LGBT Extreme Discrimination Legalized in Mississippi

More
6 years 6 months ago #304078 by MadHatter

Lykeios wrote: I am, to at least some degree, a libertarian. However, people are assholes and do not have a right to treat another human being as second class or "less than" because of their beliefs. America was (allegedly) founded on the idea that "all men are created equal," are we to just reject that in favor of protecting the right of racist assholes to be racist assholes? Or sexist assholes? Or rapist assholes? Or religious assholes?

As an hourly wage-worker I do not have the right to deny service to ANYONE because of my beliefs. What about MY right to be an asshole? What, because I don't "own" the property the business is built on I don't have the right to assert my religious/racist/whatever assholery?

Technically I don't own the house I live in, does that mean I have to just let whoever wants to do so walk into my home? Does my landlord get to treat me like shit because me and my family are pagans?

Should the Amish people in my area be allowed to deny service/sales to women because they're sexist assholes?

If your right to be an asshole trumps my right to use legal currency to purchase something based on your assumptions about me based on my appearance then what the hell is the point of having a legal currency? The United States constitution does NOT exist to protect anyone's right to treat someone as less than they are. If it does then we need to abandon any and all delusions that we're a civilized, developed country built on a foundation of equality and liberty. Your personal liberties do not trump my own.

You can SAY whatever the hell you want about me, but the first amendment (nor any other part of the Constitution that I'm aware of) does not protect denial of service based on bullshit claims of personal belief.

Apparently you disagree with the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The entire United States is covered by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin. Places of “public accommodation” include hotels, restaurants, theaters, banks, health clubs and stores.

Quote taken from legalzoom.com (https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/the-right-to-refuse-service-can-a-business-refuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance)

'

Yes, you can quote the law if you like and the law once allowed you to own people. So the law is not the granter of liberty it is its protector. And you do not have the right to shop in someone's store. Yes, you are right that an employee does not have the right to discriminate if his employer says otherwise because they own the property and you agree to follow their rules when you take the job. Further, the law grants you some level of ownership to your house when you live in it. You control the property via your rental of it. You pay to control it. Yes the constitution does protect your right to express your beliefs and control your property as you will. Further, the point of legal tender is to give a standard currency to pay for debts public and private. Meaning if all else fails a person HAS to take that as payment for a DEBT that means you already owe them. They gave you something be it a good or a service. If you do not give them anything then you cannot demand anything from them. I disagree with these things being forced via law. Not the values behind them. Like I said I do not like the values of some religions but I dont want to ban their practice. I do not like how some people use speech but I do not want to ban free speech. Just because I do not like how some people would use their property rights I do not agree with using the law to say follow my morals or you cant make a living in the manner you wish.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #304079 by Alethea Thompson
The church has no right telling the government they cannot recognize a same-sex marriage.

And Same-Sex couples have no right to have the government force a clergy member to marry them (or force them to let you use their facility)

It is simple enough to get married, and you don't even need a clergy member. You can go to the townhall, get married and then have your non-ordained friend perform the ceremony if you're that pressed to find a master of ceremony- and perform the wedding in a public park for a location.

Now, that said, a Christian pastor that honestly believes it is blasphemy to perform such a wedding isn't worth their weight in salt (in the eyes of the Lord) if they are unwilling to stand their ground to the point of imprisonment. Just saying, many of God's prophets and apostles found themselves imprisoned because they obeyed the Lord- why shouldn't a Christian Pastor expect to escape such themselves?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 6 months ago #304080 by Br. John
One thing that is not a right is operating any business you please without a license or permit. A condition of getting that permit and operating a business is following the law. The Civil Rights Act (in The US) makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race.

You have the right to expel someone from your business if they are stealing from you, causing a disruption that rises to the level of disturbing the peace, or damaging property.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Lykeios Little Raven, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 6 months ago #304081 by Lykeios Little Raven
I give up. There's apparently no use reasoning with someone who actually thinks people should be allowed to discriminate against other people in a business providing goods and services to the public in a supposedly civilized country that supposedly supports both liberty AND equality.

Good riddance and goodbye.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #304082 by MadHatter

Br. John wrote: One thing that is not a right is operating any business you please without a license or permit. A condition of getting that permit and operating a business is following the law. The Civil Rights Act (in The US) makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race.

You have the right to expel someone from your business if they are stealing from you, causing a disruption that rises to the level of disturbing the peace, or damaging property.

Yes and those same laws used to legalize owning people and deny the right of integrated school systems. ( A thing you pay for and thus have a right to) So the law again is no granter of rights. In fact, its more often used to infringe on them than protect them. I cant set a dress code for my business by saying no gang colors or black tie and deny you entry as well. Both are things that the government cant really do. Its a private property and should not be subject to government moral codes.

I might not like how people would use it. But as I said you going to order a gay man to work on Westboro Baptist churchs computers or go to jail/be unable to provide for yourself?

• Lykeios wrote: I give up. There's apparently no use reasoning with someone who actually thinks people should be allowed to discriminate against other people in a business providing goods and services to the public in a supposedly civilized country that supposedly supports both liberty AND equality.

Good riddance and goodbye.

Like I said I do not have to like a person's morals to support their right to live by them even if it might negatively impact me. Further, we are a country of equality before the law, not pure equality. Because you are fine when discriminating who comes into your home or who you sell your car to. But if you make it a profession and are open about the discrimination suddenly its an issue? That does not add up. We discriminate against people every day in our private lives why businesses are some exception is beyond me. I might not like it but that does not mean I will force others to live as I might.

Knight of the Order
    Training Master: Jestor
    Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
    Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
    Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by MadHatter.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi