1st Supersonic Flight 70 Years Ago

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303905 by
On October 14th 1947, Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier for the first time flying out of Edwards Air Force Base over the desert of Southern California. Just moments ago, in recognition of the 70th anniversary of his legendary first supersonic flight, a formation of modern supersonic military jets just flew over my workplace. An F-16 Fighting Falcon, F-15 Eagle, F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II just flew overhead at low altitude in a diamond formation. They weren't just cruising either. While nowhere near supersonic, estimates put them travelling around 450mph!

It's amazing to think that we have gone from biplanes and blimps in WWI to aircraft capable of over nine times the speed of sound in just a hundred years. Imagine what the future might bring!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303906 by
Still one of the most moving things to see, imo. I love watching those planes fly. In another life, I was an avionics guy for F-16's. It never got old watching them. :) Thanks for sharing this!

More
6 years 5 months ago #304065 by Adder
Maybe a good candi-date for an International Test Pilot appreciation day!!! :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi