Offline, Online... and between it all? Balance.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317677 by

Arisaig wrote: But I have been noticing that this place can be quite draining in extended doses

....And I find life to be quite draining to deal with, so I come on here and other places (Like my stories and Just Jedi) to catch a "Breather" from real world juggling acts.

^_^ Everyone experiences things so differently! Clearly I was born in the wrong genre....why couldn't I be a cat girl in a fantasy realm??? :-p haha

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317680 by
Perhaps I am the odd one out. I don't see this Temple as much more than a tool to connect spiritually and to learn. The roles we have here are typically either working on ourselves or aiding others in their own pursuit. Like Ari, I'll check throughout the day and if I can't add anything I won't.
I also chat with my apprentices, check in on some folks, and then I have my lessons. This isn't even including the council communications that occur daily, moderation, or my time consuming career. There might be times when I don't post for days on the actual forums.
My biggest focus is my family and implementing what I have learned into my life. Often times it is difficult to find balance for me.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317682 by Rosalyn J
This has the potential to be a great discussion. Just a gentle reminder that we discuss ideas.

As it were, I think the (re)discovery of balance is a constant work.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Locksley, Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317683 by

JLSpinner wrote: My biggest focus is my family and implementing what I have learned into my life. Often times it is difficult to find balance for me.

But see....saying things like this makes it seem like you feel others who are very active online....dont.

Family is everything to me. And I am always focused on them. I am always learning. Training. Teaching. And yet I find plenty of time to be regular on here and other places + Jedi Service on top. The internet is right here at my finger tips at all hours of my day and I am pretty good at multi tasking. Dosn't mean I am any less or more of one thing or another. :) I don't see it as a balancing act. It is just what I am able to do and it is quality to me either way. But thats me.

Your not the odd one out. You just have your way that makes you, you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #317687 by
But that would be an assumption with nothing to base it on. I was simply saying what my focus is with no insinuation about anybody but myself. This is where we should ask for clarification. I hold no expectations for anyone other than myself.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317692 by

JLSpinner wrote: But that would be an assumption with nothing to base it on. I was simply saying what my focus is with no insinuation about anybody but myself. This is where we should ask for clarification. I hold no expectations for anyone other than myself.

Absolutely. And somewhat of what Im trying to get at :) Assumptions are going to be made and it is because of these assumptions that we lose our focus and start asking questions like the OP. So, instead of asking how we can balance our online or offline in ourselves (or others) perhaps a better question would be: How can we reconcile our assumptions? How can we accept what we can't see or know? How can we get to know eachother in a way to understand there actions? So forth and so on. Focus on what we have in the now rather then things we can't understand or control. You see?

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #317693 by OB1Shinobi
EDIT: this is not directed at any specific person (unless the shoe fits)

Heres how you reconcile the two: mind your own behavior. Remember that there is ONE PERSON whose internet habits are your business or responsibility, and its YOU.
Go be a Jedi in your own life, whatever you think that means. Do your best to carry yourself as a Jedi here. You will enjoy this place a lot mroe when you dont need it to fill your own need for social belonging, and when you have enough of your own life going on that you can maintain some emotional distance.

Accept the reality that other people are flawed. Focus on your own behavior and let go of the hope that others are going to behave the way you want them to. Dont socialize with anyone you dont wish to socialize with. Dont participate in discussions you dont approve of. Dont add your own immaturity and negativity to an immature or negative discussion. Give people honest feedback about how theyr effecting you, but keep it limited to what is actually necessary (dont "twist the knife" with personal attacks) and accept that they probably arent going to change just because you say something. If you cant apply that Jedi kindness and empathy to those people who get on your nerves, then you cant apply it at all. Not really. And besides, those are the ones who need it the most.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

More
6 years 1 month ago #317695 by Proteus
The way we're talking about these kinds of things gives the impression of two questions in principle:

Is one being more of a Jedi if they dedicate their time contributing to an online Jedi community?

Is one being more of a Jedi if they dedicate their time contributing to an offline cause?

But... are we sure we aren't getting hung up on the "Is one being more of a Jedi if..." part?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3

More
6 years 1 month ago #317696 by Carlos.Martinez3

Rosalyn J wrote: This has the potential to be a great discussion. Just a gentle reminder that we discuss ideas.

As it were, I think the (re)discovery of balance is a constant work.

This is one of my main focus s currently. The ability to leave room to go back to myself and my own focus. Some see it as sharpening your edge and some see it as re breathing. Leaving room to do it is - in a nut shell - leaving room to get hurt. ( for me) I remember I had a teacher/instructor who taught me my balance I have now - how did he give me a actual physical balance I hold to this day? ( glad u asked). Jk! But he put me on a 4x4 cedar posts and threw balls at me - tennis balls that is. The constant un balance gave me the foundation which I hold to this day all that to say this - a balance can be practiced - but --- that's just it--- we gotta be thrown off and dodge and re balance and use it in the conditions we hope to be able to stand. I, just now have got to the point that I can - productively log on and off and be a council member and a knight and a husband and a dad and a friend and a lover and me ... 5 years .... of falling and staying on too long or not enough and over balance an under balance a jiggle here a fall there ---- always leave room for the "home" the re center. Doesn't matter how many time ya fall off or over compensatenor under mind - get back up and re focus. Each of us can do it on our own accord. Each of us can have our own balance. Seek it ! Expect to fall - seek it - expect to be sore - seek it - expect to not find it - seek it - expect to find it. Seek and leave room to come back to you . Have a home or a place to fall in or too so you can re focus . This is my encouragment Jedi. Be your Jedi - be your definition as I am mine - and togeather we can be ... Jedi togeather !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, rugadd

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317708 by

Proteus wrote: The way we're talking about these kinds of things gives the impression of two questions in principle:

Is one being more of a Jedi if they dedicate their time contributing to an online Jedi community?

Is one being more of a Jedi if they dedicate their time contributing to an offline cause?

But... are we sure we aren't getting hung up on the "Is one being more of a Jedi if..." part?

I think the answer to both those is simple. You're a Jedi if you focus your attentions where it's needed. There is no "more" or "less" with Jedi (dangerous to think that way, would create elitism). Sometimes more attention is needed online, sometimes less. But being active in both, I think, is important.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi