What can Jedi do to battle the violence?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315698 by
I think the most important thing is to not be one-sided in looking at the issues, problems and possible solutions. I've been a part of three communities hit by (multiple) school shootings, and what's as bad, if not worse, than the horror of the actual event is the rabid fighting and finger pointing that starts immediately upon the first report. It tears me up whenever these things happen because it's not just the vivid memory of what it's like to be "that community", but because you have to brace for the now-routine firestorm that follows. All the while knowing that it's a reaction to the crisis du jour and that the fighting isn't going to get anything done, or do anything for the communities that suffer from violence routinely but never get sympathetic coverage. Violence is built on layers of other violence, and it's not going to be changed by the kind of simple fixes that usually get tossed around.

I've heard a lot of people over the years talk about what should be done without any experience of what it's like to be in those kind of situations, and a lot of it is more fantasy than reality. I know exactly how long it takes me to retrieve a gun from a secured location, ready it and fire with accuracy, and I know that wouldn't be remotely useful in the circumstances I used to face. The only realistic thing I could do was prepare myself to hit the panic button no matter what and scream for those down the hall to run or take cover. The thing that kept me safe from that scenario was a competent and well-funded Threat Assessment team and intervention program, and a lot of the budget makers want to replace that funding with something more ideologically satisfying to their voter base.

I feel like those of us who are called to be peacemakers and problem solvers as part of our mission in the world (however you conceptualize that) need to stay above the reactionary rhetoric. I don't see any one thing, any specific action, that can be done - it's more who you become and the kind of work you do all the time. Get involved in any community action to prevent violence that you can, whether it's mentoring, anti-bullying work, outreach, poverty reduction, mental health advocacy, working between the lines of conflict, etc. See how violence is connected to larger systems or issues, and push for whatever changes are needed. Wherever you work or live or spend most of your time, do a preparedness review for any sort of emergency and figure out the best way you can intervene. Talk across ideological lines to people who will likewise be facing the situation and listen to what they need and what their concerns are in how to respond to emergencies. Get whatever appropriate training results from those conversations and your realistic assessment of your skills to find ways to improve your ability to intervene, in whatever way is right for you. Prepare yourself to deal with worst case scenarios, but be prepared to deal with the fact that no situation will likely go down like you imagine it will.

Frankly, some of the most hopeful solutions on the school shooting issue that I've been a part of have been community dialogues that pulled in law enforcement officers, teachers, parents, and students as community members rather than their usual roles and divisions, and by some miracle got an honest and open conversation - and listening - going about how scary life in the schools had become (even in a so-called "peaceful" town with a crime rate in the lowest quarter of the country's average). People realized that a lot of the real problems were ones that no one wanted to talk about, while the usual conversations that sucked up all the debate energy really had little to do with the main sources of danger.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by . Reason: typo; clarificaiton

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315701 by
Thank you for sharing that post, Reacher. I've seen similar perspectives, but seldom as well reasoned as this.

Warning: Spoiler!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315702 by
Crazy people do crazy things and are unpredictable. It seems modern civilization is alienating people. They're lonely, unconnected, feel unappreciated, frustrated, angry and this builds tension that explodes into violence. Random violence. Shit happens and we can't do anything about it. We have to pick up the pieces and bravely trudge on and not let our fears and anxieties get the best of us.

What can we do? Learn from it. Plug the holes in the system even though more holes will always occur. Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Call the authorities and report strange happenings and people. Don't wait until it's too late. Be a good neighbor and watch out for others.

Right now, console they victims circle of family and friends, if you are close. The rest of us can console those close to us that are: nervous, scared or anxious about random violence. Help them feel calm, relaxed and peaceful. Pray.

Me? I am prepared to act if an event like this occurs near me. I believe it only take a split second to distract, interrupt and discourage an attacker. Maybe not stop the violence but maybe minimize the damage and save a few lives. If I can't I'll run, hide or, fight.

Don't surrender to terror. Don't let it ruin you emotions and mind. Live well and be happy.

I know, it's not an answer to your question but I've had a chance to reflect on it and it's the best I got right now.

Thank you for asking the question.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315724 by
I'm glad this thread as been so well mannered, I'm sure we all have opinions on policies etc. but none of those things have impeded us here from seeing each one here as normal humans and not as enemies.

It is a breath of fresh air and calm compared to facebook and other social media.

Applauds all around!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315733 by

Kobos wrote: So, there was a time in which these happenings were very rare and yes they did happen, one difference between society now ad back then? People were courteous in a way, don't just walk past your neighbor say hi, have a conversation with them. do they seem like something is wrong, ask them. You have to at least know someone to know if they are a threat. This isn't going to stop these things but heck it would probably help a bit.

The man that walked to the Golden gate bridge and told himself, if no one says hi to him on the walk, then it will be time to throw himself from the bridge.

I honestly see this instance as a community failure. Everyone saw it coming, they even predicted he would do it. So how was it able to actually happen? Because IMO the kid probably felt a need to live up to this expectation that the community was placing on him. No one took the time to help this kid see he could be better than that.

Would that have stopped this from happening, idk, but as an effort it would have been very impactful. I feel this is where we are losing these people. Can we say hi to a stranger and inturn help them feel less invisible?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315743 by
Time to make a difference. Every penny helps. We can't go back and stop it... but we can help them move forward.

Stoneman Douglas Victims' Fund

More
6 years 2 months ago #315745 by Carlos.Martinez3
How to battle the violence ? I've thought hard about this one friend. How do I do it ?

The funny thing about the Force is today there exist everything . Today some one will die - today some one will be born. Today some one will win - some one will loose. Some one will be up - some one will be down. If aouround my self with doom and gloom too often that's where my focus will be - seeking that, searching for that. You will find it . Or - to combat the violence one can fill your day to day with hope and love and seek that. The world is crazy yes, but it's also wonderful and scary and freaky and Wet and dry and deep and high... today I challenge you Jedi - what you looking at today? Combat the violence with me ?
Seek out the good or the other options. Bad things happen. Don't look for em- don't look away either but don't camp right in the mist - there you may stay .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315746 by

Arisaig wrote: Time to make a difference. Every penny helps. We can't go back and stop it... but we can help them move forward.

Stoneman Douglas Victims' Fund

I prefer to volunteer time to money simply due to the fact I really don't know where it goes, but in all for helping how I can.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315754 by
I find that the personal things we do are the ones that help the most. Volunteering time tends to be more rewarding than donating money, but time is tough for everyone to be able to donate. Do what you can.

Be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of the people you engage with in your life. Genuinely care about others and ask them how they are. Mean it! Be interested, not dismissive. Look people in the eyes and say good morning/afternoon. Notice the small shifts and changes in personalities. Do not dismiss the little things. All of these small things can influence and help in small ways in your local communities. These things may prevent tragedy form striking in your neighbourhoods.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315760 by
I would still say that the "peace and love" approach will do nothing in the long run. Any small efforts like saying hi or asking if things are all right to strangers will never alleviate years of loneliness and perceived abuse. What if I don't like the person? Why would I want to spend time with them? Best efforts will never be implemented if one is not invested in this way. Instead off all this discussion on trying to connect to a person that "might be dangerous" or trying to get them help for a crime they have not even committed yet all "minority report" style, why are we not discussing more practical solutions that will actually be effective in protecting people?

Basic building security for example?
- locking facilities down so there are only single points of egress and ingress that are manned by armed security
- security badges for authorized persons that are checked by those armed security before entry is granted
- those same badges can be used as controlled entry points to classrooms once access to the building granted
- an alarm system for emergencies that locks doors from the outside and can only be opened from inside
- having multiple ways out of a classroom - the door or through a window - similar to a fire escape
- armed security that protect parking lots and other areas (retired military or police like was said earlier)
- and even have a weapon for protection in the classrooms. how about tazers?

As part of my job I implement building security systems all the time. In fact I have worked at a university and done this very thing. Its not that complicated and its highly effective. I just dont see why we cant do these things for our children!! It seems way more practical and effective than saying hi to some goofball stranger and then "hoping for the best"!!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi