Ask Me Anything Live Ajax Chat: Alexandre Orion, 5th May 1700 GMT

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320792 by
Hey TotJO-ans all! I hope you're all having a great week so far :)

This months' "Ask Me Anything" session is going to be brought to you by our very own Education Administrator, Alexandre Orion. I imagine there is going to be something for everybody in this chat session. Everyone who's touched on the IP has been involved in the temple's education programme; and the structure goes all the way through; many Knights are still working on their Bachelor degrees of Divinity, while helping Apprentices through their Associates degrees, so hope to see as many of you there as possible!

Can't make it? That's ok - send me a PM with any questions you'd like to ask, and I will keep them by if the conversation seems to run flat; I will pass them on to Alex so he can see them if we run out of time. A transcript of the discussion will be posted here afterwards, if AJAX cooperates.

To see what time 1700 GMT on the 5th of May is in your timezone, please click here: CLICKY
This will also soon be posted on the temple calendar (give it to the weekend, so our council secretary can respond), which you can find: HERE
The session will be held in the AJAX Chat; that's the one labelled "Chat" on the top bar, but also: CLICKY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #320864 by
Twigga fail!

Greenwich of GMT fame, despite being in London, does not share London's time-zone. As a result please, PLEASE use THIS link to check the timezone where you are: CLICKY

For those interested, Danmarkshavn in Greenland uses permanent GMT, just like TotJO. There are eight people who live there, and they look after a weather station, as well as the occasional ice-breaking boat. It looks nice, if a little cold....

People may still follow the instructions in the post above, since it could already be in diaries; but it fortunately has not yet made it into the temple calendar... I will be there to re-direct early-comers; and apologies for any inconveniences caused.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by . Reason: clarity

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #320908 by
Perhaps you are hungry to quiz our Education Administrator in a live chat? Or maybe you have your fill, but want to hang out with some of your favourite Jedi. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Ask me Anything Live Chat next weekend!

Attachment BB8.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #321021 by
What do you call a cattle battle in outer space?

Steer Wars

Just a friendly reminder to set your watches for this month's Ask me Anything live chat in AJAX: CLICKY HERE for the time where you are.

The place? CLICKY HERE

See you all there!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #321067 by
Le Bump!

Come spend some time with your favourite (and only) Temple Education Administrator! Hang out with some temple mates this weekend. Nice, and chill.

More
5 years 11 months ago #321068 by Rosalyn J
I'll be there :)

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #321089 by
1 Day and 21 hours to go! See you all there!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #321132 by
Looking forward to seeing you HERE tomorrow - 24 hrs to the chat, folks!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 11 months ago #321219 by
An hour to go! Looking forward to seeing you there!

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #321221 by Raxicorico
(14:31:52) Twigga: Are you ready to be peppered mercilessly with questions for the next hour?
(14:32:42) Alexandre_Orion: I don't know as I have the answers, but Yes
(14:33:42) Twigga: Could you kick off with a little background on what the Education Admin role is, what you actually do, what the responsibilities are, and then maybe what you ACTUALLY do?
(14:34:26) Alexandre_Orion: First of all, what I actually do is not at all what I thought I was supposed to do
(14:34:37) Alexandre_Orion: actually, truly, I do very little
(14:34:48) Alexandre_Orion: basically nothing
(14:34:57) Alexandre_Orion: I tried
(14:35:11) Alexandre_Orion: *when I took office, I asked several people to help
(14:35:51) Alexandre_Orion: we were going to stramline the educational endeavour of the TotJO to make all the levels interact
(14:36:15) Alexandre_Orion: make them flow more gracefully one into the others
(14:37:16) Alexandre_Orion: guided by the question : What are people actually learning here ?
(14:37:17) Twigga: (Chime in anyone with questions at any time) - my own to that is, what IS the educational endeavour of TotJO?
(14:37:41) Alexandre_Orion: the answer to that also seems to be, ironically : very little
(14:38:01) Alexandre_Orion: we come into the TotJO looking for something akin to self-empowerment
(14:38:46) Alexandre_Orion: to cultivate the openness toward wisdom
(14:39:00) Alexandre_Orion: to not feel that wisdom is a property one can possess
(14:39:15) Alexandre_Orion: no one "is" wise
(14:39:47) Alexandre_Orion: one may just be more or less predisposed to wisdom in certain contexts
(14:40:45) Twigga: So why is wisdom valuable then, if it's unattainable?
(14:41:07) Twigga: Why is it worth trying to teach it?
(14:42:16) Alexandre_Orion: one cannot really teach wisdom
(14:42:24) Alexandre_Orion: only how to be open to it
(14:43:19) Alexandre_Orion: that is by understanding what makes us closed to it
(14:44:11) Alexandre_Orion: the most certain blockage to any wisdom is thinking that one is already "wise"
(14:45:02) Twigga: An interesting trap to fall into! Coming back to your role here - I was surprised when it dawned on me that IP was part of a degree programme. Why is is that the A.Div is necessary for knighthood? Why aren't they just two separate things altogether?
(14:45:51) Alexandre_Orion: because the Apprenticeship to Knighthood does need a knowledge base ; it is one of our tenets –
(14:46:56) Alexandre_Orion: the degree aspect of Knighthood is to make sure that our Knights have enough theoretical foundation for taking perspective on the empirical
(14:47:19) Alexandre_Orion: theory and practice need to be close partenaires
(14:47:47) Twigga: And that sentence means... the one about perspectives on the empirical?
(14:48:26) Alexandre_Orion: we all tend to teach from experience
(14:48:32) Alexandre_Orion: that is the empirical
(14:48:37) Alexandre_Orion: and it is pretty sound
(14:48:39) Alexandre_Orion: but
(14:49:14) Alexandre_Orion: we can only teach from our own experience without a bit of study into the experiences, or the research, of others
(14:51:05) Twigga: Why is teaching, or the ability to teach, important?
(14:51:24) Alexandre_Orion: teaching is merely sharing
(14:51:34) Alexandre_Orion: sharing what one has learnt oneself
(14:51:45) Alexandre_Orion: (even the bits of it that is wrong)
(14:52:23) Alexandre_Orion: sharing the experience of re-learning with the learner (I really do not like the employ of the term 'student' in the TotJO)
(14:52:25) Rosalyn_J: True
(14:53:00) Alexandre_Orion: sharing the discovery that what we learnt wasn't right, or wasn't totally comprehensive
(14:53:30) Alexandre_Orion: reconciling what we think we know about the world to how the world really is
(14:54:25) Twigga: Is it possible to study for an A Div here without apprenticeship then?
(14:54:32) Alexandre_Orion: yes
(14:54:56) Twigga: How does that work?
(14:55:08) Alexandre_Orion: the degree is a pre-requisite for knighthood, but it can be pursued without the mentorship aspect of Apprenticeship
(14:55:19) Alexandre_Orion: one would just ask for lessons
(14:55:32) Alexandre_Orion: the curriculum is not set
(14:56:30) Twigga: Nice! I never knew that.
(14:56:32) Alexandre_Orion: it it were, it would be fixed for Apprentices too, which doesn't really work well with the instituition of apprenticeship : the learner getting the lesson s/he needs at the time
(14:56:47) Locksley: Why is that option available?
(14:57:21) Alexandre_Orion: as it were, for a learner who wanted only to pursue the degree, without becoming a knight later, just about any knight could offer a lesson
(14:57:48) Alexandre_Orion: 4the learner would just journal it as would an apprentice
(14:58:19) Twigga: But in the general forum, right?
(14:58:48) Alexandre_Orion: and then when 25 or so lessons had been done, we could evaluate the journal for awarding the degree (or not)
(14:59:05) Alexandre_Orion: yes, probably in the general forum
(14:59:20) Alexandre_Orion: although that could be done otherwise too
(14:59:50) Twigga: What happens after the ADiv?
(15:00:13) Alexandre_Orion: perhaps another forum added -- although there aren't too many who take the degree without apprenticeship
(15:00:24) Alexandre_Orion: after the ADiv is the BDiv
(15:00:39) Twigga: No apprenticeship there - how does it work?
(15:00:52) Alexandre_Orion: which consists in about the amount of study as two ADivs
(15:01:04) Alexandre_Orion: ...one moment please
(15:03:30) Twigga: ... *hopes it's nothing serious* ....
(15:03:33) Alexandre_Orion: ...back
(15:03:35) Alexandre_Orion: no
(15:04:06) Alexandre_Orion: not serious
(15:05:07) Alexandre_Orion: the BDiv is a continuation of the ADiv (for the moment - as I said, the curriculum is not set)
(15:05:29) Locksley: So, since the online medium is limited in a number of ways, what sort of things are looked for in journals (either for A.Div work of Apprentice-level work)? I mean, how can someone be judged , effectively, throughout their journal work as having reached a point of completion, especially when standardization of learning doesn't appear to be the focus here. What sort of rubrics exist (even ephemeral ones, lol)
(15:06:30) Locksley: An A.Div from an accredited institution would be at least two years of work, concentrating in a variety of subjects, for instance.
(15:08:03) Alexandre_Orion: good question, Locksley -- one thing that we would like to see happening is that in the beginning of a lesson entry one could describe why this lesson was taken, how the learner was to approach it and what happens as a result
(15:08:35) Alexandre_Orion: this makes judging the quality of a lesson a bit more apt, with more ample interpretations
(15:09:53) Alexandre_Orion: in that way, one may have a very successful lesson by discovering all they didn't know (and still do not) about the topic
(15:10:58) Alexandre_Orion: this is because in our postmodern, media-driven society, we tend to like to take on "lessons" that flatter what we want to think rather than those that challenge us
(15:11:46) Alexandre_Orion: the problem with standardisation of learning is that it assumes that everyone needs to learn the same things at the same time and in the same ways
(15:11:56) Alexandre_Orion: that is evidently untrue
(15:12:55) Twigga: And that would be something a knight/apprenticeship relationship would hope to tackle I suppose... How is that pressure to look into the "challenging" maintained with the BDiv?
(15:13:31) Alexandre_Orion: the challenging would be more intense in the BDiv
(15:14:03) Alexandre_Orion: ideally anyway
(15:14:08) Twigga: How does that work?
(15:15:04) Alexandre_Orion: not to say that the challenging should become a reductive string of questioning the questions to former questions ... ad absurdum ...
(15:15:46) Alexandre_Orion: but that many of the themes aborded in the ADiv could be revisited
(15:16:12) Alexandre_Orion: any convictions could be explored
(15:16:33) Twigga: Oh - like some knights choose to go through the IP a second time too?
(15:16:39) Alexandre_Orion: convictions are not necessarily good equiptment for people...
(15:16:49) Alexandre_Orion: the IP is a very good source
(15:17:40) Alexandre_Orion: the myth stuff -- it would be beneficial to go beyond Campbell with some of Campbell's sources and/or collaborators
(15:18:22) Twigga: So that's kinda where your "Flow-through vision" for education comes from then, from IP to B Div?
(15:19:29) Alexandre_Orion: Exactly -- much of the lesson work all the way through to the eventual MDiv could be as seen through the lense of the IP
(15:19:42) Alexandre_Orion: ...which we ought not get too far away from
(15:20:03) Alexandre_Orion: that is where we explore the Doctrine of the Temple too
(15:21:04) Twigga: Can you tell me some more about that? This is the first time the MDiv's been mentioned...
(15:22:14) Alexandre_Orion: We have always intended to offer degrees beyond the BDiv
(15:22:37) Alexandre_Orion: at one juncture, the MDiv was A&BDiv + Seminary
(15:22:49) Alexandre_Orion: yet, not everyone wants to become clergy
(15:23:19) Alexandre_Orion: as I see it, that isn't such a bad way to do it : one could study the Seminary without becoming a minister
(15:23:40) Alexandre_Orion: much in the same way that one could study the ADiv and not become a Knight
(15:24:03) Twigga: Right!
(15:24:13) Alexandre_Orion: indeed, one could take an Apprenticeship and decide against becoming a Knight
(15:24:31) Alexandre_Orion: But
(15:25:02) Alexandre_Orion: the thing to remember is not to be studying any of this stuff without having an idea about why one would like to learn it
(15:25:27) Alexandre_Orion: about accepting that some of the learning is going to seem counter-intuitive
(15:25:37) Alexandre_Orion: contradictory even
(15:26:26) Twigga: In what way?
(15:27:12) Alexandre_Orion: cultivating wisdom
(15:27:20) Alexandre_Orion: or humility
(15:27:23) Alexandre_Orion: or charity
(15:28:08) Alexandre_Orion: one cannot "claim" the characteristic that one is pursuing
(15:28:57) Alexandre_Orion: another may think that what I accomplish in a particular moment is wise -- yet, if I find my act wise myself, then it is foolish
(15:29:02) Alexandre_Orion: as am I
(15:29:41) Twigga: Any more questions anyone?
(15:29:55) Alexandre_Orion: or, in an encounter, I mwy be deemed humble, but if I myself am proud of my humility, then it is conceit
(15:30:06) Alexandre_Orion: et ainsi de suite
(15:30:07) Twigga:
(15:30:57) Twigga: Have you any advice for knights, who are now taking on the role of teachers, possibly for the first time?
(15:31:36) Alexandre_Orion: Yes -- talk with your learners sincerely and often
(15:31:47) Alexandre_Orion: be more of a mentor than a "teacher"'
(15:32:18) Alexandre_Orion: accept that it is a sharing experience, not a superior/subordinate one
(15:32:48) Alexandre_Orion: and that there is no pedagogical tool more effective than "care"
(15:33:02) Alexandre_Orion: love what you are sharing
(15:33:09) Alexandre_Orion: love who you are sharing it with
(15:33:19) Alexandre_Orion: the rest is merely detail...
(15:33:44) Twigga: Have you any advice for knights working out how to tackle their B.Div learning?
(15:33:44) Locksley: "and that there is no pedagogical tool more effective than 'care'" oooh, I love that. Gonna quote you on that.
(15:34:12) Alexandre_Orion: Thank you, Locksley
(15:34:55) Alexandre_Orion: and yes -- for Knights working out how to tackle the BDiv : ...continue "apprenticeship" but as a knight
(15:35:03) Alexandre_Orion: continue to work with a mentor
(15:35:56) Twigga: Have you any advice for Initiates helping each other through IP?
(15:36:04) Alexandre_Orion: but someone else who can suggest what lesson to take, why you need to take it and how to approach it
(15:37:29) Alexandre_Orion: yes, Initiates ought to be solidaire in their learning
(15:37:48) Alexandre_Orion: *they ought to rely on apprentices and knights for guidance
(15:38:08) Twigga: Nice.
(15:38:25) Alexandre_Orion: they ought to take it slow and not come to any conclusions
(15:38:41) Alexandre_Orion: there will be other conclusions in other circumstances
(15:39:10) Twigga: like?
(15:40:19) Alexandre_Orion: since myth is allegory for circumstances of life, it would be difficult to give a blanket "like"
(15:41:46) Alexandre_Orion: the dynamism of the subconscious will be adaptive to what the conscious mind is busy reconciling the absurdities of
(15:42:28) Twigga: With the academic standards of the temple meeting people from all walks of life, are there sometimes insurmountable impasses to progression?
(15:43:09) Alexandre_Orion: insurmountable, ... probably not
(15:44:17) Twigga: but?
(15:44:46) Alexandre_Orion: there are some for whom it will require a little more desperation before they are willing to drill through all the illusion of the hyper-real
(15:45:04) Alexandre_Orion: (I'll let Ros tell you what I mean by that)
(15:45:47) Twigga: Hopefully she will tell us about that in the thread after this transcript is posted.
(15:46:31) Twigga: I could carry on inventing questions, but I understand that it is evening - dinner time - where you are...?
(15:46:41) Alexandre_Orion: actually, she's going to kill me for putting her on the spot like that (she's one of my most earnest apprentices)
Then she'll tell you about it
(15:46:42) Alexandre_Orion:
(15:47:01) Alexandre_Orion: yes, it is nearly dinner time
(15:47:14) Alexandre_Orion: roasted chicken and ratatouille
(15:47:18) Alexandre_Orion:
(15:47:30) Locksley: Baudrillard!
(15:47:33) Locksley: This was great.
(15:47:37) Locksley: Thanks for taking the time.
(15:47:46) Twigga: If there are no more questions, I will thank you very much for your time, and everyone for coming!

*Note: Times are given in Newfoundland Standard Time. That's GMT - 2:30
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Raxicorico.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi