Freedom to Take Risks

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #291195 by
Replied by on topic Freedom to Take Risks
Oh Leah, you do like to live dangerously on these sorts of topics don't you? Lol

I'm going to say this for all to hear and fully understand: IT IS NEVER THE VICTIM'S FAULT. That part is simple and I don't think that anyone here disagrees.

However, there are always steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of becoming a victim. Saying so is not victim blaming, it is arming people with the knowledge and tools to protect themselves. This applies to all types of crime. Now, if after the fact you tell the victim, "Well you shouldn't have done that/should have done this instead." That is victim blaming. Preparing people ahead of time is common sense. Big difference.

Examples: "Don't walk down the dark alley late at night alone, you could be attacked." Preparing a person. "Well of course you got attacked, you walked down a dark alley at night. What did you expect?" Victim blaming.

"Here's how to defend yourself from an attack." Preparing. "If you had a weapon/knew martial arts this wouldn't have happened." Victim blaming.

As for institutional accountability vs personal responsibility my only issue is when people say that they have NO responsibility to protect themselves. When it's the bar's fault that the drunk guy fell outside and hit his head. When the only question asked is "what can the system do for me?" Instead of "what can WE do TOGETHER?"

I was raised to believe that the first person responsible for my wellbeing is me, not the school, not the government, not the police, me.

We'd all like to live in a world where we don't have to think about this kind of stuff. A world where we don't need weapons or the ability to defend ourselves. A world where I could stand in a dark alley in Chicago in a suit made of $100 bills and no one would even think of taking them from me but that is not the world we live in yet. Some day maybe that world will exist but until that time I'm going to prepare myself for what can happen in the world I live in now. I'm going to learn how to mitigate risks and protect myself from bad things happening to me. It is not victim blaming to suggest that others do the same.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #291202 by Carlos.Martinez3
When I read this and watched this a old farmer came to mind . At breakfast he told me some people live on the fence and never touch the ground. I like bein Jedi. I like being me. I like you for who you are. I find the word victim hard to work with. My own opinion . You got your I got mine . I still back you in your search as I do every one. This none we can't see eye to eye but I love the stuff I'm reading . Helps me see more . Thank you so much for helping me see more thru your eyes. they ceartin ly are searching ! Keep up the search , seek and you will find. Free will is a wonderful thing but a tool to some a himderance to others and a mystery to all.free will is one of the most toughest things in a Jedi is purse pocket wallet backpack or person to have handy and ready. Not an easy thing. We all need our own definition and our own practice in this field especially ! Thanks again for the good stuff to add to my every day Jedi ism !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi