• Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
6 years 8 months ago #297218 by Br. John
Nothing was created by Br. John
“Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith.

Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love.

No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore we must be saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, The Irony of American History

To the loneliest one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahzknrtutpi8hbu/A%20Saucer%20Of%20Loneliness.rtf?dl=0

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #297235 by thomaswfaulkner
Replied by thomaswfaulkner on topic Nothing
This is quite brilliant. After the first read through, I was left with quite the bitter taste in my mouth due to how it leaned more towards a pessimistic outlook on action/inaction, but the more I read it, the more the intent of the message became clear. The first sentence, "Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope." was the initial gut punch of this quote. Essentially, this is requiring us to look within ourselves to see if the actions that we are putting into motion are geared towards a goal to the betterment of others. A selfless action worth discovering. I suppose the idea can stem from an individual or small group, but that the importance of the message should be resonated in the hearts of others for enough time for the concept to blossom. This requires faith and social involvement. But to understand intention, one must study their role in both their own life and the life they share with others. Set the example for others to follow, that is rooted in compassion and forgiveness, because understanding is the first step to moving forward.

Thanks for sharing this Br. John. It really gets the mental gears going. :)

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi