What is Atheism?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307137 by
What is Atheism? was created by
Hey I've been curious is athiesm the belief there is no God or just abstinace from religeon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307138 by
Replied by on topic What is Atheism?
Essentially it's the belief there is no god.

Here's a quick run-down courtesy of the inter-webs.
http://www.dictionary.com/e/atheism-agnosticism/

More
6 years 4 months ago #307145 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is Atheism?
Atheism can have difrent definitions and difrent interpitations.
Some can practice in no religions and no organizations . Some can just refuse any god like type. Some can believe in man only and mans ability solely. Some see religion as only man based as in some one behind the curtain. Most definitions out there are from religion or given by religions influence. The word Secular can be a good example. Many difrent ways of atheism are available . Some may call difrent interpitations of Jedi ism atheistic as some practices of Jedi ism give no credit to dieties and only focus on results and the end result.
In the end , your own definition can add to the many available. That may be just the tip of the ice burg but I hope that is some help to the vast avalibility of a single label like atheism. Here we believe in the inherit worth of all , even their difrent definitions they bring to the table. May the Force be with you as you seek it , if you do.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 4 months ago #307146 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What is Atheism?
A-theism: no god.

To what degree you allow the possibility that there might be some kind of god (or supreme inteligence), and how this influences your approach to life and your tolerance of other religions is where the variety lies.

Some people are religious (shared culture of beliefs and practices) while being atheists. Buddhism is an example.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 4 months ago #307147 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic What is Atheism?
Atheism by definition is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods. There can be religious atheists so long as they do not believe in a god like the Church of Satan or by some peoples understanding some Buddhists. There can be spiritual atheists that believe in magic/ritual/and an afterlife but no god or gods. Really the term Atheist is a description of your belief in a deity of some sort and not much more.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307149 by
There are also soft and hard atheists. A soft athiest might doubt the existence of a god or could be agnostic(unsure). Hard atheists on the other hand fully deny the existence of a god.

More
6 years 4 months ago #307151 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What is Atheism?

JLSpinner wrote: There are also soft and hard atheists. A soft athiest might doubt the existence of a god or could be agnostic(unsure). Hard atheists on the other hand fully deny the existence of a god.

And on the same note, you have atheists who don't care if others believe in God, and militant atheists who are actively trying to surpress belief in God, either by political action, proselytism, and even bullying.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Carlos.Martinez3,

More
6 years 4 months ago #307152 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic What is Atheism?
No Religion? 7 Types of Non-Believers

Religious labels help shore up identity. So what are some of the things non-believers can call themselves?

By Valerie Tarico / AlterNet June 3, 2012, 6:00 PM GMT

https://www.alternet.org/story/155685/no_religion_7_types_of_non-believers

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Valerie Tarico is a psychologist and writer in Seattle, Washington and the founder of Wisdom Commons. She is the author of "Trusting Doubt: A Former Evangelical Looks at Old Beliefs in a New Light" and "Deas and Other Imaginings." Her articles can be found at Awaypoint.Wordpress.com.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307159 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is Atheism?
*** Religious labels help shore up identity. So what are some of the things non-believers can call themselves?

People - humans - two legg ed - homo sapeans : I got plenty lol !
This is where labels start to clash . Can u call some one or label some one somthimg without religious glow or intent ? Kinna hard hu?

Attachment IMG_0288_2017-11-28.JPG not found

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307210 by
a-/an-: (Greek: prefix) no, absence of, without, lack of

A-theism: No god, absence of god, without god, lack of god

A-gnostic: no knowledge, absence of knowledge, without knowledge, lack of knowledge

By these definitions, I am an agnostic atheist. That is, I don't know, definitely, that there is one, but I conduct my life as if there is not. On top of that, I believe that this is the one and only life we have and that there is more to life than preparing for the next. I've got to take care of where I live, with whom I live, and others that I care about. This is the human experience and we are here for a limited time, individually. I feel as if I need to make this one life count, so I conduct myself accordingly.

Religion is a personal preference. True, Satanism is considered a religion, but, as has been pointed out, a belief in a god is not required to be religious. Taoism and Buddhism could be considered atheistic, but there are theistic paths for each. As I'm not one to hold reverence for ceremony, I am also not religious.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi