How To Change The Story In Your Head

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307031 by
I am not sure if this belongs here but I thought it would be too big for the community section as status. I came across this article How To Change The Story In Your Head That’s Stopping You From Succeeding . At first, I wasn't sure what to think of it but at some point, I started to see the value in it so I decided to share it with you. So go read it because next, I'll be sharing my thoughts and understanding of it.

Make it about the work and the principles behind it — not about a glorious vision.
To do otherwise is ego and folly.

I condensed the whole article to this advice to myself: There is no time, we live here and now. Every vision of what the future might have in store for us is just hope that something will happen or a story we tell ourselves. We should focus on the present and not worry/think of what the future will be. If we give our best now we might get something nice in the future yet no one can be sure of that and we have to accept it even if nothing good comes of it. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the article as well. Did you find anything in it that helped you?

May the Force be with you, friends.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307034 by
"Your focus determines your reality" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Looking at a situation differently can really help you, but one must keep in mind that sometimes what happened happened, and to accept it rather than mentally change it. Those that get too good at these mental acrobatics have a risk of becoming delusional, imo. ;)

A great article though! :)

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307042 by Cyan Sarden
Doing well whatever you do (or have to do) - it‘s an ideal worth striving for. But it‘s so darn hard. Lack of motivation, work that doesn‘t make 100% sense to you etc, most of us are confronted with that on a regular basis. So it‘s not just about living in the moment, it‘s self-motivation, seeing intrinsic value in everything.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Cyan Sarden.

More
6 years 4 months ago #307043 by MadHatter
One thing that I noticed is the idea that you live in the here and now and do the work well. But you cannot lead or get to any destination without a plan for the future. I cannot drive from Califonia to Maine without planning to do so. I cannot just focus on the here and now of my driving. I must know where I want the driving to take me. The same with the football story in the article. He had to know what he wanted his standards to achieve otherwise he could not have set them up. You must know what a good pass or good drill is before you set standards to reach for it.
So I get the advice in that TOO much planning and an unhealthy ego can botch the things that got you to the top or stop you from getting there. But on the flipside, no vision for the future and no planning at all will leave you spinning your wheels where you stand now. So like most things in life, this is a middle ground issue.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

More
6 years 4 months ago #307047 by Carlos.Martinez3
I liked this story. Reminds me of many things I have faced in my own personal life.
I'm an old army man myself. Each unit in the US army has a deployment status. There are many lists and things that go with this but basically there's a percentage of the people who are ready to be deployed today. There are a number of people who are not . Up to date shot records, living wills and testaments , PT scores , there's a whole slew of things for some one to be considered deployable. With the more people the more may go wrong missing or just neglected. One day my First Sgt said " sgt martinez, can u get us up to you status, is it easy? " he was talking about my deploy able status, I kept mine up and up and ready to deploy at a moments notice . ( I was one who had a very common need for as far as jobs were concerned, a unit would ask I would say yes and deploy with them) so I said , " Top, ( a first sgt slang word) Top , give the unit to me from PT till EOB" PT or physical training - till End of business day . PT began in my day @0430. We began discipline all overs again. Showing up on time , appointments ... simple basic things that were neglected over time and no accountable leadership . 6 months later , we as a unit were at 100 percent ready to deploy. I got passed around a few units for such tasks and needless to say things began for myself and my family that we never would have dreamed. Does it take work to succeed ? Yes. Can u change what's in your head ? Yup. Is it worth it ? Some may kick and scream and that's fine, but to those who succeed it's rarely a fluke or a lucky thing. Success normally takes work and preparation and constant tending .tou have to keep it as well. It begins some times ... well in the Morning at PT - at the begining of every day when you start.
Some religions and ideas say wake and make . Begin in thought , select the mood be in a mood of this idea or that. For the most part , it works. Faithfulness almost Always FINDS FAVOR or makes it !
We can make our own path what we like or .. dislike . Our choice every day ... it begins well, at the begining .
Thanks for the article and the walk down memory lane .
Whooooo rahhh...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307076 by
Very, very interesting. This article helped me realize something about myself.

In my teens and early twenties, I had a grand vision. I wanted to build the first Jedi Temple, or something to that effect. The more I thought about it, the grander it became. Then, when I was 23, I crashed my car into a tractor trailer, nearly killing myself. That's when grandness disappeared for me. I wasn't going to become some great teacher or martial artist. I was humbled about as much as a person can handle. Most of my body was injured, but not my head. My brain survived untouched. My mind is as sharp as ever. I can only assume that means that my purpose is to use it and forget about all that grand crap.

These days I live life one day at a time. I have NO idea what the future holds, and I honestly don't care.

On a side note, have you ever thought what "Now" is? Time can be sliced into billionths of a second, each passing faster than we can notice. So what is now? Now has already passed. And now that "now" has already passed. I don't believe in a Now anymore, or Time for that matter. Everything just IS.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi