Was Yoda right? or Wrong?

More
6 years 6 months ago #303080 by Eleven
There has been a lot of serious matters of late on the forum and I was pondering this earlier today and thought maybe lighten the mood a little and talk about Star Wars. I was thinking earliar today and if you haven't seen Episode 7 please don't continue the reading but, I would think most have by now.

I was kind of thinking to myself episode 7 starts 30 years after the events of episode 6 Return of the Jedi and we all know it's not "George Lucas Episode 7" but, how different it is compared to what some thought it would be and some who we're disappointed. I was kind of disappointed because of Kylo Ren destroying everything Luke had built and he goes into exile but, it did make me wonder to myself, "Is this based off the choices we saw in ESB?"

Which, comes to my original thoughts of this subject. Yoda, told Luke not to go to Cloud City and that he needed to complete his training. Luke kept insisting that he would come back and he needed to help his friends. Yoda makes the interesting argument, "If you go help them you could but, you would destroy everything they worked so hard for and suffered." I begun to go back to how the ending of ESB and ROTJ ended and it seems like Yoda and Obi Wan weren't right...about anything Vader in particular.

Going back to ESB I wonder if he hadn't went to Cloud City...what if he stayed and trained would he have been able to prevent the events that happened 30 years later? Having more experience? Quite possible still having hid hand that was cut off by Vader? Still in the possession of his original lightsaber? How could this single event have changed the entire cannon or how we perceive the original and sequels (Episode 7 only at this point).

***Please don't discuss Episode 8 the last Jedi in this thread please*** Keep on subject please.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303083 by
Replied by on topic Was Yoda right? or Wrong?
I don't think he was wrong, but for sure if Luke had stayed and trained it would have stopped his temple from being destroyed.

For one, Ben Solo wouldn't have been born. XD Second, he would have been more powerful.

But in the end, it was destined to happen. The Force must remain in balance. Time and time again during the Legends' narrative light wins and is destroyed by dark, and then the light wins again. The brighter the light, the darker the shadow casted, and the darker the shadow, the brighter light becomes. Over and over again.

So, in my mind, it needs to happen. Until the Jedi return to their roots, it will happen again and again.

Fun fact, the Jed'aii homeworld of Tython actually negatively reacted to too much light side or dark side energy. So it was in the best interest of the Jed'aii to keep balanced. They had two moons, one bathed in dark side energy and the other bathed in the light. If one found themselves going too far one way or the other, they would go and meditate on one of the moons or the other in order to balance themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303084 by
Lukes "original" lightsaber was vaders old one. He was meant to lose that and he was meant to lose his hand as his father did but make a different choose as a result. It was the force that drove luke to his path, not Yoda. Yoda was wrong about almost everything. The Force has always known what Yoda could never see. That the Jedi are as imbalanced as the sith. Both need to be destroyed. Also the reason Lukes new order was destroyed.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303085 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Was Yoda right? or Wrong?
We know Vader could feel Luke in the Force, so perhaps Vader was feeling Luke out.... such that if Luke had not fallen for Vader's trap then he might have been better able to both rescue his friends and deal with the Empire. Information is power, and being played by Vader taught Vader a few things about Luke, which eroded some element of surprise - especially considering how vast the powers of the Force could be in the fiction, Vader was old and weak and probably quite curious as to what he was facing.

Or perhaps Yoda was testing Luke's resolve to ensure he had the proper focus going into the adhoc rescue, as it could be argued that a teacher cares less about being seen as right, and more about the student learning what is right. Yoda is never wrong :P :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303368 by
I don't really like to speculate, but I think Yoda was right. Luke made a mistake in leaving because he accomplished nothing. He wasn't ready to face Vader, and his friends suffered whether Luke showed up or not.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303391 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Was Yoda right? or Wrong?
I agree Streen I don't think he was ready and I often look back and reflect whether or not it would have mattered if he showed up or not. Yes, he helped aid in leia, chewie and the gang escape but, Lando was already on top of that I often wonder to myself was it necessary for Luke to go? Han that couldnt have been avoided I don't think. I believe, Luke suffered more due to the fact his hand was lost to vader fight, he found out the truth about Vader being his father but, that could also open up the fact how would Luke respond in ROTJ if he found out in the presence of the emporer? But, that is another subject completely. But, I often wonder how more he could of learned from Yoda if he had stayed? How would ROTJ and TFA been different?

Mad Hatter, I don't want you to think I don't agree with you alot of your key points are amazing and great observations and I love it!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303718 by
When I think about ROTJ on this topic, it makes me think of Luke's last conversation with Yoda...

Yoda: Your father he is. Told you did he? Unexpected this is, and unfortunate.
Luke: Unfortunate that I know the truth?
Yoda: No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him. That incomplete was your training. That not ready for the
burden were you.

Seems pretty cut and dry in Yoda's opinion that Luke made a mistake. On the other hand, it was Vader's destiny to kill the Emperor, not Luke's. All Luke needed was his conviction to be a Jedi and not join the Sith. The Emperor zapped Luke, Luke almost died, which made Vader angry, Vader killed the Emperor, and thus the end of the Sith.

So I guess it doesn't matter whether Luke left Dagobah early or not. Vader/Anakin was the chosen one. Luke was just a pivot point for Vader to do what he was meant to do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303725 by
Yoda is ALWAYS RIGHT! LOL, but seriously...

After 900 years of being Jedi and training Jedi, Yoda was not interested in being right. He was trying to train Luke (who was too old to begin with) to put his faith in the Force rather than in himself. Yoda attempted to make Luke understand that he is an instrument of the Force, and his training was crucial to being effective in whatever the Force called upon him to do. Yoda also understood that Luke needed to have faith in his friends, but if they were meant to die, that was also the will of the Force. When Luke left, Yoda and Obi Wan both understood that Luke was in way over his head, but they had to let him go. It was the only way Luke would ever understand his role in the saga of Darth Vader and his redemption by defeating the Emperor.

Anakin, as the chosen one, was destined to bring balance to the Force. It would've happened with or without Luke, but Yoda realized Luke could be the instrument that made it all happen the way it did. That is why Yoda was content at the time of his death. His work was finished.

After the destruction of his own Jedi Order at the hands of Kylo Ren, I believe Luke finally understands that he must give himself over to the Force and allow it to guide him, rather than trying to use it for his own purposes. Otherwise, he risks the same fate as Vader and Kylo. When one tries too hard to harness the Force for personal gain, they ultimately fall. Instead, Luke is taking the path that Yoda did. He is doing only what he must, but no more. He is waiting to be called upon, but until then, he is keeping his powers to himself. We'll have to see what kind of trouble Rey drags him into in The Last Jedi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi