Vulcans versus Romulans - Jedi or Sith?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #312455 by
So I was contemplating something the other day and a thought struck me. I began to think about how similar the Vulcan and Romulan races from Star Trek might be in relation to the Jedi and the Sith. I thought it might be a fun exercise to ask some questions to everyone about your thoughts on the similarities and differences you might see as well. In the hidden text below are descriptions of the Vulcan and the Romulan races and their basic philosophies.

If you like, make replies here on the following questions:

1. If you had to choose a race, either Vulcan or Romulan, which one would you choose to represent and why?
2. Why not the other? Or would you combine aspects of both and if so why?
3. What similarities do you see between these two races and the Jedi and Sith? What differences?[/li]

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #312476 by Adder
Duh, got my Klingon and Romulan mixed up :S

Dunno about Romulans, but Klingons is easy. Anyway, edited original to make sense..... Klingon v Sith = gorging v feeding. I need to watch more of it, but I'm not sure the Klingon's have enough guts to make the self sacrifices required to achieve the type of progress the Sith seek. As I think they think too highly of themselves as is, and instead prefer to risk it all on haphazard plundering ie greed and factionalism, while a Sith might be defined as instead using guile.

The difference between the Jedi and Vulcans might perhaps be that the Jedi relate to the Force through feeling, using logic as a scaffold to distribute energy into purpose - something the Sith do also but with different shaped scaffolding ie slightly less logic to use feelings more eg emotions).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #312486 by
While both races have their strengths and weaknesses, I would have to choose Vulcan. During the show and movies Romulans have showed a proclivity for isolationism and conflict. They cause unnecessary death and destruction, though this could be because of that isolationist view. When you remove your social circle from the realms of others, you lose sight of their humanity (for lack of better word) and worth. I wouldn’t want to be that flippant with the lives of others.
The Vulcans aren't perfect though. Historically they too have catered some isolationist views. Their biggest folly is of course hubris. It’s very common for a Vulcan to view other races as inferior, even if they still treat them with respect. This hindered diplomatic relations for quite some time.
Something of the Romulans that I admire though is their technological advancement. With a limited resource pool they, as a race, have a huge disadvantage in terms of research and development. Yet they are constantly pushing the limits of what science can do. This shows a great discipline in efficiency, sacrifice, and priority.

Edit:
A little off subject but I once read a comparison of Vulcan/Romulans with Timelords/Daleks. It's interesting to see similar beliefs/archs displayed through very different stories.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago #312492 by Manu
I am not very acquainted with Star Trek, but based on the descriptions, I'd have to go for Romulan. The whole repressing sexual urges doesn't sit well with me. :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #312505 by OB1Shinobi
Blasphemy considering the setting but ST was x100 better writing (and acting) that SW.

And im gonna go with Vulcans cause i like being smart, and the crazy sex orgies sound dope B)

EDIT
I mis-remembered, there are no orgies :-(
But the irony of the original comment is unintentionally hilarious, so i will leave it. Perhaps it was the Force punishing me lol.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #312524 by
@Adder, yes you are right, the Klingons are the galactic “bulls in the china shop”. They are very much a warrior society that is based on feudalism and focuses on conquest. That’s why I picked the Romulans. Even though they appear similar to Klingons on the surface they are actually quite different. Theirs is not a military society but one more of master and slave morality. They value accomplishment over failure in any aspect of life and those that can achieve no matter the cost are revered. Because of this they have no qualms with deviousness and subterfuge.

@JLspinner, yes the Romulans are very much isolationists. They believe in the superiority of their own race over others and therefore do not like to associate with so called lesser races. They believe that they have been chosen as the caretakers (rulers) of the entire universe by divine decree. Vulcans on the other hand are very much about interracial diversity so for them it’s not about hubris in their belief that their race is superior. However they do look down on others that lack logic. They believe the embracing of emotion is beneath them.

@Manu, between the Jedi and the Sith which do you more closely identify with?

@OB1, Well I have never been one to stand on tradition! ;) , yea no orgies but you get to revel in sexual craziness!... but only once every 7 years… :(

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #312528 by
If I'm honest with myself, Romulan. I didn't have to reflect very much to come to that conclusion, simply because I've had to work on not letting my emotions get the better of my actions, and I tend to take action with singleminded dedication to the task (when I'm not getting distracted).

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #312530 by Zenchi
Human, probably raised by Vulcans, but fluent in Klingon and we'll versed in their traditions...

The other races are too extreme in their perspectives for my taste personally...

Attachment Screenshot_20180118-175430_20180118175539797.jpg not found

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, ,

More
6 years 3 months ago #312533 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: @Manu, between the Jedi and the Sith which do you more closely identify with?

I have not read the Legends books, so going off the movies, I most closely identify with ROTJ Luke Skywalker (a bit unsure of myself at times, whiny - but not as much as the previous movies - capable of great anger if you mess with my family, but in general calm and collected).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312878 by
I would be Spock with a dash of Kirk.