Love, Respect, and Peace

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi