The Philosophy of Stuff n Thangs

More
6 years 2 months ago #311122 by MadHatter
Funny thing about memory is shown in the lyrics to the song " I remember it well " by Eydie Gorme & Steve Lawrence

We met at nine, we met at eight, I was on time, no, you were late
Ah, yes, I remember it well
We dined with friends, we dined alone, a tenor sang, a baritone
That dazzling April moon, there was none that night
And the month was June, that's right, that's right
It warms my heart to know that you remember still the way you do
How often I've thought of that Friday, Monday night
When we had our last rendezvous
And somehow I foolishly wondered if you might
By some chance be thinking of it too?
That carriage ride, you walked me home
You lost a glove, aha, it was a comb
That brilliant sky, we had some rain
Those Russian songs from sunny Spain
You wore a gown of gold, I was all in blue
Am I getting old? Oh, no, not you
How strong you were, how young and gay
A prince of love in every way

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #311149 by
Replied by on topic The Philosophy of Stuff n Thangs

Flojade wrote: I wish not to confuse you any further if you find what I wrote is nonsense.
I can see many of your posts are confrontatiinal. Confrontation is heat and heat is movement. You are circulating the force around the temple allowing balance to meet its every corner and I thank you for that.

Your post did not confuse me. Why are you in a thread to discuss ideas if you are unwilling to actually discuss anything?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #311155 by
Funny (at least it is now!) illustration: Back in my days with a certain controversial organization, we had a member going through a nasty divorce that ended up in court, with neighbors providing testimony as character witnesses. Around the time all of this was going on, the family's cat got sick and had to go to the vet for a procedure that caused the kitty to come home partially shaved. In the court proceedings, one of the witnesses for the non-member spouse testified that they had seen the member in the backyard shaving the cat as part of some diabolical ceremony. While their "memory" didn't hold up under questioning, the person insisted that they had witnessed the event, described it in detail, and – until forced to critically examine it - accepted and shared it as a memory rather than an imagined event. (We nicknamed this the "Shaving Cats For Satan Effect.")

While this situation was likely mitigated by many factors (the person's mental state, whether they are willing to lie to "win", etc.), it's something I encounter repeatedly while working as a historian with public memory, especially when recall of traumatic events is involved, or in situations of mass hysteria. But even on an ordinary, personal level, we rewrite and "tweak" our memories as part of the ongoing way we order information and make sense of the world, and quite frequently it’s done on a subconscious level even before we know that there’s a choice that can be made about it. Memory is a fluid construct – a narrative of the past that may only partially involve a rational, objective understanding of what actually happened. Recall of known information is only one aspect of it, and even then, the instrumental value of it depends on the quality of the information itself, how much of it is verified and how much is just belief. Part of the value of critical thinking is being able to insert a “gap” in that process to allow for new information or a conscious revision of what is in our heads about it.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by . Reason: minor edit for clarity

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #311179 by
Our mind developed over the last million years. Its a beautiful thing and an amazing machine. The problem is we think we are our mind or brain or thoughts. While it is a part of us its not us entirely. Same with our feelings and emotions they are a part of us but we are not them. But strange things happen to people when their thoughts combined with emotions take over their behavior.

It is very important to understand both of them as information. Without our mind we couldn't survive a day and without our feeling we would hurt our self and don't feel it. But if we get overwhelmed by them we cannot function while if we just observe them we can accept them, to really feel them and to really think them.

For example you break your arm, now you could scream and run around hysterically which will make the whole situation worst or you could feel your arm, the pain and emotions and think consciously what to do next. Then while waiting for help to arrive you can sit there acknowledging the pain but without freaking out. This will help your arm enormous.
Other one: if you go in the cold water if you try to fight against the cold and get stressful your body loses just more heat, in this moment you try to suppress your feelings. But if you acknowledge your feelings and just watch them you can stay in there for quite a long time, your body works much better.

So its not about not using it or becoming a monkey again but to learn to see them as what they are and as what they are not.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #311195 by
Well Kyrin, I would answer to you that life in the relative world might be a paradoxal state objective and subjective at the same time. In this relative world, things would exist and would not as in an overlapping state.

For example, we can all talk about a vase being on a table and describe very similar caracteristics of it. However, no one can perceive it exactly as you do, and even your perception changes all the time. Even you, won't be able to perceive the exact same thing twice because as you change your perception does too.

So if our perception changes with each moment, and each moment is infinitely short what substance does it have? Afterall, the Rutherford experiment from 1909 proves that matter is 99.99% made of nothing. Some say the world is an illusion but this word carries negative energy. Maybe something more appropriate would be to call the world an emotion, as emotions do not have substance, yet they can influence our actions.

What is the use of all that? Well, if to a person the world is only objective and real, they will attach to it, to their perceptions of it (forgive me if my english is not correct here). But, as the world has no real substance, and is always changing, they will probably feel miserable because they won't be able to anchor their beliefs to anything solid. Whereas, if they are aware of the world's inconsistency, they will build accepting any result that may come and they will be happy no matter what the outcome is. Isn't that right? So I believe this newage thinking is quite good to feel happy :D

But this is spirituality 101 and you must have heard this a lot already, haven't you? To answer your other question, the part of me that lives in the relative realm do plan. But my practice is to plan less and to accept the result whatever the outcome more.

You said : "With my demise comes nothingness and that in turn creates an urgency to have meaning while I am here." But I am not sure I get your point as what I understand is this. My death will bring my eternal disappearance, so I will do something to matter to others that will ultimately become non-inexistent as well. Isn't it like nothing that does something for nothing? Is it not irrational? If you do not fear death, would you say you plan beacause you fear irrationality? And what does this word even means? Is irrationality bad and why? (Real questions)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312090 by
Over the past couple of weeks we have had a good amount of conversation on balance. Now the word balance itself has several definitions, e.g. an accounting term to describe an account settled of all transactions, physical equilibrium, even distribution of weight, an aesthetically pleasing integration of elements, mental and emotional steadiness, a mechanical oscillating wheel in watches and clocks, etc. It's no surprise that we all have our own views and meanings with the term. So I was curious for everyone to put into your words what balance means to you in relation to your Jedi path.

For myself, balance represents two main aspects. The first is my emotional state. I seek balance, which is a calm and collected state. In this state I can easily make logical choices with little emotional interference. It is a state of mindfulness and relative inner peace.
The second aspect is my balance of health. I must pay attention to myself to insure that my physical needs, my mental needs, and my spiritual needs are being satisfied in a way that no one area is in danger of causing me harm. This involves insuring that I read/write, that I train physically/eat well, and that I communicate/study the themes of religion and philosophies.

What is balance in your path?(Note this isn't a debate. These are personal definitions. Please be respectful of others.)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 2 months ago #312119 by Adder

What is balance in your path?(Note this isn't a debate. These are personal definitions. Please be respectful of others.)

Nice question, here is my Monday morning thought about my path :D

Firstly temporal distribution, how much on the past, present and future. This level is really quite a command paradigm to the subconscious (as much as it lets us) and acts as a deontological instruction set, which means it will inherently work better when 'written' in a virtue type of paradigm.

Secondly, body, being posture, balance, proprioception and spatial mapping. This level is to anchor against bad habits, and distractions from the first level. It's a set of tensions, flows and other dynamics.

Thirdly, the creative spark, settling in the now... to align 'flow' between the other two levels, and as such promote a depth/resonance in the experience of self by allowing the overflow of excess energy to be constructive. The 'flow' connects the thought to the feeling. The more coherent it is, the stronger it will be. Which is why dark or negative traits tend to be counter-productive and instead only giving the illusion of power through the conflict of dissonance. The benefit of depth is it broadens the contexts available to function effectively throughout each of the levels, itself included ie growth. This is information (theoretical and applied) as networks of relational attributes.

Each level benefiting from its own signs, symbols and rituals, to effect balance of body and mind with environment.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #312124 by
As I have mentioned before, I don't believe in balance. I believe in the never ending, inevitable march towards chaos from order. The universe experiences this through entropy and I experience this in my never ceasing march towards death, ultimate chaos for me personally. Because of that i want to live my life in a state of not tranquility but passion. I want to embrace suffering as the most viable means to fend off the inevitability of my death. I suffer to maintain my health, my career, my hobbies, everything through sacrifice and I welcome the experience of the extremes of all my emotions. This gives my life meaning, the raging against the machine bent on my demise. In the end the dark will win but I will go to my grave knowing I fought the good and noble fight!

Does not believing in balance make me "not a Jedi"? In contrast to jlspinners qualifier, I welcome the debate!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312127 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: As I have mentioned before, I don't believe in balance. I believe in the never ending, inevitable march towards chaos from order. The universe experiences this through entropy and I experience this in my never ceasing march towards death, ultimate chaos for me personally. Because of that i want to live my life in a state of not tranquility but passion. I want to embrace suffering as the most viable means to fend off the inevitability of my death. I suffer to maintain my health, my career, my hobbies, everything through sacrifice and I welcome the experience of the extremes of all my emotions. This gives my life meaning, the raging against the machine bent on my demise. In the end the dark will win but I will go to my grave knowing I fought the good and noble fight!

Does not believing in balance make me "not a Jedi"? In contrast to jlspinners qualifier, I welcome the debate!

I enjoy debating. But at this point I'm looking for opinions. I've seen so many definitions of this word recently that I'd like to see where everyone stands. This week is more of understanding the views of others.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #312129 by

JLSpinner wrote: I enjoy debating. But at this point I'm looking for opinions. I've seen so many definitions of this word recently that I'd like to see where everyone stands. This week is more of understanding the views of others.

That's perfectly fine. Seek your opinions by all means and I will seek my debate. After all this is a public thread. And in that I think both options are viable. Would you agree?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi