Motivation: You’re Doing It Wrong

More
6 years 2 months ago #316075 by Manu
What follows is a reposting of an article from Nerd Fitness. Me like-y, me share-y. :laugh:

I recommend reading it at the original site, as it has images and nice formatting. Original here: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/motivation-youre-doing-it-wrong/

Warning: Spoiler!

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, thomaswfaulkner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316081 by
Thanks for posting! I've been a member for a few years now and I've found Nerd Fitness to be a very good resource for how to get fit, eat better and improve your life in general.

More
6 years 2 months ago #316106 by Adder
Yea its like some sort of behavioural mimicry thing happening, which is a real thing!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimicry/
Its probably interpreted as successful and then we have a crack at it, and if not getting immediate results get distracted by something else to mimic - just because they are all fleeting moments flashed across our eyes and based on nothing else.
The antidote perhaps is having your own firm 'path' based on a solid foundation of integration of skills, trainings, and strategies! :D
I made the most progress in my physical training back in the day when I drew up a month long daily training schedule and stuck it on the fridge, it really allowed me to construct my other tasks around that and they all worked together to generate motivation by amping the coherency of efforts ie being on task all the time, just in different integrated ways.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316136 by
People get inspired by great results and stories, but the results themselves aren't what make people great. What makes people great is the commitment to what they do day in and day out until it's done. As Usain Bolt says "the competition is the easy part, behind the scenes is where the work is done".

Will Smith on building a wall : "You don't set out to build the biggest baddest greatest wall that's ever been built. You dont' start there. You say "I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid, there will not be one brick on the face of the earth that's gonna be laid better than this brick that I'm gonna lay in the next 10 minutes. And you do that every single day until you have a wall."

Currently I'm learning French and writing a novel, but I try not to distract myself by thinking about becoming fluent or publishing. I try to learn some French words everyday and write one page a day. If I do that everyday then pretty soon I'm going to be fluent and a published author.

Another way of adding accountability is to tell as many people as you can what you want to do. The more people holding you to account over your actions the more likely you'll be to perform those actions and earn the result you want. You not only achieve something you've always wanted, but you avoid the psychological pressure in the future of being "that person who said they were going to achieve this and that but gave up."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316140 by
Akkarin said

Another way of adding accountability is to tell as many people as you can what you want to do. The more people holding you to account over your actions the more likely you'll be to perform those actions and earn the result you want. You not only achieve something you've always wanted, but you avoid the psychological pressure in the future of being "that person who said they were going to achieve this and that but gave up."

That is why i loved the 90 and 30 day challenges here in the Forums , they were and are a fun and great way to get people to work out or just to take better care of themselves. We dont need to be perfect but its wise to keep challenging oneself to go just that one more step , just that little one , preferably every day. And i do understand why we feel we fail , but as long as we keep trying to achieve what we want to achieve and know when to give up , how can one fail ?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316180 by
Akkarin- I heard something slightly different to your point about accountability. There is a possibility of gaining a pyschological reward from telling people of what you *want to do* and feeling as if you've already made progress (when you haven't yet). Having a regular person who you tell what you're doing (notice this is a present ongoing thing and regular) is more likely to work favourably and to keep you accountable (than telling lots of people but not regularly giving feedback on how it's going).

I thought this was worth pointing out, :)

More
6 years 2 months ago #316196 by Manu

Vusuki wrote: Akkarin- I heard something slightly different to your point about accountability. There is a possibility of gaining a pyschological reward from telling people of what you *want to do* and feeling as if you've already made progress (when you haven't yet). Having a regular person who you tell what you're doing (notice this is a present ongoing thing and regular) is more likely to work favourably and to keep you accountable (than telling lots of people but not regularly giving feedback on how it's going).

I thought this was worth pointing out, :)

It's a very good observation. Ramit Sethi, a finance blogger, writes about this when he talks about people venturing into the entrepreneur world. They will purchase a domain, spend hours setting up the website, create a Facebook Fan Page, Twitter and Instagram social presence for their new venture, and they feel all excited and happy and accomplished because of everything they are getting done.

Except that they don't focus on what they actually need: finding paying customers.

He calls this falling for abstractions, which is basically creating a sense of false acomplishment by becoming busy on activities that do not generate value, rather than focus on the ones that do.

- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #316199 by Adder
False seems a bit harsh. Accomplishment still exists there. No need to torture oneself unnecessarily. Turning out to be a false expectation yea, but the result is not without all value hardly ever, unless pleasing oneself is the only thing being sought. For its still progress of a kind, and can be seen as that, having its own value...... its just that the output and learnings are a bit divorced from the motivation (and other inputs) and effort. The disappointment felt represents the difference perhaps, so identify it, value what you have, and move forward I say!! #eternaloptimist

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #316236 by
I think there's a tendency to confuse "motivation" with "enthusiasm": and that's to be expected because the motivational industry is worth a lot of $, but the 'enthusiasm industry' doesn't have the same ring to it.

As I see it, "enthusiasm" is the excitement that gives you the energy to get started on something new. "Motivation" is the personal connection to what you are doing: the 'why' it is a priority for you. "Discipline" is the process of training our mind to examine our motivations each time we're presented with a choice and "commitment" is choosing the option that brings us closer to your priorities every time - even when things get tough.

More
6 years 2 months ago #316258 by Manu

Dano Ori wrote: I think there's a tendency to confuse "motivation" with "enthusiasm": and that's to be expected because the motivational industry is worth a lot of $, but the 'enthusiasm industry' doesn't have the same ring to it.

As I see it, "enthusiasm" is the excitement that gives you the energy to get started on something new. "Motivation" is the personal connection to what you are doing: the 'why' it is a priority for you. "Discipline" is the process of training our mind to examine our motivations each time we're presented with a choice and "commitment" is choosing the option that brings us closer to your priorities every time - even when things get tough.

Yes! I love the distinction. I tend to refer to connecting with the why "focus", but it is the same principal you describe. :)

- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi