What can Jedi do to battle the violence?

More
6 years 2 months ago #315869 by rugadd
I haven't read anything, so this is a virgin post based on the OP.

Educate our youth on the dangers of firearms. Educate them on their use. Reinforce a respect for life. Draw closer together as communities and offer support to anyone who is having a hard time.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #315884 by JamesSand
Heh, "Mental Health Issues"

Who's mentally healthy?

We have a massive problem with emotional development at the moment, and there is a trend towards it not being the individuals responsibility to be able to deal with a wide range of emotional situations and to make everyone else responsible for catering to their narrow emotional range.

Everyone knows the trauma from bullet wounds kills. Educating that seems pointless.

Not everyone knows that you can be cut off in traffic, or called fat, or miss out on a cheap vacuum cleaner and that you can just take a breath and let it go

for some reason, some people think that it is worthwhile carrying that shit, blaming someone else for your internal struggle, and then going out and killing them because that might make it go away.

These are people who are, at first glance, probably "not crazy"
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315960 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: You are right, there is definitely a trade off of convenience for security. Its a balancing act that must always be considered. I worked in airports for years and in those environments security is paramount over convenience. It was extremely hard to get around and any violation was met with instant and fierce reaction. Of course the environment of a school probably could not handle such strict security measures as an airport but I believe that more could be done in the future to better secure them than is being done today.

If only we considered and treated our children more like our aircraft this would be the case...

A deadly circle of which is more important, safety or convenience. We see it all over the place as laws get past to help protect us but hinder our normal way of life. They then get altered to appease convenience at the cost of some safety. It is a never ending circle where no one will be happy.

Lets just imagine that gun controls get put into effect that make it illegal for anyone to own a gun, then someone attacks you with a gun. You survive and ask the question why did this person have a gun, I can't own one, If I did though I would have been able to fight back...

People who support total gun control really just boggle my mind, you do know that the bad guys don't care what is law right? Places with strict gun laws have more gun violence because the bad guys know no one can hinder them.

If we considered schools like banks, all our savings in one place. Or if we considered our children like a jewelry store, they are all gems that should be out of reach of villains. Or maybe we should consider our children like politicians who have numerous security personnel watching over just them. Maybe the FUTURE should be considered a treasure that needs to be safeguarded from marauders.

We all have crazy moments, we all have outbursts that we wish we could take back. We all have done something really stupid and most likely learned something from it. Its not a mental health issue unless you cannot contain those demons from acting out on your behalf. Almost every person in the world restrains themselves in many many ways from doing what they feel like doing because they know it is improper to act so. People who don't care about anyone else's feelings or perspective are a problem. And that is how we can sometimes get when we are mad and somewhat out of control. How many times have you said, "No, I don't care what anyone else thinks..." Probably more times than you care to mention. It not that you don't have a right to feel that way, but you don't actually have a right to act this way.

Your rights stop when someone else's are infringed upon!

IMO, innocent until proven guilty should only apply when there is reasonable doubt that the act was committed or that he/she committed the act. If you are caught red handed, with your hand in the cookie jar, or with your pants down, (whatever simile you want to add here) you should be guilty until proven innocent. Everyone gets their day in court but how the court proceedings go are based on the facts in place. If you are guilty until proven innocent, and not found to be innocent in the court, you are done and your rights should be stripped away based on the infraction you have committed. If you are innocent until proven guilty, he said she said, incredible witness, act not witnessed, etc. and you are proven guilty, then sure you can get some appeals. Guilty until proven innocent would only occur in cases that multiple sources saw or can show someone at the scene or you are arrested in the act of the offense. So most trials would proceed as innocent until proven guilty.

An accessory to a crime is still a criminal in my eyes. I feel we need to get away from the "snitches get stitches" concept. But not that we go around tattling on everyone like we are 3 years old, we need to be the snitches on ourselves. Take responsibility for your faults. Failure is the best teacher, I believe Yoda put it something like that. But you can only learn when you accept that you have failed. You will never learn anything from your failure, when it is someone else's fault!

I have disarmed many superiors by admitting that I made a mistake before they hear it from any other source. When they do hear it the second time, it isn't that shocking. Admitting that you have the feeling that you want to kill someone will not stop you from acting on it, you have to learn a better way to deal with that feeling. If you blame your feeling on someone else, you are more likely to act against them when they don't stop their behavior. Your feelings are YOURS not THEIRS.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315961 by

Manami wrote: I also wanted to share this program's work, for any who haven't heard about it: http://www.thegreendragons.com/ . It's exactly the kind of long range investment in community spirit, child/youth development, and real world problem solving that we need more of....and I don't think it would be a big reach to see a Jedi-based effort like this. :)

I would actually love to have the Jedi Academy Temple.as a K-12 higher learning facility that utilizes the the Service Corps as well for a self sufficient society.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315973 by

Manami wrote: I also wanted to share this program's work, for any who haven't heard about it: http://www.thegreendragons.com/ . It's exactly the kind of long range investment in community spirit, child/youth development, and real world problem solving that we need more of....and I don't think it would be a big reach to see a Jedi-based effort like this. :)

I adore what these folks have done. Thank you, Manami, for calling our attention to this; yes, this is exactly what an organized Jedi-based effort could do.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi