Is this the status quo?

More
5 years 7 months ago #326533 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Is this the status quo?
Take this with a grain of salt I guess since I haven't been around much lately, so this is based off of the 5'ish years that I had been active and stepped out about a year or so ago.

I've observed quite consistently that threads that don't revolve around controversial topics or events are much less likely to get much attention. I see that hasn't changed much since.

I don't often see many people here reply to anything with intention of genuine enquiry about... really anything. The temple more often than not has come across to me more as a platform for people to attempt to draw personal validation from others in the community, whether by means of "speaking the nicest", or "speaking the straightest" in a sort of social game of one-upsmanship. Maybe many don't know they do it, and maybe many of them aren't really trying to. When you step back though and look at the larger crowd and pattern, it consistently reflects this (the lack of genuine intention of enquiry, and instead, people pitching into a contest of coming off the wisest to whoever is reading). I find myself wondering if maybe this is what contributes to the phenomenon of controversial threads having the most activity. Will you run out of fingers on even one hand counting how many people are asking someone else a question in any of them, instead of making statements to define "the way things are"?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #326549 by
Replied by on topic Is this the status quo?
What you really need to ask yourself onyllwyn is what it is you are actually looking for? What is a jedi to you and even more so what is a society that exists in perfect harmony where that jedi you defined exists in perfect harmony?

Many come here from christianity or other religions after being disillusioned by that paradigm but still in search of that perfect nirvan and peace those dogmas promised. Are you looking for perfection in some group? If so you will not find it here or in any group you seek out. Stop trying to find peace in others and search for peace within yourself. This place will not give you the answers you seek and blaming them for that failure will not satisfy you. Only you can find the answers inside and only you can find that peace within.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by .

More
5 years 7 months ago #326550 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Is this the status quo?
I'd look at it this way: you can get out of this place what you want. The TotJO has been very impactful in my life -- I'm glad that it exists. I don't find that value in the general forum where all these posts you describe are made; sometimes there is something interesting and valuable. Sometimes there isn't.

There is real value in the training programs here -- if you understand that you have a say in what you take away from them. There is real value in the friendships and you can have here; I have received some wonderful experiences from working with mentors during my Apprenticeship (I worked with three different teaching masters during my time).

As others have said: there's a cyclical nature to the "dramas" that unfold here -- I've noticed it's often just a handful of people who act as nuclei for these "hot spots" but it's all of the other people (well-intentioned or not) who interact with those "hot" threads that create the appearance of a larger issue. It's a burst of activity on the forum but it isn't actually all that important. What's important is what you want to take away from this place; what made you want to be here? Follow that thread deeper. The Temple may or may not be "what you need," but don't rely on any of us to confirm that: just be yourself and let things go as they may.

If I were to give more specific advice... seek out those infrequent posters who have really fascinating content buried in their personal journals. Don't be afraid to try and start conversations via PM. Jump into the various training elements here and see where it takes you. To that end, feel free to PM -- I don't spend a huge amount of time on the general forum, myself, but I'm always happy to chat.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi